How much should I budget for a horse like this?

showjumpergirl

Visit site
I haven't had to buy a horse in so long that I'm a bit out of the loop but I'm potentially looking at buying a young horse in the spring. I want a 4 year old that'll mature at about 16.1hh, with the scope to eventually jump Foxhunters (so 1.20m with a 1.30m jump off potentially). How much would you expect to pay for a horse like this? Some seem to be really expensive but I don't need a world beating pro's horse. I've found my current horse's ceiling and want to make sure the limiting factor on the next one is my riding instead!

Also, where would you look to find a horse like this? We were thinking of going over to Ireland to the sales with my trainer but maybe that's not such a great idea what with the exchange rate. Would you recommend any sales in particular? Or would it be best to go to a dealer? I will sit down and discuss this with my trainer but I can't do that for a couple of weeks and I'm itching to know if I'm asking too much.

SusieT

Visit site
if you get it before anyone can see talent, 4-5k? if it shows a good pop the sky is the limit.. easily 6-10k +

Shay

Visit site
The problem is that at 4 it is such a gamble. You could probably predict height more or less - but they are too young to show what they might be able to do correctly schooled. If they show natural talent the price will rocket - if they don't the price will stay down but the gamble go up. Plus of course all the risks of bringing something on yourself. Even pros buy young horses hoping to make something of them and not get there.

Any reason why you would not be looking for a 6/7 yr old who has shown what it is going to be capable of?

showjumpergirl

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Susie T - that's in line with what I was thinking, I'm glad I wasn't too far off the mark. Really I only want to spend 4-5k, that's why I'm not looking at something older, the cost will skyrocket. Plus I enjoy bringing babies on. Realistically I might never want to go higher than Newcomers though so hopefully that'll give me a bit of wriggle room, but I'd love to have the extra scope just in case I find my brave pants.

onemoretime

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Susie T - that's in line with what I was thinking, I'm glad I wasn't too far off the mark. Really I only want to spend 4-5k, that's why I'm not looking at something older, the cost will skyrocket. Plus I enjoy bringing babies on. Realistically I might never want to go higher than Newcomers though so hopefully that'll give me a bit of wriggle room, but I'd love to have the extra scope just in case I find my brave pants.
Have a look at Irish Horse Imports, David White has a good reputation and the horse I have now originally came from him and he is a lovely boy.

spacefaer

Visit site
Try VNM Sporthorses - not a million miles from you in Shropshire. They have a field full of homebred youngsters - all show jump bred - you take your pick!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
TBH pretty much any horse with correct training can jump newc. Fox and above start to require a bit of natural talent. 1.40m plus needs a bucketful.

charterline

Visit site
im not overly sure on "baby" horse prices, but as a general rule of thumb, if you fad something around 7, that had jumped a couple of times at that height, and was an easy amateur horse, I wouldn't expect much change out of £15k

eggs

Visit site
I tend to think that you can easily pay more for an unproven 4 year old with potential than for a proven 8 year old that is pretty much maxed out at Foxhunter.