How much horse hoof can a JRT eat?

The hoof trimmings from

• Total voters

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
and not vomit?

Oz ate the hoof trimmings/frogs from 3 horses today and the Ergot and Chesnuts too. His stomach is currently keeping me awake by gurgling like a drainage pipe!............This could get messy!!

The greedy Monster -
004-2.jpg

Last edited:

Mogg

Visit site
i had to stop my PRT eating hoof cos i knew that within a day or 2 id be clearing up dog puke left right and centre. Pukefest usually occured in the middle of the night and 90% of time was found the next morning by my bare foot as i stumbled around half asleep :rolleyes:

sarelis

Visit site
My JRT Lulu loves it when the farrier visits! She will carefully gather up every single toenail the second they hit the ground, hoard them in a big pile then guard them (yeah, coz I really want to nick them!) as she sits & munches them :) Never had a toenail induced pukefest yet, she must have guts of iron lol

E2A Lovely looking dog btw, bet he's a handful! :D

rubysmum

Visit site
the "speeshul" bedlington takes a more far sighted apporach - he likes to collect up hoof bits & carefully hide them around the yard, to be grazed on at his leisure - occasionally, if i am very lucky, he also hides a couple in the car until i am driven mad by a strange smell & dig them out - yuck

Hedwards

Visit site
I voted dunno - as so far I havent been able to find out, Millie has worked her way around most of our yard on farrier days and is yet to vomit, or indeed explode, and she is teeeny tiny!

ETA - I do know that i only takes one large bit of hoof to make a lurcher vomit though...

misst

Visit site
My little one can eat two horses worth but vomits at 3:p My sons can eat as many as she likes. My issue is the vomit is liquidy and has black smelly bits in it - and I usually find it on my bed cover at bedtime:eek::mad:
I also suffer from being kept awake by her gurgling tummy and loud larger type burps. No matter how hard I keep an eye on her she can always dart in and collect trimmings and like the others secretes them round the yard and my car.

elizabeth1

Visit site
Please be careful with hoof trimmings -a friend's Cairn terrier lost her life after a freak accident when the hoof trimming pierced her oesophagus. I know this was a freak andmy dogs always cleared up after the farrier but I no longer let them do so.

whisp&willow

Visit site
Please be careful with hoof trimmings -a friend's Cairn terrier lost her life after a freak accident when the hoof trimming pierced her oesophagus. I know this was a freak andmy dogs always cleared up after the farrier but I no longer let them do so.

wouldn't surprise me. :( i don't let betty eat the trimmings after i had to remove one from her behind. :(

luckily it did no internal damage, but it was not a nice exit. to put it into perspective: the only other time i've heard her yelp was when she cracked her sacroiliac joint by wrapping herself round a goalpost...

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Well x3 seems OK for Oz, he had bit of a gurgly tummy at 1am, but no vomit :) He does chew it all well, unlike some who just swallow!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well....... dunno how quite to put this as a mathematical equation, BUT will try:-

2 dogs (one terrier, the other gawd-only-knows/Heinz 57 variety) X 2 lots of hoof-parings = mega puke + monumental turd(s) on mat by 8.00 tomorrow morning; plus associated bad odours and volcanic rumblings until the regurgitation proper happens, whichever end.

Speed & velocity of consumption also seems to make a difference, i.e. the quicker the said morsel is gobbled down (coz mum will get the lunging whip out PDQ if us dogs don't get on with it!! :) ) then the more rumblings & bad whiffs 2 X doggie tummies make.

This doesn't take into account however, the "normal" run of delights such as fresh poo on muck heap, chickens droppings, licking cat's bums/every other dogs bums, etc etc. You get the picture.

mattilda

Visit site
I have no idea but I would suggest you stop him when he gets to the coronet band!! :D

Rottweilers cannot eat much more than one horse before they return it with interest at 3am on the bedroom carpet.