How much time for poo picking?

chaps89

Visit site
If the groom is full time and it’s just 4 horses living out 24/7 they are in charge of then they should more than have time for poo picking imho.
A yard I work at has a vacuum that attaches to the quad and is operated by one person. The fields are quite large so it is quicker than going round with a barrow, especially as there doesn’t have to be so many trips back and forth to the muck heap.

Connie7373

Visit site
What are the daily tasks that she has to do? Is she the sole employee for the horses?

So much of what can reasonably be achieved by one person is determined by how much they actually have to do in however many hours.

You can get vacuums that are operated by one person.

Thank you

Yes sole employee. Keeping yard area clean etc, rotating/putting up electric tape, cleaning equipment, 2 horses ridden/exercised daily, the other two not just bringing in daily and general care.

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you

Yes sole employee. Keeping yard area clean etc, rotating/putting up electric tape, cleaning equipment, 2 horses ridden/exercised daily, the other two not just bringing in daily and general care.

To be honest, if they can’t have the yard and horses gleaming on full time hours with just 4 to care for and 2 to ride you might be better off getting someone else.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My RDA group got a poo vacuum due to the requests of the volunteer helpers.

Within a month it was up for sale as they decided it was both quicker and easier to stick to barrows and poo scoops.

Arzada

Visit site
Thank you

How many hours per day? And does any one else poo pick on the groom's days off?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would reckon an average 15 mins per animal per day for poo picking, plus a little longer if barrowing to a distant heap.
My 2 (one is v small, but the walking around still has to be done) take me a total of 10 to 12 mins twice a day. I do twice daily as much easier for my back, plus it's not a huge hardship if I do miss a session.

Put it to the groom that poo picking the field daily, even once a day would be around the same time as mucking them all out once a day, without the additional skipping out during the day. (4 would take me around an hour when I'm up to speed) plus she hasn't got nets, water and regular yard sweeping to do.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Thank you

There are plenty of us on here who do/have done that level of work around a full time office job, week in, week out. A full time groom should be doing it to a higher standard, and in 40hrs/wk would be able to keep equipment and facilities immaculate at all times; I really can't see why they are struggling to fit in keeping the fields mucked out. I would be expecting them to be doing it at least twice a day and taking approx 20-40 mins a time (depending on the length of the grass, distance to the muck heap and whether the ponies use a limited number of toilet areas or not).

Could you get them to write down exactly what they are doing every day, and how long they are spending on each job? That should help you either be able to show them how to manage their time better, identify when they may be wasting time, or highlight to them that they aren't working in the most efficient way.

SilverLinings

Visit site
As above, I do that around a job and 2 children to care for. It most certainly doesn’t take full time hours to care for 4 horses!!

I'd love the luxury of a groom if I could afford it, but with that number of hours/horses I would expect everything to be sparklingly clean at all times, and the horses to be cared for like royalty. It should be the ideal situation from the horses' POV in terms of the amount of time devoted to them :)

Connie7373

Visit site
There are plenty of us on here who do/have done that level of work around a full time office job, week in, week out. A full time groom should be doing it to a higher standard, and in 40hrs/wk would be able to keep equipment and facilities immaculate at all times; I really can't see why they are struggling to fit in keeping the fields mucked out. I would be expecting them to be doing it at least twice a day and taking approx 20-40 mins a time (depending on the length of the grass, distance to the muck heap and whether the ponies use a limited number of toilet areas or not).

Could you get them to write down exactly what they are doing every day, and how long they are spending on each job? That should help you either be able to show them how to manage their time better, identify when they may be wasting time, or highlight to them that they aren't working in the most efficient way.

Yes that’s what I’m going to do, as I think there must be time management issues or something. Been difficult to understand as I’ve not been around. But yes will definitely be doing this over the next few weeks.

Thank you

teapot

Visit site
In a previous life we tried a mechanical process for poo picking 50 acres with horses out 24/7, we very quickly went back to a rake, scoop, and atv approach.

Re time spent doing jobs, I did an evening yard shift once because boss couldn’t understand why staff were taking ‘too long’ doing certain tasks. Took me all of five mins to realise where/why they were both taking the mic over some jobs, but not having enough time to do others (like turnout times, or layout of yard when it comes to effective mucking out). Worth a chat perhaps?

chaps89

Visit site
In a previous life we tried a mechanical process for poo picking 50 acres with horses out 24/7, we very quickly went back to a rake, scoop, and atv approach.

Re time spent doing jobs, I did an evening yard shift once because boss couldn’t understand why staff were taking ‘too long’ doing certain tasks. Took me all of five mins to realise where/why they were both taking the mic over some jobs, but not having enough time to do others (like turnout times, or layout of yard when it comes to effective mucking out). Worth a chat perhaps?

I agree with this - I’ve covered a yard this week that is just not set up for being speedy - fields are all miles away, things like waters have to be scrubbed and refreshed daily (and are again miles from a tap) 3 different feed rooms etc etc. just little things that make the job take longer.
That said, at full time hours even if the yard has the most impractical set up, for the amount of work this shouldn’t be an issue!
It’s the kind of yard job I’d love to have and could almost tempt me to give up the proper day job ?

Connie7373

Visit site
I agree with this - I’ve covered a yard this week that is just not set up for being speedy - fields are all miles away, things like waters have to be scrubbed and refreshed daily (and are again miles from a tap) 3 different feed rooms etc etc. just little things that make the job take longer.
That said, at full time hours even if the yard has the most impractical set up, for the amount of work this shouldn’t be an issue!
It’s the kind of yard job I’d love to have and could almost tempt me to give up the proper day job ?

Automatic water in field and stable, stables are all 10 meters from the paddock gate and tack room in between stables!

Connie7373

Visit site

Yes. Definitely having a chat...I think a breakdown of time spent on each task is necessary.

SmallPony

Visit site
Yes. Definitely having a chat...I think a breakdown of time spent on each task is necessary.

Might also be worth gently asking if they are OK in themselves - maybe they have something going on in their personal life that is taking its toll on them and its showing in their work. It sounds like it could potentially be quite a lonely job if they are working alone day in day out too. It might just be laziness, but there might also be a very good reason and I think you will show yourself to be a good and fair boss if you give them an opportunity to talk or share that with you.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Now you have updated, the groom is not doing the job they are paid to do. If they are the type to grow lazy when not supervised, then I think they won't change, sorry.

Employment law is such that it isn't easy to get rid of dead wood, especially if it is their home too. TBH, I would start with CCTV, as a way to keep in contact with what is happening at home whilst away. I'm betting there is a lot of coffee drunk, phone being looked at etc. I would be interested in the quality of exercise that the horses were getting too. Do they get a quick spin rather than constructive work?

Sounds like it could be a perfect job for someone.

Some people feel hard done to even when things are relatively easy. I would make a timetable for her to stick to. Then use the CCTV to make sure she is.

ETA- I would also start to research how to get rid of someone who isn't able/willing to do the job. Isn't it something like informal warning and two written ones? What contract of employment does she have?

I don't envy you, I would never want to be an employer. People think you owe them, even if they don't do the work.

Did she know you were coming home that day? I wonder if she was just 'caught out' and the whole needing a poo hoover is a cover. Seems the most likely reason. I would photo and document the poor state of the fields whilst they were in her care, along with the steps you are taking to ensure the work is within reasonable request in the time territory. Give a warning, fit CCTV and see if she takes enough liberties to have the second warning.

Last edited:

Connie7373

Visit site
Now you have updated, the groom is not doing the job they are paid to do. If they are the type to grow lazy when not supervised, then I think they won't change, sorry.

Employment law is such that it isn't easy to get rid of dead wood, especially if it is their home too. TBH, I would start with CCTV, as a way to keep in contact with what is happening at home whilst away. I'm betting there is a lot of coffee drunk, phone being looked at etc. I would be interested in the quality of exercise that the horses were getting too. Do they get a quick spin rather than constructive work?

Sounds like it could be a perfect job for someone.

Some people feel hard done to even when things are relatively easy. I would make a timetable for her to stick to. Then use the CCTV to make sure she is.

ETA- I would also start to research how to get rid of someone who isn't able/willing to do the job. Isn't it something like informal warning and two written ones? What contract of employment does she have?

I don't envy you, I would never want to be an employer. People think you owe them, even if they don't do the work.

Did she know you were coming home that day? I wonder if she was just 'caught out' and the whole needing a poo hoover is a cover. Seems the most likely reason. I would photo and document the poor state of the fields whilst they were in her care, along with the steps you are taking to ensure the work is within reasonable request in the time territory. Give a warning, fit CCTV and see if she takes enough liberties to have the second warning.

Thank you.

Knew I was coming! Been too busy they said..

I am going to get cameras up and give a timetable of work as you say.

Good idea to photograph the paddocks now too I will do that.

And a written warning to keep paddocks clean happening tomorrow.

It is a nightmare. It’s amazing to have the horses at your home but having to rely on others is so hard - and then livery option is also not always ideal either! Can’t win.

Thank you.

Connie7373

Visit site
Might also be worth gently asking if they are OK in themselves - maybe they have something going on in their personal life that is taking its toll on them and its showing in their work. It sounds like it could potentially be quite a lonely job if they are working alone day in day out too. It might just be laziness, but there might also be a very good reason and I think you will show yourself to be a good and fair boss if you give them an opportunity to talk or share that with you.

I accommodate their partner in the accommodation too who does not work for me, works from home, so not completely alone all day.

But yes always good to ask if all ok.

chaps89

Visit site
As a side note, if the field’s bad from not having been kept on top of, might it be an option to have it harrowed to start again and poo pick from then?

Another thought, who is doing the horses on her day/s off? If they’re not poo picking, then that would be quite a lot for her to have to catch up on on her return in fairness.

Connie7373

Visit site
As a side note, if the field’s bad from not having been kept on top of, might it be an option to have it harrowed to start again and poo pick from then?

Another thought, who is doing the horses on her day/s off? If they’re not poo picking, then that would be quite a lot for her to have to catch up on on her return in fairness.

I’m having extra hands here this week to get it all cleared.

The non horsey help that we have will do it on Sundays to keep on top of it.and me when I’m here. When that doesn’t happen I will allocate more time on a Monday!

Thank you.