How much is he worth????

doodle

Visit site
Following conversations at the yard about the value of horses and how much people seem to expect in a cheep horse it got me wondering if I over paid for my horse. He is NOT for sale so this is not an ad!

So, 16.2hh warm blood (nothing special breeding wise but was bred to sj, simple pet is passport). 9 years old. Done one be90 successfully. Been to various dressage clinics but no competing in the year previous owner had him. First time out with me he won. He works in a nice correct outline in all 3 paces, but has big paces which I think a novice would struggle with. Well mannered, behaves beautifully at shows and one of the selling points for me was a picture of him in the ad stood snoozing tied to trailer. Hacks alone and in company but probably not for a total novice doing fast work hacking, keen but not naughty. Can have a few minor spooks. Done a fair bit of xc schooling and since has never had a xc fault schooling or competing. When I went to view him due to snow he was boxed up to an indoor he had never been to and behaved impeccably. He was 5 stage vetted and flew through with no issue.

I was more than happy with the price and this really is just a post as I am interested! Will say later how much I paid.

doodle

Visit site
He wouldn't pass vet right how as recovering from an op to remove abscess on elbow but once better no reason why he wouldn't. Since I have had him(one year) he has done unaffiliated dressage with me successfully, lots of boxing to lessons. He has done 2 more be 90 successfully. Some sj (85 and 95) and a hunter trial (90) with yo daughter who jumps him. Would easily go 100. He has also been ridden by total novice (she couldn't ride his trot but he looked after her and just came back to walk each time she lost balance) and a tiny 11yo girl although I am not sure I would have sent them off round a grass field!

ihatework

Visit site
A sound riding club horse that is generally straightforward to do and not in its teens would be at least 4K. Plenty pay in the 6/7K region if showing good enough for teams etc

doodle

Visit site
I def got a bargain then. I paid £3500. I didn't even question it and was happy to pay that for him.

Jennie951

Visit site
It doesn't really surprise me that you paid what you did. I don't know if it's just me, but I struggle now to find a horse around the 3 grand mark as I would have years previous.

zaminda

Visit site
It seems strange how it goes. Some people pay a lot for the same horse that others got cheaply. Talking to someone who was looking to buy recently and she wouldn't look at anything under 6k as it must have something wrong with it! I would be happy getting your horse for what you paid. .

Bernster

Visit site
Central SE I'd say that's a good price for a decent sounding horse. I reckon you got v good value for money! I paid more for my boy than I wanted but have never regretted it. Anyway, once you've bought em the money spent really isn't relevant.