How much weight to lose before I can ride

Welshie194

New User
Visit site
Hi, New to the forum so please bear with me. I know this gets asked often, but just looking for advice on how much weight you think I need to lose before riding my pony. She's a 13h Welsh X and quite stocky. She is my step daughters (who doesn't live with us, only every other week) pony, so could do with more exercise in between. Id like to ride her as height wise im fine (only 5'2) but I'm too heavy at the moment. I've lost over a stone so far, but still at 11.5st. How much more should I lost before hand do you think? I obviously don't want to cause her any injury, and also don't want to be that person at the yard that everyone is whispering about! I would be doing light hacking with her. I've added a photo of her. We've only had her a few days, and she has been regularly worked before that, both schooling and jumping so is fit and healthy. She's only 10 years old too.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_145359.jpg
    IMG_20200713_145359.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 84

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Some people say a horse/pony can carry 20% but thats all your tack and your clothes included as well as a rule. So 530kg ratio to your weight at 70kg or 11st as a whole so stand with tack on the scale like a jockey. If you need to know your weight... subtract everything else.

Other use the 15% rule but that tells me you need to be 8st.... heck!

Carrottom

Visit site
I'm not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer. If you are a balanced rider you would probably be okay now for short periods of time. If your daughter is a child you may have a problem with the saddle being too small which would put your weight in the wrong place. Is there a knowledgeable person at the yard you could seek advice from.

HeyMich

Visit site
I suspect that for light hacking she'd probably carry you now, why not give it a try and see how you both feel?

Well done for the weight loss so far!

We have a pony with a similar height/build and he weighs about 350kg, so if you go with the 20% rule, he could carry 70kg (including tack etc). If you are over 11st, then that's around the 70kg mark already... I'd aim to lose another 5-10kg and then give it a go. She'll tell you if she's unhappy! Mind you, maybe wait till she's settled and you know each other a bit better before you try. You want to make her life as easy as possible while she settles in.

Good luck!

Annagain

Visit site
An old Welsh farmer I know insists Welshies can carry a stone a hand for rounding up the sheep on hills all day. I doubt he's accounting for tack too! While I'd be wary about putting 13st on her, I think she'd carry you fine as you are for light hacking. A friend rode her kids' 13hh section B cross at 10.5 stone and he was more than happy to gallop on the beach with her for miles (by that read 'would take off with her on the beach and she couldn't stop him for quite some distance'!). He was much finer than your girl and she's 5'5". I think in some ways extra height makes it more difficult for them as it can unbalance them more.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
An old Welsh farmer I know insists Welshies can carry a stone a hand for rounding up the sheep on hills all day. I doubt he's accounting for tack too! While I'd be wary about putting 13st on her, I think she'd carry you fine as you are for light hacking. A friend rode her kids' 13hh section B cross at 10.5 stone and he was more than happy to gallop on the beach with her for miles (by that read 'would take off with her on the beach and she couldn't stop him for quite some distance'!). He was much finer than your girl and she's 5'5". I think in some ways extra height makes it more difficult for them as it can unbalance them more.

to be fair a mountain farmer threw a light saddle over with no pads and extra fancy stuff

Wishfilly

Visit site
I agree with the others, 11st total would probably be alright for light hacking- but that is with a saddle that fits you and puts your weight in the right place as well! So maybe another stone to go if you have a light saddle, but you'd probably need to be closer to 10st realistically.

Walking her out in hand or long reining might help get you fit/lose some weight too? I know it's a real struggle right now!

In the meantime, if you feel that she needs more work, I am sure you could find a competent teenager who could do a bit of exercising for you!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
OP, well done on your weight loss. I'm following this thread with interest as my parents bought a Welsh X type pony for my nieces and they almost never ride him. He is 13.2 max and I am 5'8" and 11st. I have sat on him twice briefly when I was a little bit heavier and I don't think it was hugely problematic for him, but I have wondered if I should ride him more that I'm a little lighter (although might look a bit out of place at my height). Saddles are an issue though as others have said.

Your pony looks lovely and I hope you have fun with her.

Orangehorse

Visit site

Henry Blake said one of the best hunters he ever had was a 12.2 welsh pony and he was around 11 stone.

OP I reckon if you lost another 7lbs you could start to ride gently. Try to gauge how the pony reacts - bracing, i.e. tensing up when you go to get on, any sort of threat to buck, by tensing the back.

Well done for losing that amount of weight already, another 7lbs would give you not too distant a goal, and then you could aim to lose more and get more exercise riding while doing it.

Mari

Visit site
Some people say a horse/pony can carry 20% but thats all your tack and your clothes included as well as a rule. So 530kg ratio to your weight at 70kg or 11st as a whole so stand with tack on the scale like a jockey. If you need to know your weight... subtract everything else.

Other use the 15% rule but that tells me you need to be 8st.... heck!
The 20% rule applie to a fit horse & a fit rider. So an over weight / unfit pony would need to carry less than 20%.

Nari

Visit site
For all those stating percentages, can we please remember that conformation also plays a huge factor. I will happily ride my 14.1 Welsh D at my current weight, I would not be happy riding a 15.2 tb that was the same weight as him - he is put together to carry weight rather than for speed (though please don't spoil his fun by telling him that!) and carries me comfortably and without showing evidence of problems. He isn't asked to work hard, but then the OP is only talking about light hacking too.

ozpoz

Visit site
The 20% is not a rule at all. The rider weight pilot study by Dr Sue Dyson suggested much lower. And crucially, the saddle should fit both horse and rider. Not every horse can accommodate a saddle that fits a larger rider.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The 20% is not a rule at all. The rider weight pilot study by Dr Sue Dyson suggested much lower. And crucially, the saddle should fit both horse and rider. Not every horse can accommodate a saddle that fits a larger rider.
So how many riders would be riding according to sue ? Is this based on that the racehorse industry ? Surley this should be banned as I don't care if it's 4 stone or 12 no weight should be on 2 year olds backs.
But someone will come on and say tbs are special so it's okay to race them as babies. There is no comparison to a 10.5 stone person plodding a 13.2 and to be honest what are the next generation going to ride. I don't see the population getting smaller. I totally disagree with being cruel to a horse see my 17 stone thread but really we are now shaming folk of 10 to 11 stone.

Nari

Visit site
So how many riders would be riding according to sue ? Is this based on that the racehorse industry ? Surley this should be banned as I don't care if it's 4 stone or 12 no weight should be on 2 year olds backs.
But someone will come on and say tbs are special so it's okay to race them as babies. There is no comparison to a 10.5 stone person plodding a 13.2 and to be honest what are the next generation going to ride. I don't see the population getting smaller. I totally disagree with being cruel to a horse see my 17 stone thread but really we are now shaming folk of 10 to 11 stone.

Certainly very few men would be riding, and even fewer competing at high levels. Interesting when so many top level competition riders are men and few competition are horses are what would be classed as serious weight carriers.

My opinion is that this whole weight issue has got out of hand, that common sense has been abandoned. I suspect there are far more horses nowadays suffering health problems resulting from their own excess weight and lack of activity than there are from riders not falling within a certain %.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Think of the USA where there are pretty heavy riders on quarter horses, and the heavy saddles and the horses will work all day.

Nari

Visit site
Saw this on Facebook the other day. It’s got a few different ways to calculate and obv it’s only a guide. have to say though, I felt like it was coming out as being overly generous ie horse could carry more than I would have thought. views?

https://good-horse.com/tools/calculator-much-weight-can-horse-carry/

On the exact calculation that it's showing me I don't agree. My Welsh D will happily carry more while out walking and out trotting bigger horses, while the weight it says my ID would have carried (21 stone) is a weight I wouldn't put on any horse because I think a rider would struggle to fit in a saddle that fitted a horse or ride in a balanced way.