How much? Schooling Session Question

express_75

Visit site
Hi

Im having schooling problems with my mare & have been thinking about selling her & getting an older, well schooled, been there done it type to learn from. I've just been asked by a girl at the yard if i would like her to school my horse 4-5 times a week while i hack her etc.

I haven't got a clue how much (if i went ahead) i should give her? I pay £30 per week livery as it is. How long would this take? My mare is only 5 & a Section D..

I don't know what to do for the best.

alsxx

Visit site
Have you had lessons on her at all? I would always rather have lessons myself than get someone else to school them for me.

Someone at our yard helps our another livery by schooling her horse - she pays her £10 a session - not sure how long for. Girl that does the schooling has ridden up to Novice level BD.

Baileysno1

Visit site
When I sold Ryu I was based at the same yard as my trainer, I paid her to school him / hack him before he went (I was emigrating) She's an AI has evented to advance level and buys and sells to subsidise her income as an event groom. I paid £40 a week, I advertised him after 1 week and she dealt with the vetting and the sale for 10% he sold via H&H instantly so only paid for 2 weeks schooling in the end. It went very smoothly and I would definately do it again.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is this person going to do a good job, or is she someone who just thinks she can school your horse??

Personally I'd do it yourself - with a good instructor. You can do it - it's just difficult that's all.

Have short lessons, with little goals - rather than hour long lessons where you feel you are not achieving anything.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I hate to say this but seeing as your horse is only 5 isn't schooling her 4 - 5 times a week a bit much?

I only say this because I've got a 7 yr old TB who came out of racing 4 months ago and I am reschooling him. The last week has been a pain with lessons being rearranged etc and he's been schooled 4 nights out of 7. Last night he'd just had enough and we didn't get very far at all. I know he was bored and fed up so he is now going to have a week off schooling and go out for rides every day instead.

Just a thought - maybe try and give your girl a bit more fun and reduce the schooling. Perhaps try one lesson a week and one session of schooling and see what happens there.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to say this but seeing as your horse is only 5 isn't schooling her 4 - 5 times a week a bit much?

Just a thought - maybe try and give your girl a bit more fun and reduce the schooling

[/ QUOTE ]
And agree 100% with this. A lot of what you want to teach can be done out on a hack anyway.....

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I take horses for schooling, but part of the arrangement is that the owner comes for lessons on the horse - there is very little point in me being able to ride it if they can't
smile.gif

Like others have said though, she is only 5, and it's possible that whatever the issues are, she just needs a bit of time and variety.

As to cost, I charge between £10 and £20 a session, depending on what I do and how long it takes me. If this girl is good enough, and if you think that you and your horse will benefit in the long run, then fine, but I would recommend you have lessons on your horse as well. Good luck!
smile.gif

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Totally agree Amy May about a lot of what you want to teach you can do on a hack.

Thinking about what I did out exercising this morning - walk/trot, trot/walk, trot/canter, canter/trot transitions, leg yielding, bit of shoulder in, rein back (doing gates!!), had a good gallop and jumped a post and rails and it was all fun and the horse didn't even realise he was doing school work on a fun ride (nor did I until I wrote it down - just do it as a matter of course!!).

Now that my horse is working in a good outline I insist he walks and trots in one unless he is having time out ambling and I'm sure we achieve more practising what we've learnt out for a ride than we do going round and round in circles schooling.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
rein back (doing gates!!),

[/ QUOTE ]
Also good for turn on the forehand.....

And of course there's the old half halt as well
smile.gif

meesa1

Visit site
Express_75 you mustn't give up, imo if you've lost confidence in the school during lessons you need a new instructor. I was in exactly the same boat a few months ago and was ready for giving everything up but i didn't & now i am SO glad. Our turning point has come from a change in bit and i have to strongly agree with Guildford - more hacking, less schooling (i now have a much happier & willing to please horse). I certainly agree that 4-5 times schooling per week is too much, any horse, but especially a youngster, needs to enjoy its work and be interested in order for you to make progress. On of my instructors is a 4* eventer & she strongly believes jumping also has a positive affect on a horse's flatwork as well as vice versa. In summary (to stop my babble)
1. don't give up
2. get a new, experienced instructor & explain exactly how you feel (I got mine from the BD/BE website & although expensive, they are amazing!)
3. Vary your horse's programme of work - make things interesting for you both.
Hope things work out
ooo.gif