how much haylage?

jewel

Visit site
ok i have a 6months old foal that is stable by night, so has haylage at night. which i'm un sure if she is eating enough. i'm feeding it ad lib but was wondering how to work out how much she should be having?

jewel

Visit site
i know that but i do like to worry. so to put my mind as rest, i was wondering how to work out how much she should need?

loz9

Visit site
not sure if this will be of any use as its not a 'feed them this much answer' but a comparison for you,
iv got 3 foals, 2 to make 16hh who are eating 3-4sections each of small baled hay per night, & one to make 13hh who eats 1-2/night. they get fed adlib & the two larger foals are of a good weight, the smaller foal is underweight as we rescued her from a stud a couple of wks ago as she wasnt the right colour to be of any value to the breeder!
shocked.gif

not sure if iv been any help!
smile.gif

eggs

Visit site
With my foals I never tried to "work out how much they needed" but just put a load on the floor so that there was a tiny bit left. I did make sure that they had a good stud cube so give them the vits and mins they needed.

jewel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
not sure if this will be of any use as its not a 'feed them this much answer' but a comparison for you,
iv got 3 foals, 2 to make 16hh who are eating 3-4sections each of small baled hay per night, & one to make 13hh who eats 1-2/night. they get fed adlib & the two larger foals are of a good weight, the smaller foal is underweight as we rescued her from a stud a couple of wks ago as she wasnt the right colour to be of any value to the breeder!
shocked.gif

not sure if iv been any help!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you that has helped loads. what quanity of hard feed do they get?
i'm shocked about your foal, the stud should be totally ashamed of themselves.

loz9

Visit site
glad i could help!
grin.gif

at the mo half a scoop alfa-a oil & the recommended amount of D&H suregrow twice a day for the biggies (both of which had a good start in life,i bred dex myself & bought alice from a showing home) & the ickle one is on half alfa-a oil & creep pellets so she get the extra protein, shes out of a 14.3 tb by apparently a 15.2 appaloosa (which i highly doubt!) she was worm ridden, rain scald, mud fever, unhandled so a bit of a state when she arrive but just under 3wks later she is gettin on well!
you would think the stud would be ashamed but she wasnt! most of the foals were underweight, even the right coloured oned (she breeds spotties) shes well known as a bad breeder & iv reported her! the hardest part was wen we picked up the ickle one she offered us another colt for £50!
shocked.gif
it was the hardest thing saying no but we just didnt hav the space!