How much is everyone paying for hay this year?

Beth206

Visit site
£4.50 small bale in Yorkshire although we get a big load in the summer (300 bales) I know people who can't store bales on mass and are now paying £6.50

TGM

Visit site
£4.60 a bale, delivered and stacked in the barn for that price. We don't have much storage so they are delivered 30 bales at a time.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Paid £3 a small bale delivered and stacked in barn when straight off the field in the summer.

Farmer has another 30 on retention for me till end Feb, will be £4 delivered if I want them. He is already selling st £5 a bale to others, local feed store is £6.25 if you collect.

Beth206

Visit site
I'm feeling pretty lucky then!! £6.50 seems crazy!! I only order 30 at one time!

I agree, I couldn't believe it either. I don't know if its because we're not very rural so they are buying from feed shops, which there are only a couple of within our area and 1 of which I know aren't selling any at the moment as they don't know if they will have enough for themselves.

SEL

Visit site
I think SE is going to be expensive this year. I flew back into Birmingham from hols at the beginning of Oct and it looked green and lush compared to home. Got browner and more dried out fields as we drove down the m40. All those people who loved the heatwave don't have stock to feed in winter

Fanatical

Visit site
In the summer I had to pay 7.50 per bale for small bales. I made my own large bales this year which I am using now but have started looking for more as will run out in the new year - currently being quoted £55 for large bale. However thankfully I have just managed to buy some small bales for £5 per bale. Prices could get stupid towards the end of winter.

eggs

Visit site
I had reserved 60 large round bales of lovely hay which were £25 delivered one or two at a time. Unfortunately my supplier has recently told me that they will now not be selling their hay (I've only had 10 bales so far) as they need to keep it for their own sheep as the sugar beet harvest was so poor and so they haven't been able to buy enough in. My other hay supplier has just recently put their large rectangular bales of not such nice hay up from £40 to £45 delivered. I will just have to suck it up this year but hope that next year I will be able to get my full quota of round bales.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
£40 per big bale delivered in ones and twos. We are regular customers and farmer tells me he expects to have enough for his regulars this year. Neighbour sold me a couple of small bales for £5 each a few weeks ago and I have heard of one local supplier of big bales who is charging £60.

Hexx

Visit site
£30 for a big Heston. Straw went up from £15 to £20 this year though. It gets delivered as and when needed, as long as there's at least 5-6 large bales in the order, so we try and co-ordinate as a yard.

Our supplier ran out of hay earlier this year before harvest and I had to go hunting for some - I think I paid £4.50 for some small bales that had been hiding in the back of a barn. I have heard that this is going to be a possibility again, so will be stocking up in March/April.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
You all need to marry into a farming family ;) Was paying £15 per big round bale of decent hay in South west.
Having recently moved yards its now included in the price.

Casey76

Visit site
520kg round bales are 105euros, and 580kg rectangular bales are 135euros (found on local “free ads” site)

Our hay is made “on site”, but we’ve only hand 1mcut this year, so I imagine hay is going to be extortionate by the end of winter.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Large bales of best quality, around 6' long, are £35 delivered. With my 3 horses I'm lucky if they last a week. I have 6 delivered each time. I don't get small bales unless I have to as they work out too expensice