how much PTS/cremation?

riding_high

Visit site
hi i was just wondering if people could give me an idea of how much it would cost to have a horse PTS (by injection with vet, not debateable) and then to have the horse cremated (multiple cremation)?
it's a big horse and in the south west of england.

thanks in advance.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Probably best speak to your vet, they should be able to give you an exact cost (call out fee, consultation and drugs) I'd guess £100 ish depending on your call out.
Collection and group cremation - vets should be able to give you the number of the local knackerman - he'd be c.£150-200 ish. Again if you call him he'll be able to be specific.

Sorry that your in this situation, hugs.

riding_high

Visit site
thanks. i dont' know when i will have to make the decision but it's difficult times that is now making me have to consider this option for my horse. will speak to my vet tomorrow and ring a few people up. would be good to know the costs before hand so that i can get the money put aside now.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I'm in the north-west. Emergency callout and PTS by injection £180 and removal and group cremation £130. That was in October 2011.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Mine was a emergancy so had a out of hours call out which made it a bit higher. Sorry you are having to do this, its very sad. Mine was west mids, this year.

flitz02

Visit site
It's been about 10years since i had to do the deed so may not be relevant but it was approx £200 for the vet with sedation first & £150 for the hunt to take away & cremate this was in wiltshire & obviously this has prob increased a bit since then.Prob best to phone your vets & just have a chat to the receptionist who will be able to give you a much better understanding of your options.No need to tell them who you are if you dont want to just in case you are currentley just weighing up your options etcIt;s never a nice thing to do but the one thing we do owe our horses is to give them a dingnifed end.Good luck.xx

magichorse

Visit site
A couple of years ago I paid about £150 for pts on a Sunday eve and cremation (single not group) was £380 ish (in Cheshire)

honetpot

Visit site
Make sure you get a fallen stock company not pet cremation one. I had my horse cremated just after Christmas and it was £200 including vat, no frills. Emergency call out is £50.

riding_high

Visit site
polos mum thankyou. my horse means everything to me and i've spent 4yrs fighting to keep him going through one thing or another. now i have to think what's right for him, my kids and myself. the fact i'm thinking about it all just tells me the time is nearing.

SNORKEY

Visit site
We're in hampshire and We paid £400 in June to have our vet put our old mare to sleep and have her cremated.
To make it a bit easier we said our good byes then the vet done the deed and waited whilst the man who does the cremation came. I stayed around the corner whilst it was done and I heard her drop and it was very very quick. Its so sad but you know when the time has come. We chose a lovely summer day and she had loads of rich grass and treats.

mga4ever

Visit site
We did this 1 month ago.

Vet call out £35
Euthanasia £124
Collection and cremation - no ashes returned £192
All above include vat.

We are in Cheshire

A tough decision but having done it twice for oldies who have been part of the family 15+ years, with time you realise it is the last kind deed you can do for your faithful companion.

indie999

Visit site
Last summer it was about £150 IV sedative prior to final injection.TBH the sedative he stopped eating the first apple halfway through and stood snoozing. The second injection he went down about 30seconds. It was so smooth, he wouldnt have known a thing.So blooming hard my best friend, but I stayed and it was easy for him to go.
Collected for group cremation (no ashes returned)I think was about £230? depended on size of horse he was a big boy.They asked how many hands he was when I did it via vets. The vet booked the time and either the collecting lorry was going to wait up the road and I was to ring but they were about an hour away on the day so I did have to hang around but they were very good. They gave me their phone number and I just kept the guy informed as to the deed being done.
The vet gave me all the information. It was very peaceful as it was a planned PTS and suited this situation. Hope this helps.They know their job.

Last edited:

riding_high

Visit site
i've had horses PTS a few times before but this one really is special and circumstances are very different. i will ring up the company that took my last horse and ask them how much they would charge for multiple cremation. they were excellent each time i've used them. they quoted quite a bit for a single cremation a couple of years ago but never asked about multiple for this horse. will also ask the vet who they use and how much (roughly) is charged.

indie999

Visit site
At the time I just wanted him out of it but I do sometimes wonder if I should have scattered his ashes in his field although I tried to be realistic and realise he was gone!

I used one of the authorised cremation services they did send me a card etc afterwards which I wasnt expecting. They seemed pretty caring and the guy used a converyor belt to load up the body afterwards. It was a very good swift service.

My vet gave me a rough idea of prices. I dont think sedation is needed in some horses but mine stood perfectly still and I am glad he had the pre dose sedative. Good luck though. I think you are looking at few hundred ie £300ish to £350 looking at the other prices.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
hi i was just wondering if people could give me an idea of how much it would cost to have a horse PTS (by injection with vet, not debateable) and then to have the horse cremated (multiple cremation)?

thanks in advance.

PTS injection around £ 100.

cremation - dependng on what service £ 230 - 750 there about

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
thanks. i dont' know when i will have to make the decision but it's difficult times that is now making me have to consider this option for my horse. will speak to my vet tomorrow and ring a few people up. would be good to know the costs before hand so that i can get the money put aside now.

Well done you. This is exactly what I did the first time. The only thing I did not decided on is what to have on casket. This I should decide before as you wont be in the right frame to think when that time comes

the one things I will say ( having gone through this in the last few months is. )

1. choose a company on this website
2. Do not let you vets push you into anything you do not want
3. plan ahead
4. Check this web for all the question you will need to check on before. http://www.appcc.org.uk/find.htm

I wish I knew this before, then i would not have let my vets push me into the peeps they use, as they were rude, dirty truck, i had to phone and phone to get her ashes back.:(.

Added info here
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/in-memoriam--cremation-of-your-horse-or-pony.html

Last edited:

riding_high

Visit site
leviathan, thankyou i will look at the website now. i'm very lucky with my vet, he is not pushy at all either for or against. he has said that he would like it to be him that does the deed though as he's been through so much with my horse and me.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Sorry you are having to ask this question riding_high :(

I have no experience with horse pts sorry, but I'm quite shocked at the prices!

My experience - she was a much loved collie girl!

She died in 2007 and was buried in the garden. When I moved at the back end of 2011 I had her exhumed and privately cremated - not a nice job for the lad that came to do it, took him a good hour. I was present throughout though not looking and had my nose covered. My Dad was there also, looking and asking lots of gruesome questions! (Men!!) Said my goodbyes again once he had her out and in a bag, collected her ashes a few days later. Small local firm who also run an abattoirs on a different site to the pet/horse crem - Cost me £150 incl VAT!

I had dealt with them quite a lot whilst I was in practice, but don't remember mentioning that at the time, although it is possible I got 'mates rates' as the price seemed v low, also considering I live 13 miles away from the crem!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

thanks in advance.

Ridinghigh.

I would

ask your vet who they use
find out if they are licensed
where they take them etc

all these questions are in the second link above there is a document there will everything you need to know and ask your vet.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sorry you are having to ask this question riding_high :(

I have no experience with horse pts sorry, but I'm quite shocked at the prices!

My experience - she was a much loved collie girl!

She died in 2007 and was buried in the garden. When I moved at the back end of 2011 I had her exhumed and privately cremated - not a nice job for the lad that came to do it, took him a good hour. I was present throughout though not looking and had my nose covered. My Dad was there also, looking and asking lots of gruesome questions! (Men!!) Said my goodbyes again once he had her out and in a bag, collected her ashes a few days later. Small local firm who also run an abattoirs on a different site to the pet/horse crem - Cost me £150 incl VAT!

I had dealt with them quite a lot whilst I was in practice, but don't remember mentioning that at the time, although it is possible I got 'mates rates' as the price seemed v low, also considering I live 13 miles away from the crem!

Can I ask who you got to exhume her???

I only ask as i buried 2 cats and a dog and if i ever leave here i want this too. Only they have been buried a few years