How much is everyone paying for hay this year?

jnb

Visit site
Mine has gone up to £4.50 a bale from £4 this year however it's the most amazing soft superb quality meadow hay I've ever had in 40 years of horse ownership so I'll take it. Big bales too.
Their rounds (equivalent to 10 bales) are £44 so no real saving in having large bales plus I can't handle them and harder to stack & keep dry so I'll stick to small bales.
I've had 50 in already, almost used the 20 old bales I had left from last year so will buy another 30 /40 when I can fit them in the barn - before end of December if I can as supply ran dry in Feb last year and I think it will be January this winter.

Fransurrey

Visit site
5.50 bought from YO. It was so awful last year I switched to haylage. Others are sneaking in hay from local stores, which is 5.00. I might try this year's though, as I'm not feeding haylage yet and it waa baled dry for once!!

Mosh

Visit site
£25 for massive rectangular bales which are grown on the yards land and generally lovely hay. Currently using last year's though but the price will stay the same.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Around here, West Mids/Staffs border, the going rate seems to be £4 for a small rectangle bale.
We got a large rectangle bale in for £50, and a large round oat straw for £25.
Got quoted £55 for a large round hay.

mandyroberts

Visit site
£5 small bale delivered - lovely hay. Live Beds/Herts border, we will be short of hay round here because of dry summer and only 1 cut so I'm very happy with the price

Northern

Visit site
If it makes you all feel better, hay was getting up to around £11 for small bale here - will go up by the end of our summer :/

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
£4.50 for small bale off the estate. £22.50 for Eurobale from my usual supplier (approx 5 small bales) just gone up this Autumn from £20.

Iwantakitten

Visit site
£3 a bale for small bales, have 15 delivered at a time or £25 for a massive square bale. Not sure of the size but they are 6 string and we have to separate them into slices to get into the barn. This is in South Devon.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
So far this year the big haybales we buy have risen from £35 to £45 to £50 for good quality hay. im not impressed. i dont have storage, so have no choice. My suppliers also buy every month, so they have no control either.

While supplies may be more scarce, i dont think there will be a shortfall as people have their horses out grazing on lovely dry fields whereas usually a lot more are in due to wet weather.

Reacher

Visit site
If it makes you all feel better, hay was getting up to around £11 for small bale here - will go up by the end of our summer :/

Blimey!
Oh, I’ve just seen your location, guess your farmers have been badly affected by the drought ?

£5.50 per small bale collected in Cumbria. Interesting that’s more expensive than London! Always very good quality - better than paying less for rubbish

Antw23uk

Visit site
Small bale has just gone up to £5 a bale and i buy a dozen at a time, delivered for a fiver but i can and do get hold of 4x4ft? bales at £20. Im still not sure when they will be moved to work for winter grazing and a holiday hence the dozen at a time! Once they come to work I wont feed anything for a while until the standing foggage is gone and then they go on haylage and then quickly after that i hope its bloody spring, lol :)

Northern

Visit site
Blimey!
Oh, I’ve just seen your location, guess your farmers have been badly affected by the drought ?

£5.50 per small bale collected in Cumbria. Interesting that’s more expensive than London! Always very good quality - better than paying less for rubbish

Yes :( There's been no rain in the hay growing areas, the places that have had enough rain to grow a crop will only get one cut this year. The East coast is having to haul hay from the far south and west, 1000s kms away which makes already expensive hay even worse with the transport. What makes it worse is that the country exports hay, which means tonnes of hay sitting in ports can't be touched while our farmers go under.