How much for an Irish Draught

Syrah

Visit site
I'm looking to get some ideas for a friend who's looking to buy an Irish Draught.

As they rarely come up for sale at 5+, she's looking for something around 4yrs + old, backed and preferably a gelding, doesn't need to be a world beater at any discipline.

How much are they selling for?

I've had a look on the IDHS site, there's one on there for £3k.

Thanks in advance :)

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
My experience of searching would suggest 5k as a starting average price for anything decent, if she is wanting an ID she will want to have a blue or green passport and this is more value than a white.
I found that what was advertised as ID was often an ISH which is different or could not be proven as an ID. There were plenty of 'Irish horses' around for 3k but there was no breed history.
Hope this helps

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
If you are wanting something that isn't particularly show quality then I would have thought 3-4k tops for a gelding which has only done the basics. My RID rising 6yr old mare who hasn't done much other than hacking, pleasure rides and popping the odd xc fence so far wouldn't be worth more than 4 1/2k in todays market but she's not for sale. They have generally come down in price with the recession although the breeders who put a lot of time and effort into producing horses will want to make a living and you'd probably pay a little more from them than a private sale. Perhaps get your friend to put a wanted advert on the IDHS (GB) website if they can't find what they are looking for.
Supply and demand does push the price up but if you are in the right place at the right time there's always a good buy to be had.

Syrah

Visit site
That's a good idea, I'll suggest that. It'll be a few weeks before she starts looking properly and she's not looking for County Show level.

Some great advice, thanks all and a lovely pm too, lots to go on.