How much weight can an 11.2 welsh pony carry?

Elsiecat

Visit site
I posted a while ago about Welsh Pony being lame.
Vet looked at the cause and advised box rest as running around with the others wasn't allowing her time to heal.
He came back the other week and was extremely pleased with her progress. He said she is now ready to start being re-backed! Also managed to get a bit of weight off her (she was overweight when we got her.) He said she is now virtually bang on with her weight and that given we take it slowly he's confident we'll have no more problems with her 'bad' leg!

Anyway, we got excited and bought her a cub saddle and a bridle.
She accepted the bit very easily which makes me think shes been ridden before.

I've backed a few youngsters so I'm looking forward to getting on her as I think she should be relatively simple. She's a very sturdy and calm little thing.
I've been doing quite a bit of ground work with her and long reigning. Been 'bombproofing' as well. She walked over and under tarpaulin. Past sandbags. Had a walk along the road past cars and lorries etc. Really pleased with her.

Now heres the question, I'm just over 10 stone and 5"6/5"7. Will she be able to hold me?
I'm planning to start by working her up to my weight. By putting sandbags in the saddle just to build her strength up before I get on.
Will she be able to hold me or am I mad? :eek:

be positive

Visit site
She may be able to carry you but you will need a proper saddle, a cub will not really be suitable for an adult, or ride her without one.

ImmyS

Visit site
Tbh even if you we're lighter, height is more of an issue. I'm about your height and weigh the same and I ride a fine 16.2 tb and feel just about right. The smallest I would ever ride now is probably a stocky or well muscled 14hh. I think you riding a 11.2 isn't right if I'm honest.

fizzer

Visit site
I had an 11.2HH Welsh gymkana pony when I was 18 and was always worried I was too heavy I was 9st. My vets advice was he could carry upto 9.5 st.

Elsiecat

Visit site
She may be able to carry you but you will need a proper saddle, a cub will not really be suitable for an adult, or ride her without one.

I'm not planning to get in the saddle don't worry!!! I was planning to ride her bareback but to do quite a bit of leading her about with the saddle with sandbags in so she was used to the weight in the saddle! By bum couldn't fit in it :D

Lissa

Visit site
I think she will probably be ok with you. I rode two little welshes who were just backed and about 11/11.2hh when I was 5ft7 and around 9.5stone. Both of them coped fine.

Loved it though both were great little ponies. Rode a 12hh last year as well at nearer 5ft9 and 10stone he coped fine as well.

Especially if you use sandbags or something to get her used to carrying the weight first.

Last edited:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Tbh even if you we're lighter, height is more of an issue. I'm about your height and weigh the same and I ride a fine 16.2 tb and feel just about right. The smallest I would ever ride now is probably a stocky or well muscled 14hh. I think you riding a 11.2 isn't right if I'm honest.

I used to ride a 13hh horse quite a bit and felt fine!

Maybe I'll have to find a small jockey for her if I don't sit right :(

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think she will probably be ok with you. I rode two little welshes who were just backed and about 11/11.2hh when I was 5ft7 and around 9.5stone. Both of them coped fine.

Loved it though both were great little ponies. Rode a 12hh last year as well at nearer 5ft9 and 10stone he coped fine as well.

Especially if you use sandbags or something to get her used to carrying the weight first.

Do you think I'm best losing a little weight? I'm not that worried about my height as I used to ride a 13hh pony and didnt feel too bad at all!
Might build her up with sandbags and then get on and see how she copes. If it doesn't work I'll get off and then if it does work, great!

Lissa

Visit site
I think she'd probably be fine with you at the weight you are, my friend rode the two ponies as well and although she was shorter than me she weighed probably around 10stone or just over, they coped fine with her as well.

Height wise I do find it slightly harder riding really small ones now as have grown since then, smallest I would ride now at going on 5ft10ish would be 12.2 if it was stocky or 13hh. Love ponys though hence why mine are 14.2 and 14.1

Especially if you build it up with sandbags so that you can see her leg is ok. Like you said you can easily get off if you think she can't manage.

Last edited:

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think she'd probably be fine with you at the weight you are, my friend rode the two ponies as well and although she was shorter than me she weighed probably around 10stone or just over, they coped fine with her as well.

Height wise I do find it slightly harder riding really small ones now as have grown since then, smallest I would ride now at going on 5ft10ish would be 12.2 if it was stocky or 13hh. Love ponys though hence why mine are 14.2 and 14.1

Especially if you build it up with sandbags so that you can see her leg is ok. Like you said you can easily get off if you think she can't manage.

I'm only planning to ride her until she gets back into the swing of things which I don't think is going to take her long. After that a friends 5yo is riding her on a lead rein. Then slowly going to introduce my nephew to riding.

Going to start sandbagging her saddle tomorrow and just take things slowly. :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would say 8 stone max including tack. So you are too heavy IMO. I am ten stone and would not ride my sister's 12.2 section B.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I would say 8 stone max including tack. So you are too heavy IMO. I am ten stone and would not ride my sister's 12.2 section B.

You're probably right I really can't decide.
Going to build her up with sandbags and then see what comes. If I get on and she isn't happy I'll get straight back off again. No harm in trying!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sorry, I think that's too much. Height wise you could probably get away with it for exercising one that size, but for backing I think the height is an issue too. Find a tiny teen or decent kid to back it. Or, depending why you're backing, if its just to give her a job you could break to drive instead.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Sorry, I think that's too much. Height wise you could probably get away with it for exercising one that size, but for backing I think the height is an issue too. Find a tiny teen or decent kid to back it. Or, depending why you're backing, if its just to give her a job you could break to drive instead.

Going to see how she goes with sandbags! Not going to do anymore with her than she can cope with. I was just asking in general how peoples 11.2s can carry! Obviously some less, others more.
Will see what comes and if I am too much (which its looking like I probably will be) I'll find a good small person! :D

Slightly Foxed

Visit site

Erm, did you grow 2 inches in one year???

Kokopelli

Visit site
There is a big difference between 11.2 and 13hh.

At 5ft and 7st something I have backed a few poniec as small as 11.2 and felt anything bigger would have thrown the pony off balance and would have been to heavy, at least until they've built muscle.

I like the idea of sandbags though, do you know any small people local who can do it?

Elsiecat

Visit site
There is a big difference between 11.2 and 13hh.

At 5ft and 7st something I have backed a few poniec as small as 11.2 and felt anything bigger would have thrown the pony off balance and would have been to heavy, at least until they've built muscle.

I like the idea of sandbags though, do you know any small people local who can do it?

No one that I know enough to trust to do it!
Not lived around here long.

It'll be a good 3/4 weeks before I want someone on her anyway because I want to take it slowly with sandbags as I said earlier. I'll have a quick go at the point I want to start backing her and if it's fine I'll do it. If not it's back to the drawing board and I'll have to find someone!
Will go on a bit of a diet too! :D

I lent on her earlier just to see her reaction and she barely flinched a muscle. (Although she might've been trying to protect my feelings :eek:)

Not going to do anything that's too much for her. Just going to bide my time with her :)

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
In my opinion it depends on the age and build of the pony and how much and the quality of bone a good flat bone and plenty of it on an older pony who was prepared well with muscling exercise and not overweight would easily carry you they were originally bred for men to round up sheep so an oldfashioned type should be fine it is the skinny legged underdeveloped pony may struggle and I certainly wouldnt ride anything younger than 6 at your size

Elsiecat

Visit site
In my opinion it depends on the age and build of the pony and how much and the quality of bone a good flat bone and plenty of it on an older pony who was prepared well with muscling exercise and not overweight would easily carry you they were originally bred for men to round up sheep so an oldfashioned type should be fine it is the skinny legged underdeveloped pony may struggle and I certainly wouldnt ride anything younger than 6 at your size

She's the well built type. Not gangly at all!
She's still got a bit of weight to lose but I'm sure with the extra work it'll start coming off faster. Her legs aren't the toothpick variety :)

We have no idea of her definite age. We were told 16ish by the owner but the vet shuck his head at this and said 10/11 maximum in his opinion. So you're guess is as good as mine. Definitely over 6. To be honest I think her passports been mixed up at some point..

Mondy

Visit site
Yes, you are far too large for an 11.2. In Denmark and Germany, rule of thumb is that a horse/pony should carry no more than 20% of its own bodyweight. Note that this 20% includes you, clothes, saddle...

Brigadoon

Visit site
Your def too big. An 11.2...I would say no more than 7 stone.
Sandbags sound a grand idea 'til you can find someone small enough.
Good luck xx

rara007

Visit site
If its a very full up chunky 11.2 you'd be fine, and probably within the 20%. People bigger. I ride a 12hh chunk but won't ride our 11.2 who's also solid but wither high and very short backed so actually a much smaller pony.
IMG_2359.jpg

I weigh in at around 11 stone inc. tack, though 5'4 and he's 12hh.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I posted a while ago about Welsh Pony being lame.
Vet looked at the cause and advised box rest as running around with the others wasn't allowing her time to heal.
He came back the other week and was extremely pleased with her progress. He said she is now ready to start being re-backed! Also managed to get a bit of weight off her (she was overweight when we got her.) He said she is now virtually bang on with her weight and that given we take it slowly he's confident we'll have no more problems with her 'bad' leg!

Anyway, we got excited and bought her a cub saddle and a bridle.
She accepted the bit very easily which makes me think shes been ridden before.

I've backed a few youngsters so I'm looking forward to getting on her as I think she should be relatively simple. She's a very sturdy and calm little thing.
I've been doing quite a bit of ground work with her and long reigning. Been 'bombproofing' as well. She walked over and under tarpaulin. Past sandbags. Had a walk along the road past cars and lorries etc. Really pleased with her.

Now heres the question, I'm just over 10 stone and 5"6/5"7. Will she be able to hold me?
I'm planning to start by working her up to my weight. By putting sandbags in the saddle just to build her strength up before I get on.
Will she be able to hold me or am I mad? :eek:

my welshie is 12 hh she was broken in by a 10 ish stone guy.

She is hacked out by one of my liveries who is 5 ft 4 and weighs around 9. 1/2 stone.

Its very important ( i know your using a saddle) but if you were that te saddle is not too big to compensate a adult. I use a 14 1/2 inch wintec which is light weight.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Such different views!!!

Rara007 - she's built quite a lot like your little cutie! She's not the thin showy type at all :)

Leviathan - I'm probably being stupid (its early!!) but I really don't understand you're last sentence? :eek:

Elsiecat

Visit site
I've just done the rough 20% thing and it'd make her be able to carry 10.3 stone.. Which is about 10 stone 5 pounds? I think :eek:
So if I'm riding her bareback with just clothes on I'm about right?

Will just have to see, I'm sure she'll tell me either way :p