How much is this filly worth?

Bearskin

Visit site
http://www.britanniasjewel.com/

I think we could learn a lot from the Frederick's marketing methods. If only we all had a mare like Brit! (Of course magic would probably advise us not to breed from her, due to her less than perfect conformation. I wonder how she would grade with SHB?)

Nicnac

Visit site
Well, the fact that she comes with free insurance for a month up to a value of £30,000 should give you an idea of the estimated value :)

eventrider23

Visit site
Let's not forget though that Brit is not the easiest of mares and certainly wouldn't have been likely to have become the horse she is in just anyone's hands. Not saying the filly or any of her foals won't be amazing as they probably will be especially as they will have the best possible starts but remember back to fact that the reason Cinda kept the ride on her was because they were never able to sell her....something that proved propitious for her and her career but could mean that her progeny may well end up pros horses.

micramadam

Visit site
Sorry to say but she hasn't got the WOW factor for me and as for her paces I've seen a lot cheaper yearlings with much better paces.
They will get a decent price for her because of who they are and what her breeding is.

sallyf

Visit site
I dont think she could be any straighter through the hock and agree movement doesnt look anything special she walks quite stilted through her shoulders.
Still handsome is as handsome does so hopefully in 3 years times she will be able to show how good she is or not as the case may be

Bearskin

Visit site
Let's not forget though that Brit is not the easiest of mares and certainly wouldn't have been likely to have become the horse she is in just anyone's hands. Not saying the filly or any of her foals won't be amazing as they probably will be especially as they will have the best possible starts but remember back to fact that the reason Cinda kept the ride on her was because they were never able to sell her....something that proved propitious for her and her career but could mean that her progeny may well end up pros horses.

Being a small chestnut mare with odd feet probably did not help with her sale. Her temperament is what made her so good.

stolensilver

Visit site
I wish them every success with selling this filly to a serious competition home.

If I were judging her without knowing her parents I'd be underwhelmed. Its always a red flag to me when trot is shown in slow motion in a selling video. If you watch for overtrack she simply doesn't. And if I can borrow a quote from Tom Reed's excellent article "Keeping Trakehners on Track" he says "it makes no sense to use a dressage-bred stallion with little "blood" in his pedigree (such as Grafenstolz TSF), that happened to be successful in eventing". To put the quote in context he is talking about getting Trakehners and their offspring back to the top in jumping sports.

http://www.morningside-stud.com/gpage3.html

IMHO they should have used Schenkendorf. Much less advertised but the only approved son of the Olympic gold medallist showjumper Topki in Europe. But hey, what do I know? Lets hope she's galloping round Badminton in 7-10 years time and proving me totally wrong. :)

christine48

Visit site
Interestingly they had 'Little Brittania' going HC in the YEH at Houghton ( think she was HC because she was ridden in a hackemore). She didn't look exceptional especially considering how much her and her full brother were syndicated for previously.
Wish them luck, but there's no guarantee she'll be as good as her parents as we all know.

seabsicuit2

Visit site

Brit was produced by an amateur, 2 horse rider up to Advanced level with relative ease before Lucinda took the ride on. She didnt sell because she looked small and ordinary and they always wanted a huge amount of money for her, and no-one believed that she justified that kind of price tag!

I just think Jumbo throws all sorts of funny looking horses that is the Irish/unknown blood in him. And Grafenstolz was bred to be a dressage horse not an eventer/jumper- his pedigree is generations of dressage horses.

Not to take anything away from what either of these stallions have achieved!

Stolensilver- cant find much info online-has schkenhendorf(sp) got any decent damline has he achieved anything himself?

Personally I think I decent upstanding TB stallion would have been the best husband for Brit!

Alec Swan

Visit site
The foal, I rather like. I'll agree with those who think that she's a bit short in her stride, but then that wouldn't worry me too much, at her age, and considering that she was really just shuffling about. I'm not experienced enough to judge foals, so my opinions are probably of little real worth.

I undertand enough about marketing when I see promotion, and there would be underlying questions to ask, "Why sell the foal now? and 'We can't keep them all' isn't the right answer", or at least not the one to convince me that the vendors know something which we don't. The vendors have engaged professional agents, so the opening bid has probably been chucked in to start the proceedings. I wish them luck!

Promoting her blood lines was a little strange too. HB is by Jumbo, and that's it. There aren't really any blood lines, at least on the mare's side, that I can see. Grafenstoltz and his dressage breeding? If he can jump, which he can, and if he can gallop, which he can, then accepting what Seabiscuit says, just where are there the good jumping TBs? Rather Graf than a second rate flat bred TB. I know that others will now leap up and carry a torch for Saddlers Wells, and his progeny, but they are still flat bred horses, not NH and that's what I think would be needed.

Nicnac has mentioned a perceived insurance value of £30k. In my view, and if that's the reserve, then that's an awful lot of dosh for a foal, and it's too much to risk on a foal which may not live up to its promotion. This foal may well end up as the next King's Mistress, and be a foundation brood mare, and she may not.

Again, I do like her, but my consideration is that £7k would be more than enough but would be considered a derisory offer, so I shall sit back and watch, with interest.

Alec.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
http://www.britanniasjewel.com/

I think we could learn a lot from the Frederick's marketing methods. If only we all had a mare like Brit! (Of course magic would probably advise us not to breed from her, due to her less than perfect conformation. I wonder how she would grade with SHB?)

Now was that necessary, no comparison when she has breeding & a competition record! And yes if they think the offspring are upto their standards & based on her success as a sportshorse she would grade.

koeffee

Visit site
They cant think much of her if they are selling her?? they have a bid at £5000 thats about £3000 more than i would pay?!

the watcher

Visit site
My view is that marketing is what the Fredericks do well, however I don't think this youngster is any better than dozens of others - I wouldn't pay more than £3000 based on that breeding

BBH

Visit site
I haven't read other replys but I think her at this age rather ' stuffy'.

Her movement did nothing for me tbh and when they slowed it down on the film I felt it was to hide the movement.

Personally I wouldn't buy her at this age based on what I see there. If on the other hand she blossoms with age then fair do's although the price tag would be significantly higher.

I wish them well.

BBH

Visit site
They're in the business to breed and sell. It has nothing to do with what they think of her.

See I disagree here.

Everyone is trying to breed ' the one' and I think they have seen something they don't like because I think it unusual not to see how she progresses as a youngster.

Most competitor / breeders I have ever met want to at least see a 2 / 3 yrs old to see if it has a pop on it, movement and trainability. If after this age they don't like what they see they will sell on. Especially with her mother being home owned, you'd think they'd be keen to see if she was sentimentally going to have the parents attributes and its not like the foal will cost anything to keep , no livery etc etc which may sway other people's decisions.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
BBH, whilst you make a good point, and when I read about the auction on the Fredericks' FB page, I immediately thought "what's wrong with her?", I believe that Headley Britannia has had about 3 foals a year (by ET) for the past 4 years, so the "sentimental" issue doesn't apply.

Team Fredericks have also started selling Brit's embryos direct to the public, like you would stallion semen, so perhaps they just need to raise funds.

Re: Little Britannia going HC at Houghton, I believe she injured her mouth and had to be ridden in a hackamore - which I expect is a good sign re: her temperament...

ihatework

Visit site
There is no denying the fredericks are canny business people!!! The syndicate T&C's for the 2 x 4yo's were laughable and their valuation dubious.
The filly in question doesn't light my fire and looks pretty ordinary to me. However if she is half as gutsy as her mum then someone may end up with a cracker I suppose.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Well Brit herself looks ordinary and small so I guess we can't expect any of her progeny to look amazing/stunning . It would all be about the temperament and heart & work ethic.

Someone commented on brit's motherline being of no significance-this is actually untrue as Brit's full brother took a amateur rider up to 4 star level & looked after her all the way. He was stunning and probably more generous and more talented than Brit. Just didn't end up in the right hands.
Also the dam sire 'Alanrod' produced quite a few advanced eventers, he himself was by Gala Performance who was also the dam sire of Over To You.

Re; why theyre selling this particular filly- the Fredericks have always had to sell everything in order to keep their show on the road. For as long as I can remember they've constantly had to sell their best horses.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Promoting her blood lines was a little strange too. HB is by Jumbo, and that's it. There aren't really any blood lines, at least on the mare's side, that I can see. Grafenstoltz and his dressage breeding? If he can jump, which he can, and if he can gallop, which he can, then accepting what Seabiscuit says, just where are there the good jumping TBs? Rather Graf than a second rate flat bred TB. I know that others will now leap up and carry a torch for Saddlers Wells, and his progeny, but they are still flat bred horses, not NH and that's what I think would be needed.Alec.

Flying Legend. I sent a mare to him this year (her first foal is machine by Sir Harry Lewis, so wanted the Alleged), and I haven't seen such a proper stamp for a long time. Big and proper old fashoined, loads of bone and knees the like of which you don't see very often.
Personally do not rate SW, especially for soundness(wind and limb), but don't agree with generalising 'flat bred's'. There are not many examples of genuine jump bred stallions which have made a lasting mark on the breeding scene.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Why don't they put her on Ebay and get a wider audience!!!!

Seriously, on online auction, seems they are not worried about who she ends up with then! I am not into eventing, but I would have though if she was that special, a top rider/owner/sponsor would have already snapped her up by now. Her movement does nothing for me, so one would hope she can jump!

Amos

Visit site
Why don't they put her on Ebay and get a wider audience!!!!

Seriously, on online auction, seems they are not worried about who she ends up with then! I am not into eventing, but I would have though if she was that special, a top rider/owner/sponsor would have already snapped her up by now. Her movement does nothing for me, so one would hope she can jump!

Surely only certain people "in the know" visit their website to see whats for sale?

tristar

Visit site
maybe its time to buy some new glasses, but, she looked to me as if she moves her right front differently to her left front, in trot, moves the one further forward and higher.

the best horse i own i bought from a series of photos, as a yearling the potential was evident then somehow, a certain carriage, a special posture, and way of moving, it was there despite the 3 inches of hair and mud.

if i had to chose between brit's foal and maesfen's tobago foal there would be no contest, tobago's!

but as has been said maybe she has inherited something that will emerge in competition, but if it was on looks and movement and for myself i would'nt look twice.

certainly would not buy for breeding potential, have to really hit between the eyes for that!

the watcher

Visit site
Re; why theyre selling this particular filly- the Fredericks have always had to sell everything in order to keep their show on the road. For as long as I can remember they've constantly had to sell their best horses.

That may well be true of Lucinda, but Clayton has been very well sponsored and funded for a very long time..underneath all that bonhomie is a very sharp businessman