How much is he worth?

biggingerpony

Visit site
I'm having to make the heartbreaking decision to sell my lovely H horse. My life is currently going in another direction and I don't have the time to commit to him. I've never sold a horse before. But I'm really struggling on a value for him.. it seems like a real minefield how much do you think he's worth?

For me home is more important than price.

His details are below:

8 years old TB gelding
Ex racehorse (flat) and professionally reschooled
15.3hh
Hacks alone/in company. Rock solid in traffic and has seen everything and is unphased by tractors, motorbikes etc. Generally a chilled out dude!
Not fizzy in open spaces or at all strong.
Loads really well in a trailer/lorry
Good with the dentist
Happy to live in or out alone or in company
No vices.
Has been on sponsored rides, hunt hacks and local shows
Has done some jumping but the focus has been on flat work and he really enjoys it!
Is generally a nice horse to be around

Cons
Nervous to clip
can be girthy (scoped clear for ulcers)

South east based.

SusieT

Visit site
1500 max without competition record I'd say unless he's really safe for a novice in which case 2.5k-3k if he is pretty/sound/moves nicely and is suitable for nervous novice

be positive

Visit site
As a safe hack, if he is really good on pleasure rides and what I would call a well educated happy hack that could do a bit more if desired he must be worth over £2k if he will pass a vet, it is extremely hard to find a genuinely safe hack, not everyone wants to compete seriously and he is still young enough to get more of a record.
I would put him up for at least £2.5k, if the only negative is the fact he raced and cannot be clipped easily he must be a better prospect for a RC/ hacking home than many that are advertised that will not hack alone/ are bad in traffic/ hot up in company etc. there are many people that want to hack for pleasure and just do the odd competition that would probably love him and they will not all be nervous novices.

TheMule

Visit site
The problem is that being girthy rules him out of his main market. He needs to go out and do some dressage tests (pay a pro if needed) to fit a market

oldie48

Visit site
If I was selling him, I'd put him up for £3K, not declare his breeding or the fact he'd raced in the advert and focus on how safe he is to hack etc. He's only 8 and if he's as nice as you say then he's the sort a lot of people want, also he's a nice size, not too big. Some people are very prejudiced with regard to TBs but a nice horse is a nice horse regardless of breeding. I'd then talk to prospective buyers about his breeding once I had talked them through his strong points. Good luck with finding him a nice home, it's always difficult to part with a horse you've grown to love.

stormox

Visit site
As a safe hack, if he is really good on pleasure rides and what I would call a well educated happy hack that could do a bit more if desired he must be worth over £2k if he will pass a vet, it is extremely hard to find a genuinely safe hack, not everyone wants to compete seriously and he is still young enough to get more of a record.
I would put him up for at least £2.5k, if the only negative is the fact he raced and cannot be clipped easily he must be a better prospect for a RC/ hacking home than many that are advertised that will not hack alone/ are bad in traffic/ hot up in company etc. there are many people that want to hack for pleasure and just do the odd competition that would probably love him and they will not all be nervous novices.

People who just want to hack dont usually have the knowledge to cope with keeping TBs, they are fairly high maintenance compared to a cob. I think having raced is positive as he would be eligible for more RoR and RtoRH classes. I would guess 1k -1500k

oldie48

Visit site
I know someone who buys OTTRs, reschools them, keeps the best and takes them eventing and sells the rest as RC horses or hacks. They all live out, aren't rugged unless it's for convenience and are fed a forage only diet. I know some TBs are high maintenance but not all of them are.QUOTE=stormox;13510405]People who just want to hack don't usually have the knowledge to cope with keeping TBs, they are fairly high maintenance compared to a cob. I think having raced is positive as he would be eligible for more RoR and RtoRH classes. I would guess 1k -1500k[/QUOTE]

SpringArising

Visit site
If I was selling him, I'd put him up for £3K, not declare his breeding or the fact he'd raced in the advert and focus on how safe he is to hack etc. He's only 8 and if he's as nice as you say then he's the sort a lot of people want, also he's a nice size, not too big. Some people are very prejudiced with regard to TBs but a nice horse is a nice horse regardless of breeding

Exactly this. He sounds like a really easy, nice horse on the ground and ridden. I'd put him up for 3k. Personally I'd be suspicious if you put him up with that desc. but had him as cheap as 1.5k.

cobalobM

Visit site
People who just want to hack dont usually have the knowledge to cope with keeping TBs, they are fairly high maintenance compared to a cob. I think having raced is positive as he would be eligible for more RoR and RtoRH classes. I would guess 1k -1500k

some people who 'just want to hack' are experienced, knowledgeable riders... not everyone wants to compete! not everyone who just hacks owns a dead to the leg, backwards cob.

stormox

Visit site
The problem is that being girthy rules him out of his main market. He needs to go out and do some dressage tests (pay a pro if needed) to fit a market

What exactly is 'girthy'? Doyou mean ticklish, and nips when you try to do girth? Lots of thin skinned horses are like this,in fact I would almost expect a TB to be sensitive in that area when being groomed,or girthed up. I wouldnt call it a problem.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Advertise him for 2.5k and don't mention his breed, see what happens. To be honest you could currently pay anywhere between £700 to 3k on that description. Sad but true with TB's

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Most amateur riders want a safe hack first and foremost schooling can always be done to improve the horse especially for Riding Club level stuff. Much harder to make a safe hack or deal with one that's nappy.

As someone else said maybe not mention he's TB it can be a put off for no other reason than preconceived ideas about TBs. I think he sounds nice and in south-east £2,500 is probably right. Lower than this would make me think you just want rid because of hidden issues.

Goldenstar

Visit site
some people who 'just want to hack' are experienced, knowledgeable riders... not everyone wants to compete! not everyone who just hacks owns a dead to the leg, backwards cob.

Very very true .
If just hacking meant owning a cob I would give up completely.

Nudibranch

Visit site
^ This again. I haven't competed for years due to lack of time. I've owned and ridden (and driven) for 30+ years though and had 3 OTTBs in that time. Competing does not necessarily equal better!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Very very true .
If just hacking meant owning a cob I would give up completely.

i agree!!!! i am a mature rider but do not want a plod. i have a 16hh half tb who is a fun, forward going, safe hack and if she was younger she would easily be worth at least £3,000 because of her safety and easy ride... some of us happy hackers are pretty knowledgeable where horse keeping is concerned...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
How did this thread get side tracked into cob bashing :mad:? There are plenty of well schooled forward thinking cobs about that are great to ride and a pleasure to own. They are not all stiff brain dead plods.

Agree that plenty of competent riders are happy to just hack, there's nowt wrong with that.

SpringArising

Visit site
How did this thread get side tracked into cob bashing :mad:? There are plenty of well schooled forward thinking cobs about that are great to ride and a pleasure to own. They are not all stiff brain dead plods.

I wondered that too! The horse in my avatar is a Cob. Would like to see anyone describe him as boring :D

catkin

Visit site
How did this thread get side tracked into cob bashing :mad:? There are plenty of well schooled forward thinking cobs about that are great to ride and a pleasure to own. They are not all stiff brain dead plods. Agree that plenty of competent riders are happy to just hack, there's nowt wrong with that.

t'was more of a non-competing bash. A competition record is only one way of looking at a horse's value: the horse I had with the best competition record was actually the worst I've owned in terms of personality. The ones with lesser records were so nice (and well-schooled by the way) that we had much more fun going out and about on long hacks rather than faffing about competing.

OP if he's a nice character and safe in traffic then don't under-sell him. Think about the type of home he would do well in and market to that.

SO1

Visit site
If he will pass a vetting I would say £3,000. He has been on sponsored rides and to local shows and I presume been sensible to ride there as well as being a sensible hacking horse. He is also at a prime age. There are plenty of people out there who would love a sensible horse to hack out on, and go to local shows and sponsored rides. Don't mention he is an ex racer, some people might be put off and it is not really relevant unless they they want to do the retrained race horse classes. I am also presuming that if someone wanted to see him jump as part of the viewing that would be an option.

As a TB he is probably not going to grow a massively thick coat so the clipping might not be an issue. Does he bite when you girth him up or pull faces?

LD&S

Visit site
Heard the other day hacking is probably the most dangerous thing you do with your horse because of the unpredictability of road users.
A safe hack is priceless.