How much is a nice temperament cob going to cost?

lizandreggie

Visit site
I’m going to be looking for a lovely temperament, well schooled cob shortly for myself and my daughter (13y) to ride. Needs to be safe, as broke my back years ago, so can’t be thrown off every 5 minutes and not very strong. Ideally LW Cob, or small ID. What would you expect to pay, as prices seem to been from the cheap to the downright ridiculous?!? Temperament is key for me, but I’ve ridden up to medium dressage, and would like the option to compete in future, so something with a nice hind leg would be great. Tell me your stories.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Oh my goodness how long is a bit of string? But really and truly I did think you might find something at a reasonable price until you added in that you are looking for the Holy Grail who will also happily compete with you up to medium dressage in the future, to be sure of that it has to already be showing some talent surely? - expect to pay a hefty price tag if you do find this paragon :)

lizandreggie

Visit site
don't need it to compete to medium but some talent on the flat would be great. Most cons move nicely, but a lot are not straight in front! Temperament and confirmation is key for me

maya2008

Visit site
I have what will turn into your ideal horse. If it helps you know what you should be looking to pay, it will cost us about £6k to get him to 6yo, excluding my time riding him, lessons and competition fees. More to get him to the magic 8yo that everyone wants to buy! We are making our own ‘cos no way could we afford to buy ready made!

lizandreggie

Visit site
I brought a foal 5 years ago and have had just has to sell him as he got to 18hh, which is why I’ve got to start again. I’m well aware what it costs to get them to an age everyone wants to buy!

L&M

Visit site
I wouldn't let my cob go for less than £5,000 (not that he would ever be for sale!)

An angel on 4 legs in terms of temperament - more of a hunting/jumping type than dressage, but regular wins in the show ring and safe as houses in all environments, without being 'dull'.

So I would imagine you would need a similar budget for a 'been there done it' type, maybe slightly less if bought as a youngster...….

rara007

Visit site
5k+ Id say. Temperament is so key in these types age and mileage don’t impact the price as much as sportier types. Not easy to find a smart and sane one so they command high prices. If a 14.2 traditional (nothing against them- have one!) or 16hh ISH tick the box then you might get something a bit cheaper but for an RID/proper cob they’re always going to have value if they’re sane and sound.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
To find one with the right temperament , backed and brought on well so the horse is safe and 'quirk free' - not an easy task . You may have to compromise to get the 100% sane and safe one ; it might not be a sporty model . There are some top show cobs tht would be right , but the price rises accordingly.
The little cob in my avatar[ is that the right word for the pic to the left!?] is a 15hh Welsh x gypsy , bought cheaply as a foal from a mountain side. Her temperament is just perfect . She is equally happy to hack quietly with me or to take OH for a jolly out hunting. But she isnt a show horse, she has sweet itch , a splint and short legs. But no money would buy her . If I had to replace her, even with her faults , I d not find anything half as good for under £5 k., I imagine.

Shay

Visit site
These types just don't come on the market so price estimates are pretty much useless. You are looking for the unachievable. A mid / light weight mother daughter share with manners and schooling.

If it is cheap - it will have issues. If it isn't - why is it on the market at all? You might have some joy hooking up with the local pony club and hoping to pick up on a share or Uni sale of something suitable. But these things have waiting lists! You normally have to establish you credientials a fair bit in advance.

You may need to adjust your aims in terms of age, ability etc. Buying them young and producing them is ideal (we're doing that right now with a few...) But if you want ready made you would probably be better going older and compromising on dressage for a while.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'd be expecting to pay £10k+

It's quite a shopping list you have there OP. Nothing wrong with knowing what you want for sure, however the majority of owners of such a horse will keep tight hold. You're probably going to be looking at producers and therefore houses with potential rather than completely proven.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Have you perhaps considered a rescue?

Not all are neglect cases. Some have simply been handed over by owners no longer able to keep them.
Certainly worth a look.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP you don't say what hh you're looking for, but I'm presuming you're after round about the 14-15.2hh mark?

And aged round about 7 - 10ish, say??

If so....... then sorry but I think you may need to have a rather deep purse! As this is what everyone wants!

Would you accept a heavier-type cob such as a traddie - with all the hairy legs!!! As if so, you might have to look hard, but you would probably more likely find what you're looking for as far as temperament is concerned, but then you might feel that this type is a little too heavy for what you want it for?? Having said that, you could always clip the dreaded feathers off...... these traditional/gypsy type cobs are very versatile and you may find one ticks your boxes? They may come cheaper than the more fine type of cobs and the only thing I would say is to get one with nice ground manners as unfortunately because of their sheer bulk they do learn very quickly how to intimidate people! But my little traddie girly is very intelligent and learns quickly, and is a very versatile little horse. Lives on air too!

But then again you may find that something like a Welsh D would suit you very well; certainly if you went for the Nebo/Derwen lines you might well find a very nice more finer type.

Or perhaps a crossbred with say a TB/New Forest cross which would tick your boxes and might be another choice to think about?

When I was looking for a horse a few years back, I was looking for the same as you OP. I travelled a good few miles, was told a good few stories, and came back a good few times after having my time totally wasted!

The price for the sort of horse I was looking for - this was a few years ago now - was around £2500 to £3000. I was looking primarily for something safe to hack out on with the occasional pleasure ride/quiet day's hunting, and anything else a bonus. For that I saw a fair bit of stuff that frankly wasn't worth half the price, and the only decent one that I really fancied and thought to bring home was a nice little Welsh D mare who unfortunately failed the vet.

But for anything really seriously even half decent, that had good established paces, nice manners, had mebbe hunted lightly and/or been placed a few times out, there wasn't much around certainly under the £3500 mark, and if you did find anything under that there would be bound to be some "issue" with it.

In the end, I somehow ended up getting "chosen" by a little traddie pony-cob going for less than £1000 just-backed as a 4yo, who I brought home in spite of all my misgivings; she was everything I'd said I didn't want! Bless her! But I couldn't walk away (daft innit). I rode her on and now she's a very nice little happy hacker whose now 6 and bombproof in all traffic and safe as houses everywhere else, and if I was selling her (which I'm not) I'd be asking silly-price as I know the "happy hacker brigade" would pay it - I would have, for something "safe".

Or perhaps you could consider taking on a youngster? If you've the experience....... I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Hope you find something suitable OP! Its a nightmare. These sorts of types are hard to come by, and will fetch silly-price, can guarantee it. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
They're bloody pricey down here in Cornwall as well!

Friend brought a similar sounding 6 year old last year, local, and paid £6.5K for it - hacking, doing a nice prelim, very quiet and friendly 15.2 gelding, probably 8K now it's been jumping and showing a fair bit.

He was a rider went to uni horse.