How much is hay costing you per month?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't know about hay but even buying haylage in bulk costs me around £75 per horse per month in the winter.I only buy top class horsehage though.

ETA It will probably go up this year again too.

jaijai

Visit site
At the moment very little. Out on nights so just has 1 section for during the day (soaked for 24 hrs). Winter however we have restricted turnout so 1/2 to 3/4 of a bale per day. Current cost per bale is £5.00 but not sure whether this will go up when suppliers start delivering again in September after they have finished harvest.

HorseMad20

Visit site
pay £8 a bale, have about 10-13 bales a month in winter so thats at least £80 a month

moving soon though and will only cost me £45 a month for haylage

Firewell

Visit site
Nothing at the moment as he's living out 24/7 on grass.

In the winter it was between £60 and £80 per month for haylage ad lib.

My livery is £100 a month all year round :)

ebonyallen

Visit site
We are able to buy in bulk and store in one of the barns, so last year bought 80 of hay at 2.75 each in the winter I get through aprox 3 a week, and in the summer its a very small amount as they are out for the summer. Have not got any price for this year yet, so will have to wait and see.

Firewell

Visit site
Lol WP it is cheap, we are having to put up with a shocking school surface though, it's got to be a good 15 years old and really needs replacing. The fencing is also awful, ancient post and rail which is falling to bits, half my field fence is held up with bailing twine!
Saying that the owners have said that they will get the school totally redone and all the fencing replaced but as they are non-horsie lord knows when this will happen!
Hopefully soon as the school is really putting me off :).

celia

Visit site
Nothing atm as they live out. Over winter we usually go through around 10 small bales each week - although when we had all the snow last winter we were probably using 15. Thankfully we grow our own otherwise it would have been between £40 and £60 per week! When we had them on grass livery we had a big round bale approx once a week (more frequently when the weather was bad) in winter which was £30 inc delivery. Large bales definitely work out cheaper that the small if you're having to buy it in - although I think prices have gone up in the last couple of years. :)