How much is this horse worth?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
16hh unregistered mare. 21 years old, ride and drive. (Although not been driven for years and not ridden since last year). Sane and sensible although not a plod. Mildly arthritic which may well be sorted by a supplement, but would probably fail a vetting.

What do you think she’s worth on the open market?
I personally would not use the term " meat money". I would say field ornament only, but would never try sell a horse that old it would not be fair in that condition.
To offer another opinion, I gave a home to a mare who was mid teens and a bit of a poor state, rain scalled bad feet, under weight and bit arthritic, we got her sound sorted feet etc. we paid £ 700. Something 21 I would say realistically about £ 300 tops as the owner is trying to get more money out of you as she knows you are fond of her.

Something similar happened to an old livery, horse not too many issues owner wanted £ 2000 this was going back about 10 years. We said give her £ 1000 cash, she wont refuse that if it is in front of her and she accepted it.

I would get your maximum out and say this is a one time offer for the mare. If she is genuine and wants to do the right thing she will accept it.

Last edited:

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I paid £300 for a pony I didn’t know who was 23 and wanting a quieter life. I was willing to offer him that. He was later diagnosed with COPD and Cushings. Was he worth it? Yes! Was I aware being an older pony it would more than likely cost me to keep him comfortable and keep weight on him etc? Yes! Was he worth it? Absolutely! In fact I’ve just bought another. Younger this time but with arthritis. I know that I can offer a quiet life where they give me as much happiness as hopefully I give back to them. If you are in the same position and you are attached to this horse then I would offer realistic £ with maybe a bit more on top for the fact that you care about this horse and can offer it a much brighter future. Good luck.

TPO

Visit site
The thing is when a horse isnt being taken care of it is very cheap to keep. If someone was to come along and say "yes but I'll have vet bills, feed bills, rug bills, hay bills and arthritis treatment bills" they would think that person was lying because they keep this horse with next to no feed, it never needs to see a vet and the arthritis doesn't bother the horse...

I feel for you OP and I dont know what the answer is other than what you can afford to secure her and dont feel bad if you cant justify silly money for greedy people.

I've been in a similar position with a younger, lame, ignored horse but because he was a good doer and only needed 1 section of hay a day and you could ignore him for 4mths then take him cantering and jumping (leaving him lamer) and he was fine (ie crippled the next day but would continue to oblidge). Tack didnt need to fit, a rug would go on in September and not be removed AT ALL until April at the earliest, only needed farrier once a year since shoes came off and horses dont need teeth done and she wanted ridiculous money for him because she really loved him...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Do you know the history of the mare, ie medical history? Would you have to pour much ££ into her to get her rideable or drivable?. It really depends as none of us have sentiment here or know the mare personally to know if she is worth 4 figures.

In October my friend and I bought a 13 year old suspected navicular, as told she had x rays. She came to us as she was 1 10ths lame, 15.1 hh from a small rescue, we paid £ 700 for her too. Now she is sound , good farrier and supplements and barefoot. So boils down to you really if you want to rescue her and prepared to offer over just to get her away from this woman. We did and don;t regret it.

meleeka

Visit site
Do you know the history of the mare, ie medical history? Would you have to pour much ££ into her to get her rideable or drivable?. It really depends as none of us have sentiment here or know the mare personally to know if she is worth 4 figures.

In October my friend and I bought a 13 year old suspected navicular, as told she had x rays. She came to us as she was 1 10ths lame, 15.1 hh from a small rescue, we paid £ 700 for her too. Now she is sound , good farrier and supplements and barefoot. So boils down to you really if you want to rescue her and prepared to offer over just to get her away from this woman. We did and don;t regret it.
If it were anywhere near £700 she’d be in my field now ☹️

The thing is when a horse isnt being taken care of it is very cheap to keep. If someone was to come along and say "yes but I'll have vet bills, feed bills, rug bills, hay bills and arthritis treatment bills" they would think that person was lying because they keep this horse with next to no feed, it never needs to see a vet and the arthritis doesn't bother the horse...

I feel for you OP and I dont know what the answer is other than what you can afford to secure her and dont feel bad if you cant justify silly money for greedy people.

I've been in a similar position with a younger, lame, ignored horse but because he was a good doer and only needed 1 section of hay a day and you could ignore him for 4mths then take him cantering and jumping (leaving him lamer) and he was fine (ie crippled the next day but would continue to oblidge). Tack didnt need to fit, a rug would go on in September and not be removed AT ALL until April at the earliest, only needed farrier once a year since shoes came off and horses dont need teeth done and she wanted ridiculous money for him because she really loved him...

It sounds like the same owner!🙄

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I do wish this bit of the forum was members only. The owner is either skint or deluded, probably both. 😡 We are talking 4 figures :(

Sorry - but the owner is barking! I DID get a nice WB for £1500 - because the owner was terrified he'd have to get ANOTHER sarcoid removed. He was 7! He DID arrive with strangles - and I spent 3 months teaching him to hack (he could nap for England) but he turned into a great hunter for 11 years, then retired Was ridden a bit after but we didn't have the time to just ride a horse for fun. He's 25 now. BUT - he was 7 at the time I bought him. And he's never had another sarcoid, lol. IF the mare was back in work and could pass a vetting (even with reservations) then maybe. But it's crazy money!

Hollychops

Visit site
Sounds very much like they are trying to emotionally blackmail you. If you are not prepared to pay what they ask and they wont accept your offer, walk away (easier said than done). Fingers crossed it wont come to that and it would be a hard decision to make, but unless you are prepared to pay what they want (and they sound greedy wanting a 4 figure sum) you can only make a counter offer and hope they see sense.
Just such a shame for the poor horse.

Leo Walker

Visit site
There are some harsh comments here. There are loads of arthritic horses much younger than this and by no means shouldn’t be written off just because she’s been out of work and 21 years of age.

Plus you can’t assume an owner of an older horse is going to be burdened by Illness or injury...again, how many posts do we see with younger horses who are already suffering with degenerate diseases.

I bought my horse last year at 19, he’s now 20. He’d been out of work and neglected but suited my requirements of hacking. What a fab horse he’s turned into...doesn’t look a day over 12

OP the horse is worth what you want to pay :)

There are loads of arthritic horses retired or PTS, there are som arthritic horses managed and in some level of work. Arthritis is a degenerative disease. Its only going to get worse and the horse already has it. Its buying a known problem.

While yours may look 12 hes not hes 20. The odds are stacked heavily that you will need to provide ongoing medical care and have increased costs for looking after him.

He sounds a lovely horse and is obviously perfect for you and has a lovely home. That still doesnt mean he has any real monetary value. He clearly has huge value for you, but it wont translate into hard cash. So no offering £1 isnt insulting. Its an offer they should grab with both hands and be grateful a horse they dont want has a secured future.

southerncomfort

Visit site
You either offer them what you can afford basically have the cash in your hand it makes it a bit harder for them to resist, or you walk away and leave it hard I know but I really think they are trying there luck here:(

Completely agree with this. However much you like the horse I think you need to harden your heart. You know they won't sell on the open market for what they are asking, so just offer what you are prepared to pay. They may initially say no but if you leave the offer on the table you might find they come back to you when she doesn't sell.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I was in this position with a younger horse . horse was almost going to be pts as dangerous to ride and I needed a companion. Got horse going and had agreed on the outset horse would be mine for £1 after 6 months. She hated regular work but was ok as long as you didn't do her more than once or twice a week. vet checks were fine. Once they saw horse was behaving 4 figure sum came into it. Out of my price range sadly so I had to send her back. Horse is now stood in the field ignored because she's now scared of her again.

meleeka

Visit site
I
Completely agree with this. However much you like the horse I think you need to harden your heart. You know they won't sell on the open market for what they are asking, so just offer what you are prepared to pay. They may initially say no but if you leave the offer on the table you might find they come back to you when she doesn't sell.
This is what I’ve done. I’ve made a generous offer which has been declined so I’ve left it at that. I’m hoping they don’t find someone with more money than sense. The owner isn’t aware that the horse has arthritis (and hasn’t noticed the associated sleep apnea either 😱).

Summit

Visit site
There are loads of arthritic horses retired or PTS, there are som arthritic horses managed and in some level of work. Arthritis is a degenerative disease. Its only going to get worse and the horse already has it. Its buying a known problem.

While yours may look 12 hes not hes 20. The odds are stacked heavily that you will need to provide ongoing medical care and have increased costs for looking after him.

He sounds a lovely horse and is obviously perfect for you and has a lovely home. That still doesnt mean he has any real monetary value. He clearly has huge value for you, but it wont translate into hard cash. So no offering £1 isnt insulting. Its an offer they should grab with both hands and be grateful a horse they dont want has a secured future.

Any horse of any age can end up fraught with health issues. Gamble you take....

LaurenBay

Visit site
If you have an emotional attachment to the Horse, I'd offer £300 and say that you cannot pay anymore, due to the fact he will more then likely need medical attention in the near future due to the arthritis and you don't know how bad the arthritis is at this point. If they say no, then I would walk away. They may come knocking on your door when he doesn't sell for a 4 figure sum (I can't imagine anyone willing to pay that for a 20YO arthritic Horse)

LaurenBay

Visit site
Any horse of any age can end up fraught with health issues. Gamble you take....

Whilst the above statement is true, this is still a HUGE gamble buying an older Horse with known medical conditions. Why would anyone buy an older Horse with a known issue, when there are hundreds of younger Horses with no known issues looking for homes? Obviously in this case OP already knows the Horse and feels an attachment. Arthritis is not a curable disease.

I myself would never knowingly buy a Horse with arthritis, after going through the heart ache of having my Horse of a lifetime PTS at the age of 13 due to arthritis.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I

This is what I’ve done. I’ve made a generous offer which has been declined so I’ve left it at that. I’m hoping they don’t find someone with more money than sense. The owner isn’t aware that the horse has arthritis (and hasn’t noticed the associated sleep apnea either 😱).

Good luck. I seriously doubt they will get another offer of any kind so hopefully they will see sense and sell to you.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Good luck Meleeka , playing the waiting game may get you there in the end , it’s horrible for you .
Poor mare she needs some Danilon so she can have a lie down .
Life is is unfair to horses sometimes .
Fatty really is one of the lucky ones .
However it has not stopped him being very naughty this week .

meleeka

Visit site
An update. The deal is done and I should be collecting her this weekend 😀😀😀. It’s still more than I wanted to pay but it’s worth it for me to know she’s safe. A Friend is having her on a loan just up the road so at least she won’t cost me to keep her for the time being.