How much of riding is. . .

TarrSteps

Visit site
. .'mental' vs physical? How much can be leaned from reading, from 'knowing' something theoretically, and how much requires experience and application?

How much of a horse's behaviour is a reflection of the rider vs thoughts/feelings/reactions of its own?

I realise there is no single answer to those questions and I'm not asking them about any particular conversation, more just curious about people's thoughts on the subject and how it informs the way they train. If a horse is behaving badly because of its own free will - 'difficult' 'resistant' 'ungenerous' how much can the rider influence that by their own mental state or does is addressing one's mental state a necessary precursor to changing how one rides? Is it different for different people?

Jesstickle

Visit site
I think they are probably inextricably linked. I suspect that if one goes the other follows in very close succession. Last year I had a huge blip in my confidence (partly a personality clash with the horse, partly I suspect, the yard I was on). The problem initiated in my head but took about two rides to render me physically incapable as well. I knew what I needed to be doing but I couldn't get myself to do it and so each rode I rode worse, which made my head worse, which made me ride worse. I suspect it works in reverse as well although I've never been able to talk myself in to riding better, but then I haven't tried very hard. I guess what I mean is ideally you would tackle both sides at once. You would read and understand and in parallel you would attempt to do. I think probably in equal measure.

In answer to how much comes from the rider, well that depends on whether it is a wiley old pony or not ;) :p

Sheep

Visit site
I'm not sure if I am on the right track here but I think there is definitely a strong connection between my mental state and how it influences the horse / how I ride. I ride my bf's mare regularly, she is a hot, sensitive type so if I am not in the right frame of mind I limit what I do, and tend to work on slow, relaxed things - lots of stretching, keeping the session fairly short, ensuring that we finish on a good note having achieved something. If I have had a particularly bad day in work or whatever, I won't ride her, she can be very frustrating at times so I think it is better to avoid setting us both up for a bad session.

On a good day she is wonderful though and we have significantly more of these than bad, may I add!

I'm not sure about the theory vs application; I suppose it depends partly on how intuitive a rider you are and perhaps how naturally you can fine tune your approach to the particular horse. A thorough understanding of the theory is necessary - the processes that go into it - and not just the end result. One easy example is the notion of outline. I see lots of kids sawing on horses mouths to get them to carry their heads 'properly' as they see it - but they do not understand the theory. By the theory I do not mean the theory of sawing, but the whole process involved in getting the horse to work correctly and therefore carry itself in the desired manner!

Last edited:

spookypony

Visit site
I think that's a really hard question to disentangle, especially if the horse is always handled by the same person. An instructor once likened me and the Spooky Pony to an old couple sitting on the sofa fighting over the remote! :p All I know is that today, we were stuck at the top of some stairs partway up a mountain. I didn't like the idea of going back down the stairs, and he also didn't like the idea of going back down the stairs, even when his buddy had slithered back down them. How it has happened that I'm posting on Facebook, and not waiting for a helicopter with a sling to get us back down, will have to be in another thread! :D

Seriously, though, I think a mental maladjustment is generally expressed through phsyical means, however subtle, which the horse then picks up on. I can't necessarily will myself into a better mental state, but I can pay close attention to controlling the physical manifestations of this. Accordingly, the horse (generally) then goes much better, which in turn helps my mental state to improve. The more that I try this, the quicker the results, and the longer-lasting the improved mental state.

Much of my lessons on Ballerina Mare are currently focussed on exactly that, controlling the physical manifestations of my nerves and general stress level: hyperflexed ankles, a tense lumbar region in canter, nervous gripping...thankfully, as a performer, I've been trained to project confidence on the outside in hopes that it will seep inside, and that skill seems to be transferable to my riding thus far. :)

anna22

Visit site
Interesting thoughts. I think there is a considerable parallel with frame of mind and riding and/or horses response. Equally I think it is also dependent on the horse, I think particularly sensitive horses will always be more 'in-tune' to your frame of mind, body language and general aura. My gelding is sensitive, to the point where my partner can't ride him - my OH is a very 'agricultural' rider, kick and go and has a very 'dominant' persona especially around the horses, which totally upsets my gelding, he becomes tense, hypersensitive and incredibly over-reactive - regardless of what my OH does or doesn't do.
I also learn a huge amount from watching - not so much reading although knowing the theory helps, watching someone do/not do what you're trying really allows me to visualise what I need to do.
I am a firm believer in mind over matter - in all aspects of life, but certainly if I'm having a bad day, I rarely do anything other than hack on the buckle end... and even then Enty will be all eyes-on-stalks and spook-tastic.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Without the theory, either read or taught, you can ride and ride but never achieve much because the skill is lacking. Without sufficient application of that theory, you don't get enough of your riding to be instinctive, to really be able to focus on what you want to do at that particular time. Without experience, you won't know that there are many ways to achieve a particular goal, and be able to apply the correct one to the situation before you. Experience + learning also give confidence and that inner calm, that makes a horse trust you and obey you.

So many people are amazed that they are causing their horse's behaviour, and that he/she is not actually 'naughty' at all.

be positive

Visit site
I think people vary, some can learn from books, learning the theory then being able to put in into the application, very successfully, some need to learn by being shown how to by the eyes on the ground, instructor or trainer, there are a few who learn best by watching the horse doing whatever they have tried, or failed to do, then getting on to do it themselves.
I have taught some who have no confidence so have needed to be shown how it can be done in order to develop feel and building up the confidence, they need to understand that even getting something "wrong" is part of the building blocks required in order to be able to get it right, that to really develop feel takes time and making mistakes is not a disaster, a horse is generally very forgiving.
If the rider is in the wrong frame of mind that certainly goes through to the horse, I think many badly behaved horses are reacting to poor communication, not many are bad, difficult or ungenerous they are usually not understanding the question being asked or have physical limitations.

I think that riding is more mental than physical most of the time, horses are strong we can and do use force to some extent some of the time but get a confident horse that trusts its rider then the rider can physically do far less and achieve so much more at all levels and in all spheres, a confident happy hacker being ridden safely everywhere on a long rein can be as hard to establish as a higher level competition horse.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
For me, the mental and physical cannot be parted. I cannot do one without the other being involved, even if it is under my awareness.

With an activity like riding, a certain of amount of how things 'should' be done can be gleaned from reading books. The amount of reading and the type of attention paid to the reading can influence the knowledge to a certain extent. However, any amount of reading is not going to change the fact that riding the horse must be done in order to learn the motor skills necessary to ride. Coordination is a skill that needs to be learned, which I find unfortunate nearly every time I ride!

With regards the horses behaviour, the type of horse will impact how much the horse will be affected by the riders emotion. I (being a true redhead) am quite an over emotional person, and I very much take things to heart (despite my best efforts not to!). Over the years, I have had some horses that are very good at being absolutely the same regardless of my emotional state. My current mare is extremely sensitive to my emotional state. If I am feeling unwell or really down in the dumps, this mare will be so careful and loving it is untrue. If I am cross with her, she will be difficult, awkward and is likely to try to be a bucking bronco! It seems my current (redhead) mare is just as sensitive as I am , and she too takes things to heart. We are still on a learning curve for both of us to try and contain our emotional outbursts at times!

I think, for any rider, to be able to approach each horse they ride as a blank slate, and not to take any 'baggage' with them when they get on , is quite important. I think its the same as people driving - when a person gets in a car angry, they will drive more aggressively and are more likely to cause an accident through their over zealous approach.

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I once did a little experiment based on something I'd read about/seen on tv somewhere. The principle was that you said the word 'yes' out loud when the horse was doing what you perceived to be acceptable in terms of riding. For example, for me, it meant in a nice shape, forward from the leg, straight, attentive and nice in the hand. I found myself saying 'yes' a lot! Not sure where I'm going with this, but wanted to say that I think your mental approach and attitude is everything when riding and dealing with horses.

cobden

Visit site
I think that reading and theory is the 'what' and the 'why', but the application of it gives you the 'how'. I can have read about how to set a movement up or apply the aids but have needed the feedback from the horse to make the tiny adjustments that give you that 'so THATS what its supposed to feel like' moment.
In terms of mental state affecting how you ride then personally I think its key - I could watch a video of myself and instantly recognise the state of mind i was in when I rode - and the same movement ridden with a confident/positivite state of mind would be/look completely different from one where the inner dialogue (this is rubbish god youre useless what are you DOING) has taken over ! :)

khalswitz

Visit site
. .'mental' vs physical? How much can be leaned from reading, from 'knowing' something theoretically, and how much requires experience and application?

How much of a horse's behaviour is a reflection of the rider vs thoughts/feelings/reactions of its own?

I realise there is no single answer to those questions and I'm not asking them about any particular conversation, more just curious about people's thoughts on the subject and how it informs the way they train. If a horse is behaving badly because of its own free will - 'difficult' 'resistant' 'ungenerous' how much can the rider influence that by their own mental state or does is addressing one's mental state a necessary precursor to changing how one rides? Is it different for different people?

Some horses are definitely more generous than others. If I get anything wrong when jumping my current horse, he'll just stop - yet my last horse would chip a stride, do a flyer, knock the fence, do anything except stop... if he wasn't going to jump you'd know seven or eight strides away.

I'll be the first to say that when I expect or suspect a stop from my current boy, I often end up getting one - vicious cycle. So mental aspect definitely applies - when I get negative he gets negative, so I have to ride positive to get results. However my last horse definitely didn't need handholding so much, so I could 'get away' with mistakes more. My old horse however hated being interfered with, so arguments tended to end in him galloping off with me. So whilst current horse reacted poorly to nerves, and positively to me riding strongly and dictating, other horse was opposite. They needed totally different riding, physically *and* mentally, in a way.

I have changed a LOT from riding the current one, as both physical and mental aspects are different. But I'd say I had to physically change to mentally change, as I had to learn how to cope with the stopping before I could stop worrying about it, and then as I learnt to cop it is slowly decreasing.

I don't think I've explained that very well...

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have read about cooking, ironing and cleaning. I think I understand the theory now but I find the actual practice hard and just have no feel for it. I guess I could practice more and see if I obtain more skill in these areas but I prefer to whine about them and do them badly as I don't want to try really hard and end up disappointed that I have worked hard and not really improved.

kez1001

Visit site
There is a phrase you must learn what you know and I think it applies greatly with horses.

You can read everything you ever wanted to know about horses but applying it requires recognising when it is required. There are also many roads to Rome and how you get the end result will be dependent upon many variables with horses and riders. Mood and attitude will influence the behaviour of each and certain characters are more likely to rub off positively and negatively on each other. I know through experience there are days I'm better going for a hack and days I can school and feel completely focused. I also wonder with females whether hormones can influence this too? Perhaps this is why men and gelding dominate the top end of the equestrian sport??

The ability to influence a tricky, naughty, ungenerous or resistant horse is very much dependent in my eyes as to how the horse came to be that way. Sometimes you can see how combinations have flaws in their foundations and they do not gel or worse clash. This can then create a difficult situation that another jockey may have approached differently and it would have never came to a head. Horses by nature are biddable and do not seek conflict so if you show them the answer they will try when you ask the question.

Interesting thread, you never stop learning from horses.

dieseldog

Visit site
I have read about cooking, ironing and cleaning. I think I understand the theory now but I find the actual practice hard and just have no feel for it. I guess I could practice more and see if I obtain more skill in these areas but I prefer to whine about them and do them badly as I don't want to try really hard and end up disappointed that I have worked hard and not really improved.

I just got a husband and made him my b***h - he rides too

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it's both.
You need to be trained and strive physically to ride well and get good balance and control .
You need trainers / mentors to help develop your skills and guide you while you develop your feel and learn and develop your ' system ' for training .
You need horses to train and learn from .
And you widen your knowledge by reading .
I think you need the whole lot.

skint1

Visit site

Lol, this usually works for me :)

I think you can learn the theory of riding from books, videos etc but you do need to apply yourself and practice because a lot of your success will be down to your seat and position and the only way to develop that is through time in the saddle.

My horse is very forgiving, I can be having as many crises of confidence as I want to have and she behaves no differently, I am scared of the motorway bridge, on she plods, scared of the big lorry-on she plods, be with a horse having a big old melt down, she will step out the way with a sigh. I am still very much a novice, my horse makes me seem better than I am. I don't hack very far on my own, but when I do, I think that is pretty much the only time my lack of confidence does effect her, she is a lot more spooky without other horses around. More experienced and confident riders can take her out on their own though with no problem.

TarrSteps

Visit site

:) :) :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
Seriously, though, I think a mental maladjustment is generally expressed through phsyical means, however subtle, which the horse then picks up on. I can't necessarily will myself into a better mental state, but I can pay close attention to controlling the physical manifestations of this. Accordingly, the horse (generally) then goes much better, which in turn helps my mental state to improve. The more that I try this, the quicker the results, and the longer-lasting the improved mental state.

Much of my lessons on Ballerina Mare are currently focussed on exactly that, controlling the physical manifestations of my nerves and general stress level: hyperflexed ankles, a tense lumbar region in canter, nervous gripping...thankfully, as a performer, I've been trained to project confidence on the outside in hopes that it will seep inside, and that skill seems to be transferable to my riding thus far. :)

Glad you're not still up a mountain. Although the mental image of SP getting airlifted off did make me laugh.

The second part of your reply is interesting to me because - perhaps not surprisingly - it's how I've always been taught. You don't wait for a magical day you don't feel stressed, you learn to control the manifestations and repercussions of stress and then you get on with it, which, in itself, moderates the stress somewhat because you gradually get used to performing in that situation.

I think that is true for horses, too. Expecting them not to be stressed in stressful situations is unrealistic. It's teaching them how to respond in those situations in ways that lessen the stress on all involved. Of course every horse (and person) has their own naturally set 'thermostat' and inbuilt tendencies, too, which may take more or less work to produce an optional result.

soulfull

Visit site
I think people vary, some can learn from books, learning the theory then being able to put in into the application, very successfully, some need to learn by being shown how to by the eyes on the ground, instructor or trainer, there are a few who learn best by watching the horse doing whatever they have tried, or failed to do, then getting on to do it themselves.
I have taught some who have no confidence so have needed to be shown how it can be done in order to develop feel and building up the confidence, they need to understand that even getting something "wrong" is part of the building blocks required in order to be able to get it right, that to really develop feel takes time and making mistakes is not a disaster, a horse is geneirally very forgiving.
If the rider is in the wrong frame of mind that certainly goes through to the horse, I think many badly behaved horses are reacting to poor communication, not many are bad, difficult or ungenerous they are usually not understanding the question being asked or have physical limitations.

I think that riding is more mental than physical most of the time, horses are strong we can and do use force to some extent some of the time but get a confident horse that trusts its rider then the rider can physically do far less and achieve so much more at all levels and in all spheres, a confident happy hacker being ridden safely everywhere on a long rein can be as hard to establish as a higher level competition horse.

This sums it up for me

I've leant that I am to gentle both physically and mentally for some horses. I need and now have a gentle sensitive, submissive but forward thinking horse. One that will offer 'something' rather than plant or freeze when I get it wrong
I've learnt an awful lot of theory some of which I can transfer into riding myself some I still need to watch and learn, some I need to feel. When it goes wrong and horse makes me nervous I have to watch someone else correct it so I can see it won't turn into a battle that I couldn't win. Again I now have this

In the past I've had 2 gelding that were naturally lazy or only ever offered the bear minimum, this is no good for me. One also threw everything inx kitchen sink when 'made' to work wasn't bothered what happened to rider at all !
The other threw a lot at me but ultimately would step under you as you were about to come out the side door or do whatever it took to save his rider (I learnt. More from him than is possible to share. But if he was still in work I no longer have the physical strength it took to ride him).

spookypony

Visit site
Glad you're not still up a mountain. Although the mental image of SP getting airlifted off did make me laugh.

The second part of your reply is interesting to me because - perhaps not surprisingly - it's how I've always been taught. You don't wait for a magical day you don't feel stressed, you learn to control the manifestations and repercussions of stress and then you get on with it, which, in itself, moderates the stress somewhat because you gradually get used to performing in that situation.

I think that is true for horses, too. Expecting them not to be stressed in stressful situations is unrealistic. It's teaching them how to respond in those situations in ways that lessen the stress on all involved. Of course every horse (and person) has their own naturally set 'thermostat' and inbuilt tendencies, too, which may take more or less work to produce an optional result.

I think it's true for both. I know I will be stressed at least sometimes, and I know the horse will be stressed sometimes. If I don't have a strategy for coping with the stress for both of us, I get even more stressed, and we end up in a bit of a spiral of doom.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Just like anything - people do learn differently (that's fairly well acknowledged in terms of academic work, certainly). I find it much easier to learn from books than people as I'm generally too alarmed by social interaction when people tell me things (particularly if I don't happen to agree with them!). Books are rarely offended if you don't act on their advice ;)

But I also find it very easy to learn from reading and thinking in other aspects of life - I have self-taught languages, sciences and all sorts successfully in the past. Often, other people struggle to understand concepts which just make sense to me. (Similarly, I am a complete dunce in other fields, including for example, music, where I have all the skill, rhythm and tune of a deceased walrus.)

That said, there are probably some things/issues/skills where most people would benefit from an experienced instructor of some form, while others are easier to learn from theory.

As for mental attitude, I guess it will affect performance, and the horse's response, but there are so many variables (not least the horse's personality and attitude). The right attitude for the right horse, for the right discipline...

Last edited:

loobylu

Visit site
At a basic level, you can get pretty far on good mental skills- we all know a man who hopped on his girlfriend's horse and was soon seen wazzing around 90cm courses without much technique, but with no doubts in his mind! Clearly, at some point, in order to progress said chap would need some nitty gritty instruction to both improve security, and understand how to work the horse etc.
On the other hand, being nervous does not mean you have to ride like a tool. Recognise what you do when nervous and don't flipping do it! Pretty sure there are plenty of nervous riders in the xc warm up at a 4* but they don't do bizarre things to their horses because of it.

paddy

Visit site
Hmn. Several years ago I had an excellent lesson with Tim Stockdale, who told me I needed to leave my books at the gate to the arena and the art of show jumping was simply getting from one side of the fence to the other whilst leaving the fence up. To be fair, I am a typical lawyer and want to get everything correct and in the right order, and beat myself up if something's not perfect. I also watched a very entertaining clinic with Geoff Billington and Corinne Bracken, where Geoff clearly couldn't explain why had put a particular grid up, but Corinne could. No-one could dispute Geoff gets results, and rather better than popping around a 90cm! On that front, I think it shows there are people who can do and people who can teach and people who can do both.

Dressage trainer (I don't jump thes days) likes us to understand 'why' we're doing something. I find this really helpful when it comes to working in between lessons. According to him the thing I need to leave at the gate is 'emotion', and keep the books! He also requires me to be an Oscar winning actress at times, and fool Mac into thinking I'm brave and in control, when in reality I'm terrified (he has a habit of buggering off at the gallop whilst bucking like a rodeo horse, with no warning, although much less frequently than he used to!).

But I don't think you can learn to be a good rider simply from understanding the theory. You can't teach feel and one of the most difficult (and rewarding) aspects of teaching is creating that light bulb moment when the pupil suddenly 'gets' what you've been working towards.

TarrSteps

Visit site
At a basic level, you can get pretty far on good mental skills- we all know a man who hopped on his girlfriend's horse and was soon seen wazzing around 90cm courses without much technique, but with no doubts in his mind! Clearly, at some point, in order to progress said chap would need some nitty gritty instruction to both improve security, and understand how to work the horse etc.
On the other hand, being nervous does not mean you have to ride like a tool. Recognise what you do when nervous and don't flipping do it! Pretty sure there are plenty of nervous riders in the xc warm up at a 4* but they don't do bizarre things to their horses because of it.

Some people do just have a knack for making horses go, although that's not a popular opinion now. Plus being basically un bothered can be a real benefit as horses are simple souls and don't like drama

I do find the catch to the 'ignorance is bliss' school is what happens when/after something does go wrong. If the confidence is built on skills it can usually be reset quite quickly. If it's built on sand then it's much harder to regroup and often takes a lot more work

humblepie

Visit site
Another who is so far as work is concerned logical and fairly academic (or sort of!), but so far as riding is concerned books don't do it for me - I understand the mechanics of a lot of things and generally when watching or having lessons I understand what and why but I need someone telling me, not reading it in a book.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Jumping is quite a bit about theory. You understand that you need a certain canter for a certain fence, that you need a certain line and speed and that you, the rider, need to do different things, appropriate to the type of fence that you are jumping. And then it's about getting the right feel and being able to put those things into practice.

Flatwork, though, is more about feel. Alright, so in theory, you want the hind end working well, you want balance and you want a good contact. And then a dressage judge will tell you that your horse needs to be more "through", or "connected" or "uphill".... I mean, what? Have you ever tried saying that to a non-horsey person? Could you explain to a lay person what "through" is, and how to achieve it?!

khalswitz

Visit site
Jumping is quite a bit about theory. You understand that you need a certain canter for a certain fence, that you need a certain line and speed and that you, the rider, need to do different things, appropriate to the type of fence that you are jumping. And then it's about getting the right feel and being able to put those things into practice.

Flatwork, though, is more about feel. Alright, so in theory, you want the hind end working well, you want balance and you want a good contact. And then a dressage judge will tell you that your horse needs to be more "through", or "connected" or "uphill".... I mean, what? Have you ever tried saying that to a non-horsey person? Could you explain to a lay person what "through" is, and how to achieve it?!

Funny, I'd have said the other way!! However jumping is your strong point, whilst I'd say flatwork is mine.

I'm always being told to stop over analysing the jumping, to just 'ride it', to 'sit back and kick', and to get a 'feel' for my canter. Flatwork, I'm constantly discussing why we're doing what we're doing, what we're trying to achieve, how doing x will affect y, and how we look at training as a progression. To me, this makes sense due to the theory - jumping seems to be a mystical thing where a certain magical canter will somehow allow me to leave fences up (if I get over them at all).

Supanova

Visit site
I think riding is 70/30 mental/technique. I have seen a lot of riders with limited technique but who have 100% belief in their ability and they get their horses to jump clear round after clear round. It is not possible to get to the higher levels of any sport without a good technique but i think a strong mental attitude and confidence in ones own ability can take people much further than someone with a good technique but with lacking confidence or a poor mental attitude.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Even knowing the theory doesn't mean that you can ride well. And confusingly there are many theories put around! Mary Wanless is good at breaking down meanings, and she is also very good at telling how many things said by instructors can be misinterpreted, particularly if an instructor is also a very good rider and they find things easy. I also think that male instructors and riders don't realise how strong they are compared to a woman rider.

Still, being able to understand, absorb and act on instruction can come down to how much brain you have.
Some people are idiots, let's face it, and never, ever seem to learn and the instructor gets fed up with repeating the same thing time and time again. Some very well known names have stated this in various magazine columns.

The other thing is nerves leading to tension. I was once at a dressage competition and was watching the other horses in the warm-up thinking "what am I doing here against all these?" However, from someone watching the competition they told me that the others all fell apart once they got in the arena - horses nodded their heads, went too fast, too slow, etc. etc. so I wasn't outclassed in the end. I worry I won't remember the test, but I don't worry about competing.

Show jumping is more difficult for the average rider I think, as you need to know how many strides there are between fences and how to increase and decrease stride length and to adapt the course to your horse.

I think reading the theory is important, but not to get confused if you read something different in ever book.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Funny, I'd have said the other way!! However jumping is your strong point, whilst I'd say flatwork is mine.

I'm always being told to stop over analysing the jumping, to just 'ride it', to 'sit back and kick', and to get a 'feel' for my canter. Flatwork, I'm constantly discussing why we're doing what we're doing, what we're trying to achieve, how doing x will affect y, and how we look at training as a progression. To me, this makes sense due to the theory - jumping seems to be a mystical thing where a certain magical canter will somehow allow me to leave fences up (if I get over them at all).

Aha! What level DR do you do? See, I would say that, at its roots, jumping probably is about getting on with it and not thinking about it. But as you encounter different types of fence, as the dimensions and technicality increase, well then you really need to know the theory behind what you're doing.

Is it the same with dressage? If I did pure dressage, I'd be at about prelim level. But because my DR level is dictated by eventing, I find myself at Elementary level. So, is it the case that I think jumping involves more theory because I jump at a higher level than I dressage, and you think the opposite, because you do the opposite? And is that the answer to Tarrsteps' question; that, the more advanced it gets, the greater the theory component becomes?

By the way, I don't have a strong point.