How much turnout space do you have at livery?

Kenzo

Visit site
We have 10 seperate fields, most of them average between 3 and 7 acres per field, so plenty of space for them to charge about, my two are in a 6 acre field to themselves.

jumpthemoon

Visit site
At our yard most horses are turned out individually. There are two paddocks which have two horses in - these are about 2 - 2.5 acres each. The individual paddocks are mostly about 1 acre each except for YO's paddocks which are about 0.5 acre each. We all manage fine -there is enough room for the horses to have a blast round if they want, enough grass in the summer without them getting fat and with being on mostly individual TO the paddocks don't get too churned up.

TicTac

Visit site
personally and speaking from experience I would say that the bigger the turnout area per horse the better ( not including fatties or lamanitics) especially in winter.

Small area very quickly become trashed or bare and it is no good for the land. My horses have just over an acre each which they graze all year round. It is managed properly in the spring and always recovers from the rigours of winter. My horses go out every day in winter for about 10 hours per day and live out 24/7 in the summer. In the winter they do have a whizz about but the only area to suffer is usually the gateway. We are on clay soil with good drainage. So providing we get rain in the summer the grass always grows. I still have plenty of grass at the moment but hay will be provided once it has been eaten down.

Too many livery yards see pound signs and try to cram too many horses onto small paddocks.