How much petrol money to pay for lift in lorry??

SueAllen

Visit site
Get a lift from a friend in a Bedford 3 horse lorry, reasonably old. Can anyone on here give me a ball park figure as to how much these might do the gallon/litre? I want to give her some petrol money each time and would like it to be fair for both of us.

Thank you.

kerilli

Visit site
vague guess of about 10-12 miles to the gallon, but don't quote me on it! can't believe the price of diesel at the moment anyway, it just cost me £93 to fill up my Cargo, i nearly had a heart attack! i'm sure it used to cost me 50 quid...
frown.gif
frown.gif

martyna

Visit site
id offer half the diesel and a drink, after all she has all the running costs associated with running her lorry !!

SueAllen

Visit site
Happy to pay half the diesel plus but would like to be able to work it out based on the miles per gallon/litre that the vehicle is likely to do. Some trips are longer than others. Would be fair to pay more for longer journeys than shorter ones. She won't tell me - just says whatever I think is right....but I don't have any idea what is right without knowing what the likely fuel consumption is.

chriscrogul

Visit site
Usually the friend I give a lift to will pay my entry fees, its a good arrangement for us as she's super organised and sends them off in time!

kanter

Visit site
I would reckon about 40 - 50p per mile total cost, so half of this if you're sharing, but I woud round it up to cover some running costs
smile.gif
smile.gif

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks Kanter - I'll work on that..

Spaniel - illegal? What paying money for transport or going hunting??!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

I can, I assume, pay her in an equivalent value of our home grown lamb or pork...??

spaniel

Visit site
The transport, if you pay her then she is deemed as commercial.

Im sure you could find an alternative currency later on though.
wink.gif

JM07

Visit site
technically you shouldnt give her any money..as it comes under "reward for hire" regulations and for that she would need an Operator's Licence.

if you feel you need to give her something, take her out for a meal....or a couple of bottles of wine.

L

lilym

spaniel and JM07 are right, if you give your'e friend money, even if just for petrol, she will be deemed as hire for reward, and therefore need a commercial license, i give a freind a lift to dressage, she repays me in choccies and stable duties lol!
laugh.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
dont give her any money, you will land her right in the poo!! (well if she got caught!) What I do is actually put fuel IN my friends lorry directly, then no cash changes hands!

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks all - warning heeded! Will be paying in 'some other currency' ......! But at least I know the exchange value of that SOC which is really what I needed to know.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Can you not start with a full tank, then when you have returned fill up? It is difficult to say because if you carry more weight you will be using more fuel. I have been caught out in the past when "friends" have borrowed lorry & I have ended up with less fuel showing on the gauge because they thought a tenner would replace the fuel used. I always start with a full tank then top up when a couple of miles from home. I will only let my lorry be used now when my horse can go (as I cant alway drive due to work). People seem to forget it is not just the fuel, if they borrow it they are putting milage on plus the wear & tear. In your case I would come to a quiet arrangement that suits you both.

foraday

Visit site
You cannot give your friend anything-chockies, wine nor fill the tank up yourself! That infringes on the reward and hire which means she needs an operators licence

HH did a feature recently and mentioned that if friends were taking out each other on a regular basis then Care Custody and Control insurance would be required.