How much will I need to buy this sort of horse?

maletto

Visit site
Thinking about buying another horse and would like to know how much roughly you guys think I will need to beg/borrow/steal (or more realistically, save!):

6-9 years old
15.2-16.2hh
Gelding
Not bothered about breeding but with decent conformation
Scope to jump 1.10ish and do a decent (low level - up to elem?) dressage test - not bothered about XC as I hate it.
Ideally with some competition experience but not masses of winnings
Sane, sensible and with no vices or complicated health issues
hacks alone/in company
(now I know this is picky but ideally no TBs, coloureds or greys, if that makes a difference)

So - be honest - how much do you reckon this will cost me?

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Visit site
The market is a ll over the place atm. If you want a proven one at that height I'd imagine £5000 mark but you could probably get a nice un-proven horse considerably cheaper. :)

VioletStripe

Visit site
You're looking for pretty much what I am, I'm not bothered with competition experience at all I just want something with potential that I can take out more! I have a budget of UP TO 5-6k, obviously ideally lower, and no higher but everything seems to be seriously overpriced! :eek: xx

Time Tells

Visit site
Good Luck in finding a horse like this ladies...I have been looking for over a year. No Luck, all the best ones are taken and if the odd one pops up, he/she is too far away and adds another grand to overall price in viewing/transportation if I wanted to buy.

It'll be a miracle to find one...bit like hens teeth!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I'd say £6-9k too, I recently purchased my girl with allround potential and paid roughly £5k. I'd also be ready to shift sharpish as what you are looking for is very sought after!

Happy horse hunting :)

boxcarhorse

Visit site
A friend just bought something very similar 7yrs, 16.2hh, middleweight Welsh/TB, although we very limited competition experience for £7k

jrp204

Visit site
I know of a 7 yr, 15/15.1hh gelding, £99not, 279act. Qualified 1m amateur champs out of 18 starters (won class, dc) Won his only BD comp, a nov. Working nov/ele at home. He has been placed in 2 BE's but xc is not really his ball game. Cracking whp, would possibly measure 153. The downside is he is in cornwall, which seems to be the end of the earth when it comes to selling.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've got one of these (although it's TBxWB) who's just started out competitively. He's just turned 6. I'd probably ask about 3.5k for him as he's a bit of a tool on the ground and like I say he's just starting.

So up to 5K for one which isn't a tit and has done a bit more?

Time Tells

Visit site
Well, I have to say I have been looking for a very long time and discovered the price range to be approx £3,400-£4,500. I have seen some very good ones who are priced lower, but they tend not to be so good in traffic, a be spooky or some other minor vice.

I think some/many sellers can and do ask whatever price they like and many are deluted, but the bottom line is 'ones horse is only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay'. In the past I have never ever paid the asking price, always offer lower than what you are prepared to pay, after all you can always come up, but never go down. This applies in reverse to selling tactics too.

Personally I would not pay anymore than £4,000, unless it was unusual, exceptional, or could whistle dixie whilst doing half-passe's!

Essex area generally have a lot for sale, the North always has more on offer than South West.

Good Luck

BigRed

Visit site
So you feel that up to £5k is too much for a healthy, young horse with no health issues, who hacks, has no vices or problems and has been out competing ? I don't think it's OTT. I think it is reasonable.

What price range do you feel is out of touch ?

only_me

Visit site
I know a few like that and they are all 8K plus!!

If you were willing to buy a TB or something that is a bit sharp/not hack alone then you might get something a bit cheaper :)

1.10 is usually a top end riding club horse, which are normally quite highly sought after :)

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I think if you really like the horse, and you understand the possible long term implications, then why shouldn't you go for it! Without seeing the horse, his conformation, his possibilities and also his sarcoids it's really hard for anyone on here to give you an accurate idea of what he's worth, but from the sounds of it, it wont be very much at the moment. I don't think there's going to be people queuing up to buy him.

One major downside that you must consider before buying him is that you will not be able to get veterinary cover for anything which could be related to the sarcoids, so if you do decide to buy him, then you ought to start a savings fund for any future treatments.

Rachelk

Visit site
Id like to see the horses which are advertised like that for £2-3k - Probably wouldnt pass a vetting and are nothing like advertised. If your looking for a nice horse with scope to jump and do a nice dressage test you have got to be looking at £4500 - £6000, Horses arent cheap now a days and getting one which is all the above and clean limbed which would pass a vetting are very few and far between.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
OMG I'VE REPLIED TO THE WRONG THREAD!!!

IGNORE my comment, about 3 posts above - that was intended for the thread about what the horse with the sarcoids is worth. Duh!!!

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I bought my boy last year:
reg ISH
15.3hh
Temp to die for.
Will jump ( but I can't)
Will hack alone ( but i'm too nervy)
Nicely schooled ( when i have time)
Loads himself practically in lorry or trailer
Very sensible at shows / competitions ( Which someone else takes him to )
7 yrs old

I paid £4750 and i'm wondering why when all i want is a happy hacker , I guess i paid over the odds for what i want.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
LOL @ Misinterpereted! :)

I think also, one persons idea of a "nice" horse, is vastly different from anothers. So the people saying different prices might just have different ideas of what's nice or not.

That after all, comes down to the beholder :D

Wolfie

Visit site
For a safe horse that will happy jump you around a 1.10m track and moves well enough to do up to elementary dressage I think you are probably talking at least 4k. As others have said, horses in the height and age bracket you desire that can compete to the level you want are pretty highly sought after. Also, horses seem to be more expensive in England!

Time Tells

Visit site
www.horsequest.uk
ref no: 31549

One of many in this price range. Just keep looking and remember to make an offer, never pay the asking price, sellers always allow for offers and so many add a few hundred more than they expect. Of course there are those who don't, but if you dont ask/offer, you'll never know if you could have got the horse cheaper.

Always ask if the horse comes with his/her wardrobe or tack. If they have a box, ask them to transport within the asking price to your location , depending on where you and they horse is, can be worth a couple of hundred.

Braveheart.jpg

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Interesting what people think comes into the description. I would never have put the above ad into this catagory - its a 15h show horse when OP wanted a 15.2-162 horse that could do 1'10 jumps, which are higher than your lower level affiliated classes, and therefore command a higher price... I s till think over £5k. If you wanted a good all rounder for RC, perhaps £3500, but fir a horse that can work at that level of dressage and jump at that height, plus comformation etc you have to pay more.

ps, no offence meant Time Tells!

Last edited: