How much oats to feed for energy?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I have been feeding coblet around 2 coffee cup's of oat each day for over a week now (since he started coming in at night). Prior to that he was on 1 coffee cup a day for about 2 weeks.

I can't say I've noticed any real change in him - for the first few days he was definitely more forward but since that coincided with the temperature dropping and him getting clipped I can't say for sure it was the oats.

I took him jumping this weekend and he was the flatest he's every been - no energy or ooomph or interest in what he was doing whatsoever. I'd taken him for a 7 mile hack the day before and although he wasn't tired he again was quite flat and lazy (but he can be like that to hack sometimes).

He's having a day off today and getting a massage in case he's sore somewhere. I've also put him back on the Kossolian blood salts just in case he needs a bit of a pick me up but I was wondering if it's even worth trying to up the amount of oat's he's getting?

He's not fat at the moment, in a reasonable about of work but given the lack of any impact the oats seem to have had so far I wonder if I'm better just accepting that oat's don't make any difference to him!!

coss

Visit site
My instructor often likens giving oats to a horse is like given an old man some whisky. If the old man generally has a grumpy temperament- he will be more grumpy. If he's a jokey happy character he will be more jokey and full of laughter.
Give a lazy or non-enthusiastic horse oats and they will be more lazy, to the extent they may use the extra energy against you - be more stubborn and/or buck/nap etc in protest but definitely won't work with you. Take a flighty thoroughbred and you make it more flighty thoroughbred with extra energy to run.
He may be the sort of horse that sours if ridden/worked too much. I know of a few horses that worked best when it was only 3 or 4 days per week- meant they could never be fittened properly but the rider got the best out of them when plenty of days off were given.