How much to charge - sharer

vicm2509

Visit site
My best mate has been sharing my horse since I bought him. Shes now pregnant so wont be sharing him for much longer.

Anyway, hes an 8yo 16.3 IDxTB. He has a lovely temp and doesnt put a foot wrong on the ground. He competes at Novice dressage and schooling around elementary level, quite capable of jumping 3ft SJ with right rider. Does not hack alone as he naps.

Sharer is welcome to compete, with comps split equally with me (so half each). I have my own transport.

Hes on DIY livery.

madmav

Visit site
And get everything decided beforehand - costs, jobs etc. What if horse lame? Who cleans tack? It's the minor things that can drive you (or sharer) mad!

vicm2509

Visit site
3-4 days per week, but flexible on this.

On their days they would do everything. I would be happy to do mornings. I clean tack, rugs, get feed etc.

vicm2509

Visit site
It costs me an average of £60 per week, less in summer and more in winter. My current sharer who has been my best mate for 10 years gives me £30 a week, I just wanted to check this is reasonable?

GoJo

Visit site
my sharer pays £100 pcm for 3 days in the week although she could have any days she wants. As far as finding one goes a 100% bombproof HH generates massive interest i found but a "better" more forward going competitive type can't get a sharer at all.
my sharer has no stable duties to do - she just comes and rides him.

lexiedhb

Visit site
I pay £50 pcm for 3 days a week, but can do more days if I want! Im very lucky though as i know most people charge a help of alot more ......... I dont have anymore to be able to pay, but do all yard duties in winter for my share horse AND his owners other horse, and poo pic in summer........ also have brought my shares schooling on leaps and bounds, so its a win win situation!

X

xspiralx

I'd personally say about £20-25 a week, but it depends how much input you are willing to give the sharer. If they are simply a person to ride and help out with chores and money, but without any influence over what he does and when, then I would ask for less than half. On the other hand if you're prepared for them to be moreorless half "owner" [though obviously you'd have the final say] of the horse for the duration of the share then I'd say asking for 50% of his costs is fair.