How much for muck heap removal?

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I've just bought myself a muck trailer but first the lovely farmer next door is going to move my existing muck heap and won't tell me how much it will cost. Can anyone give me an idea please? I'm guessing there might be over a trailers worth there already (farm trailer, not the massive one but not as small as my trailer) although to be truthful, spatial awareness and estimating volume isn't my strong suit so I will know more when he actually comes to move it! I'm in the Midlands if that helps :)

chaps89

Visit site
Blimey. I think we're being had.
I pay £12.50 every 8 weeks, there's 5 of us (but we have anything from 1-4 horses each) on the yard so £62.50 every other month, £375 a year :eek: That or I'm being charged more than my fair share?!

(Sorry OP, de-railing your thread somewhat!)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Blimey. I think we're being had.
I pay £12.50 every 8 weeks, there's 5 of us (but we have anything from 1-4 horses each) on the yard so £62.50 every other month, £375 a year :eek: That or I'm being charged more than my fair share?!

(Sorry OP, de-railing your thread somewhat!)
Chaps, I pay 70 to 80 for mine, that's to the top of the iron all 4 sides and stamped on hard, fills the huge muck spreader and sometimes he has to return to fit the rest in (max is an additional quarter load) or completely fills a high sided big farm trailer. He comes spring and autumn.

chaps89

Visit site
Hmm, ok, I suppose if you multiply up by the number of horses ours perhaps isn't so bad?
In summer 1 comes in daily, 4 others come in a couple of times a week, 6 others live out. In winter all will be stabled, some for 20 odd hours at a time (at which point I'll be very surprised if our muck trailer lasts 8 weeks but what do I know!)
We've only just moved to a muck trailer, before it was a big muck pile that you walked and tipped on, it had been there years!

alibali

Visit site
Two big tubs of sweeties once or twice a year (or a couple of big boxes of biscuits) I never ask for it to be removed but the muck heap fairies arrive when it suits them and sometimes it just disappears when I'm out ? I make sure that the thank you arrives promptly!

Mari

Visit site
Crikey wish I could find muck removers like you lot! Doesn’t matter whether I get it spread on my field or taken away it still costs me around £200 a time. I have 3 horses that come in at night.

Nicnac

Visit site
I have been quoted £300 & £320 from two people and got another guy coming tomorrow as I refuse to pay that much! Two horses so not huge and it's a year's worth of shavings so doesn't rot down as well as straw.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Depends on the amount of muck and accessesability which then dictates what the farmer can use for removal. The bedding you use and how much you muck out will determine how much muck you have. We had a 10'x6' trailer which needed emptying between 3-5weeks depending on the time of year was £25. We now have a freestanding muck heap and it cost £60 for removal and that was September to March - so the muckyest time of year. The muck trailers are really expensive and we needed a new one (the old one basically collapsed) so tried free standing muck heap - works much better for us

WandaMare

Visit site
We pay £160 for 2 horses worth of muck a year. Farmer arrives when it suits him and spreads it straight onto his fields, never really understood why I'm paying him as my field is on the way to where he spreads it, so no additional cost to him and he's fertilising his land, but I guess its still a service so I don't mind paying.

gallopingby

Visit site
Nice box of chocolates at Christmas for my neighbours who take it when they’re ready to spread on their fields. They also keep the electric fencing ticking over, but it’s mostly for their ? ? ? who live next door.

julesjoy

Visit site
Can't quite remember if it's 120 or 140 for the waste disposal man with the grabber to come for a load once a year.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is interesting. I have mine taken away free but I’m not allowed wood based bedding as it takes nitrogen out of the land as it rots, straw types add nitrogen which is of course the aim.
Ive tried so many types of dust free non wood bedding as one coughs but dislike most of them.
The above makes me wonder if it may be ok to have two heaps, a free big straw/field poo one and a little as possible shavings one that I’ll pay to remove!