How much for retirement livery?

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
How much is the going rate for retirement livery for a horse living out with shelter but not stabled? We are in West Midlands. X

Hannahgb

Visit site
Mine is 138 a month plus feed and hay. That includes twice daily checks and rug changes. I also paid 200 a month for similar, included hay, worst care I've ever seen though!

Edited to say 138 not 1338!!

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Mine is 138 a month plus feed and hay. That includes twice daily checks and rug changes. I also paid 200 a month for similar, included hay, worst care I've ever seen though!

Edited to say 138 not 1338!!

gosh. That seems a bit steep. My friend has asked me to put her horse on my yard for retirement but not something I’ve done before. X

mavandkaz

Visit site
That's it, I'm moving.
When I looked for retirement livery around here (south central) everything was around the £250 mark. I am now paying £300 a month, it is an unbelievable place and he is being spoilt rotten. But not sure I can really afford it long term.

planete

Visit site
That's it, I'm moving.
When I looked for retirement livery around here (south central) everything was around the £250 mark. I am now paying £300 a month, it is an unbelievable place and he is being spoilt rotten. But not sure I can really afford it long term.

I used to pay £140 a month but I had to pay for all feed, forage, wormers, trimming. etc. It averaged out at around £300 a month and the fencing was not good. If you add everything up you may find it is not be worth your while looking for somewhere cheaper if £300 is all inclusive.

tiahatti

Visit site
£200 a month . She has has own field ( her companion passed away this year), twice daily checks & hay in winter. I'm very happy with her care.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
There’s a yard locally to me that I once enquired at, I think it was either £40 or £45 per week.
They have a huge field which gets poo picked. They get checked and given hay when needed. They also have a good little fenced hard standing area.
There is a yard a little way away but I assume that means a stable in an emergency (thinking injury) they stay out in all weather, loads of natural shelter.

catembi

Visit site
Mine was £195 per month & was in Suffolk. Came back with raging mud fever, matted mane, tail on the floor & feet possibly hadn't been touched for the duration. Also covered in bites & scrapes. (I am sharing in case it helps other people. I thought my boy was 'safe' while I concentrated on divorce, job change, further job change, house move from hell involving 4 properties falling through...)

hock

Visit site
I have a horse on livery at a wonderful place called PB barefoot rehab and retirement livery. A lady called Alyson owns and runs it and she is incredibly knowledgeable kind and approachable. I sent her a very weak 3 year old with appalling feet. He was so weak behind he couldn’t lift his hinds at all to be trimmed. He’s been on a track system and what a difference it’s made to him in every way. He was very awkward socially as well and being in a herd on a track system has also helped him to learn the pecking order and social graces. She is on Facebook, I pay £280 a month.

alibali

Visit site
gosh. That seems a bit steep. My friend has asked me to put her horse on my yard for retirement but not something I’ve done before. X

I'd have to say it's sounds very reasonable to me. My horse is kept at home and hasnt worked due to an ongoing injury all winter. When I consider the offset outlay of purchasing ground/stables over about 25 years plus maintenance of property £138 would leave me earning about £3 an hour for the privilege of looking after him if he belonged to someone else! And that would be if his hypothetical owner was providing his feed, hay foot care etc. Retired horses still need a basic level of care the same as working horses, for example they still poo as much as working horses! Obviously Id have the property as an asset at the end of 25 years but I'd be living on baked beans in the meantime! I really don't understand how many livery yard owners manage to make ends meet, hats off to them. Clearly I'd never make it in the business ?

lannerch

Visit site
£25 wk at ours. With foot trim and basic feed incl.
That’s ridiculously cheap lucky you, I pay £195 a month includes everything except Wormers , standard of care is excellent even in the wet winter we have just had , out 24 hours in an established herd all horses look fabulous. That is in cheshire.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
2 good ones not far from me are both £200 pcm which includes hay in winter and 2 x yearly worming and a worm count or 2. Farrier is extra. If requiring stable for any reason, one charges extra £10 per day which includes basic bedding.

lar

Visit site
I pay £163.50 per month which includes hay in winter and feet trimming. The owner comes down regularly but I visit every day anyway to give him his meds. It's a lovely quiet set up with no more than 3 horses per massive field. YO really looks after the land too so even this winter the only muddy bits were round the haylage bales. So happy I moved the old git there.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
This has been really eye opening thank you. It wouldn’t really cost me anything more to keep the poor fella here (he’s only 12 and retired due to injuries) i don’t mind changing rugs and id provide the field hay in the winter as I do for my own anyway and I do have a spare stable which could be used for emergencies but she’s happy to keep him out as he is atm. She’d still be responsible to pay for care, feet trimmed, feed. I would worm them altogether though as I like too. It’s hard to know what to charge a friend really. I was thinking of £50 a month but now I’m thinking that’s rather cheap even for a pal lol xx