How much is livery in England nowadays in the south ?

niagaraduval

Visit site
Hi,

It's come to the point in my life where I am going to have to make some decisions and ofcourse my lovely horse will go wherever I go.

How much is livery in England nowadays ? I think it has probably changed alot over the years.

I would be interested in 24/7 turnout or possibly half livery (is that what it's called?) I wouldn't be able to go morning and night to feed and turnout and muck out but I would be able to go in the evening and ride/look after several days a week (hence 24/7 turnout working better as he has heaves too).

galaxy

Visit site
Part livery (everything except groom and ride) is £100/110 a week in Hampshire.

Grass livery is difficult to find, especially if you want any facilities! All I've ever come across is full DIY where you are expected to check them twice a day which wouldn't work for you....?

niagaraduval

Visit site
Checking them twice a day is not possible as I would be commuting accross the channel everyday to get to work. I could do in the evening though several times a week, which makes me think full livery and a sharer might be the only option as I wouldn't be able to get there every morning/day.

How much is full livery?

Grass livery would be perfect.

galaxy

Visit site
Full livery which includes riding/exercise at a yard with some facilities is £150+

I never came across any grass livery which included care.

EmmyMD

Visit site
Simon Earle is a racehorse trainer and I'm almost certain he does "full" grass livery not loads but daily checks, feed, organise farrier/worming, and will change rugs when needed. about £80 a week if I remember rightly?!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Part livery sounds like the best option then, is it everything but ride and groom ? So TO, feeding etc. is taken care of ?

In france a lot of French people keep their horses at other horse owners houses on livery which is usually very cheap (but no facilities) but that means the horse is looked after by the owner of the stable so the price would include everything apart from grooming and riding. Is this a common practice in England ?

galaxy

Visit site
Part livery sounds like the best option then, is it everything but ride and groom ? So TO, feeding etc. is taken care of ?

In france a lot of French people keep their horses at other horse owners houses on livery which is usually very cheap (but no facilities) but that means the horse is looked after by the owner of the stable so the price would include everything apart from grooming and riding. Is this a common practice in England ?

What you describe is part livery. Everything is taken care of.

The private owner yard is found. Would still be called part livery. You can find cheaper yards. But they will be cheaper for a reason. Facilities or bad hacking is usually the compromise. It depends what you need for your horse,

The closer to London you are the more expensive it gets obviously.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My yard does pure DIY and 5 day livery or DIY plus any services required. I just write in the diary if I want anything done. It's £35 a week for the stable and 24/7 turnout in summer, all day turnout in winter, stabled at night. Hay/bedding are extra. I think livery is about £350 a month, that's everything except exercise. They're very flexible.

Some people do keep at home, but remember that there's only half the land surface compared to France. If you can get a sharer or a deal going with someone at a yard, you can have some costs covered in return for favours.

pippixox

Visit site
i used to have my mare on grass livery, which was £35 a week. yard had ok facilities included in price: school, kitchen area and an area in barn to store hay. you could pay £2.50 for them to feed your horses once a day and check them over, £5 if both meals, and i think a little more if a rug change was required. but i shared a field and the other lady and I would help each other out.
you would be better looking for a livery yard which is happy to do flexible extras, encase a share doesn't work out or you have delays from commute ect. but finding grass livery in the south is not that easy to be honest, at least not with very good grazing.
yes part livery is normally all care done for you, so you could basically leave them and they would be fine. except no exercise.

PollyP99

Visit site
160 / month DIY including hay and straw, school, floodlit, good hacking. Extras can be arranged, £5 per day bring in /out. Gloucestershire

Nicnac

Visit site
Did you say you are going to commute over the channel every day?! Where do you need to get to as that would decide where you live; where your horse can be and how much you're going to pay. Eurostar from Ashford....?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Grass livery with a stable, 14 acres and free access barns + brilliant hacking / facilities. £12.50 per week. Leicestershire.

DIY livery Cheshire with vg facilities, £25 per week with option of extra services as needed. Or-
Part livery (7 day) , all services/feed/bedding/forage £110 per week.
Full livery with daily exercise £145 per week