How much have horses cost you?!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I mean ACTUAL horses (not the stuff that comes attached to them like bills etc.!). If you added up the price you paid for all the horses you've ever owned - How much?!

Totally random but Im bored! I work out Ive forked out a total of about £15,300 on 11 horses (including my current ones), sounds scary when its like that!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
I've worked out £14200 on my current two plus 5 others previously. I've not counted ponies though as I can't remember what we paid for them!
smile.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
Around £6,800 for 7 horses.

Dollar, Taragon (now sold) and Flo were all FREE, Bramble, Teazle and Lottie were total bargains and I've spent about £1,100 on getting Rainbow on the ground.

ecrozier

Visit site
Ummm, well my first one was £2750 11 years ago but I only paid half that as she was supposed to be shared with my mum (ooops!) and my one now was £2500 including all his tack, rugs, everything, so I guess personally £2500 + £1375 is £3875 for the two.....god thats not bad actually, I'd struggle to replace one of them for that looking at prices now!

GinaGem

Visit site
I've only bought one of my own who was £6250. All my other horses/ponies have been passed down the family or been on loan. xxx

Alibear

Visit site
Just goes to prove I really am crap at buying horses
grin.gif

Anway where are all the people on her who regularaly post 5-6K as a value in the "how much threads". Surley they have spent lots on their horses?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Doesnt sound like Ive done too badly after looking at others!

I do think 3 of mine were a bargain - £1500 total for 3 nice PC type 14.2hh's all ready to back! Sold them on for £2500 EACH a couple of months later after Id backed and competed them a bit! £6k profit from just having some fun in the summer was quite good I thought.

ecrozier

Visit site
Not necessarily... My horse was £2500 including all his tack, everything down to the last hoof pick as his owner was giving up completely!
However to replace him now I honestly think I would have to spend at least £4000 if not more....maybe I'm wrong, but he has become a really good allrounder, jumping confidently XC up to 3', SJ competing successfully at 3'3, done BSJA, will be doing BE and BD on tickets in the next year, pretty capable at novice level dressage and scope/paces to go further, well put together, a complete gentleman to do but a great fun hack and will turn a hoof to whatever (endurance, le trec, showing), snaffle mouth at all times, no ongoing medical problems or hang-ups, a good do-er to say the least....
So just because I would value him and anything like him at £4k + now, doesn't mean I paid that for him...unless we can add up the blood sweat and tears it has taken to get him like he is today!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
£11.5k on two horses and a pony this time round.

Back in the eighties we spent about £7.5k on 3 horses though, and god knows what on about 6 ponies that I can't remember the prices of. Never sold anything for less than we paid for it either but did retire one horse (well gave it back to the lady who broke it to retire)
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The 10 I have actually bought have cost £6140 - can't believe it's that much! (I'm a tightarse!)

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth do you buy horses for 600quid each? I must look in the wrong places! lol

MrsMagoo

Visit site
If i count how much they were brought for it would be: £6,300 for 4 (others i have just loaned or ridden for people)

If i count how much sold total: £13,650 for 3 (thats if i actually sold Star). My old girl who i brought for £300 i still own but she on loan to somone as companion
smile.gif

Eccles

Visit site
£6,500 for current one, £3750 for one before that and £5000 for Rupert, so £15,250!! There is no chance I dare add up the ones before these. It could make me quite ill !
grin.gif

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I am 31 and have had horses all my life, started with Blossom (shetland 1976 £200) kept until death, Champ (welsh thing 1983 £250) kept unitl death, Silver (jumping pony 1986 £200) kept until death, Peter (ISH 1993, £1500) died of GS, Touchy (IDx 1999 £1000) still going and quite happy at home, Polo (Sec C 2002 £850) sold for £1000 in 2004, Desi (connemara 2004 £1600) sold in Nov 2005 for £5k and then Sov (2005 £0) still doing whatever takes our fancy
So in 31 years I have spent £5550 on my steeds, not quite a scary as some folks I bet!
grin.gif