How much weight do I need to lose...

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Before I can get on board again?

Some background —

I'm 2 months post partum having had an emergency c section. I'm currently about 1 1/2 stone above my pre pregnancy weight of 11 1/2 stone (possibly a bit more after indulging yesterday and today). I'm 5ft 7.

Pony is 14.2 chunky cob although doesn't have as much bone as most cobs of her size/build. She's been out of consistent work for about 6 months. She has minor confirmation issues (pigeon toed) but is sound but currently unfit and under muscled.

I've started walking her out in hand a few times a week - we're in a very hilly area so a good work out for both of us.

Would love to get back on soon but not sure what's the maximum weight she could carry in current condition?

Is going to be at least a month before I get on as need to get saddle fitter and physio check but would welcome thoughts on how much I need to shift - this will help motivate me to lose the weight!!

I've added a photo for reference! She does look much finer in this photo than in real life - she is very chunky?+! IMG_20191226_213927.jpg

Flicker

Visit site
Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your baby, and hope you are recovering well from your C Section. I imagine this must have been enormously stressful for you. It is really important that you look after yourself at this time. Any weight loss programme that you do embark on should be discussed with your GP or health visitor first. Your body has just undergone a pretty massive process, so make sure you are being kind to yourself.

In relation to your weight, general advice is that rider to horse weight ratio, including tack, shouldn‘t be more than 15 to 20 percent. This should give you a good idea of how much your horse can comfortably carry. If your horse is unmuscled, probably the lighter end of that ratio would be more appropriate.

Hope that helps.

holeymoley

Visit site
I think your in hand walking will be doing the both of you good, just to get things going again. You lose a lot of your core muscle after pregnancy so you’ll find you’ll be out of balance too for a bit until things tone back up to normal. I didn’t have a c section so can’t comment on that but I imagine it may take longer to get things back to their usual strength. In terms of weight, as said above. She doesn’t look overly chunky.

rara007

Visit site
A 14.2 cob should be fine for gradual fittenening work with 13 stone. Do you know how much she weighs? Ours is a little shorter (146cm without shoes) but probably chunkier and about 580kg so 13 stone is under 15% with 7kg to spare for tack and clothes. By the time you’ve done a month of walking I’m sure you’ll be good to go. Yours is more pony type but a HW cob is one that carries over 14 stone 7 as per tradition so you’re quite comfortably below that.

Leo Walker

Visit site
A 14.2 cob should be fine for gradual fittenening work with 13 stone. Do you know how much she weighs? Ours is a little shorter (146cm without shoes) but probably chunkier and about 580kg so 13 stone is under 15% with 7kg to spare for tack and clothes. By the time you’ve done a month of walking I’m sure you’ll be good to go. Yours is more pony type but a HW cob is one that carries over 14 stone 7 as per tradition so you’re quite comfortably below that.

Same height but not as chunky as yours and mines 475kg when fit and muscled up, 500lgs fat and unfit.

rara007

Visit site
Sorry derailing the thread on coblet weights :D
He’s in 4XW bespoke saddle a 6’3-6’6 rugs :p The biggest pony there ever was! Most people assume he’s 15hh. A chunky 14.2 is stronger than most ‘horses’. My 15hh welsh D was similar in weight to Bobby. The picture is a few hours before he was weighed last month and he’s never more than casual fit, going fast or far is not his niche :p 6DC22299-79FF-48E9-B41B-D2182C936C82.jpeg

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Unfortunately don't know how much she weighs and I think weight tape inflates her weight as she has a very wide rib cage which makes her look even fatter than she actually is. 29573188_10155247238026356_5813330652232119726_n.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sorry derailing the thread on coblet weights :D
He’s in 4XW bespoke saddle a 6’3-6’6 rugs :p The biggest pony there ever was! Most people assume he’s 15hh. A chunky 14.2 is stronger than most ‘horses’. My 15hh welsh D was similar in weight to Bobby. The picture is a few hours before he was weighed last month and he’s never more than casual fit, going fast or far is not his niche :pView attachment 39878

Yup, def more of him than Bobs! OP I reckon yours falls somewhere between the 2 weight wise. This is mine for comparision, she will have been 475kg here give or take. Shes 14.1hh 5ft9 in rugs and whatever the second widest thorowgood gullet is! Id be ok with 13 stone of experienced and balanced rider on her for short walk hacks.

66390999_10156654697773667_6522615658176315392_n.jpg

MrSmith

Visit site
As well as the usual fitness work, I'd consider putting some time into her core / back strength. Pole work etc. There's a good presentation from the National Equine Forum about the importance of this type of training:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Thanks. I've got a series of stretches that physio gave us and have a equiami for lunging which I'll be introducing soon.

Pole work may need to wait a bit longer until I'm sure I can lift our heavy wooden poles without hurting myself.