How much is everyone paying for hay this year?

Sandstone1

Visit site
What are people paying at moment? My supplier has just hiked it up by 10 a bale. Bearing in mind how mild the winter has been so far think thats a bit greedy?
This is big round bales. Midlands.

be positive

Visit site
The same as last year, big bales of hay £25, haylage £26 but small bales of straw have gone up to £3.50 but they are really clean and seem bigger than normal.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Worcestershire, £30 5' rounds hay and haylage delivered but I do have a trailer load each time. 5' straw £20 and top quality long stemmed. There will be no shortage if winter remains as it is.

The winter has been so kind so far that I am not feeding hay in the field yet. The haylage is on the dry side which is frustrating as I have a pair with wind management issues.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Big round bales were 30 before Christmas. Just shot up to 40.
Quality is variable too. Sometimes good others dusty.
Anyone know of a good supplier south warks?

Chappie

Visit site
£7.99 for small bale hay.
Was under £5 last year from same supplier.
Very good quality, I'm feeding my guinea pigs it too (and they are extremely discerning!):D
Has not been always been easy to get supplies, from them or my other contacts.
I feed it as 'extra' in the evenings - livery ration is gone by late afternoon. So a bale does me about 8-10 days.
Can only get about 8 - 10 bales per delivery as have to pop them in my wheelbarrow in batches & push them up a hill to my garden shed to store! Ain't easy!
Keep some chaffs and hay blocks too in case I ever have problems getting hold of supplies.

Denbob

Visit site
£4 a small bale of hay, feeding nearly 1 a night currently.
Was £25 a big bale last I checked but apparently now up to £35 so am glad I'm not feeding in the field at the moment.

Snoozy

Visit site
€1.50 per small bale (and that included delivery) and it’s the nicest hay I’ve ever had. I’m in Normandy.

Reactions: DD

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I've recently moved and had to source a new hay supplier, he charges 3.75 per small bale delivered, I can only store about 20 bales so I'm not getting loads each one. I was paying more at my previous yard where the hay quality was variable and he was delivering to about 20 people!

gryff

Visit site
Someone is advertising on the local FB page, lovely small bales ,£10 a bale. Whether they'll sell it at that, I don't know.

JillA

Visit site
£4 for small bales, beautiful stuff and really heavy, there wouldn't be too many to a tonne.

As a matter of interest, how many do you allow per horse (big 16hh+) living out, for the winter? I used to allow 50 but this year I upped it for fear of running out in late winter. One good doer one poor doer so average out as the average horse lol, both retired

cindars

Visit site
Paid £2.50 off field this weekend got another 60 bales for £3.same lady same cut this is Sussex and she is a friend.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
im really spoilt, my yard is at a gorgeous farm, and we get our hay at £2.50 a bale, and that's put on our own pallet as we need it. Or we can have unlimited haylage at £1.00 a day. and its lovely haylage.

emilylou

Visit site
£20 for large square bales, but we stocked up in september as we had the room. The same supplier is now selling them for £70 :0

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Flipping heck you lot are so lucky. I'm paying £40 for a large round bale of meadow hay in Warwickshire area. It is nice hay but not coated in gold. Annoyingly the last one was wrapped wrong, had most of the hay then the white mesh around it, then more layers, then more mesh, then another one layer of hay and another layer and a half of white mesh. Try sorting that lot out in a dark barn when the hay is laid on its side! Bl~*dy nightmare!

Its when you pack your nets and you hear the distinctive 'twang' of a piece of fine mesh in your hay net that you know you are in trouble and have to sieve through it.

Last edited: