How much will I need to buy this sort of horse?

ABC

Visit site
Haha Misinterpreted :D

Umm, I'd say 5k. I have a gelding who I think matches your description and I wouldnt sell him for any less than 5k. I think they are the hardest type of horses to buy, as they are to "make".

I personally would go for a TB any day, they are cheaper too :D

only_me

Visit site
I too wouldnt consider the ad what OP wanted :)

I was thinking more of an ISH as they would generally have the temp that OP wants :)

ihatework

Visit site
www.horsequest.uk
ref no: 31549

One of many in this price range. Just keep looking and remember to make an offer, never pay the asking price, sellers always allow for offers and so many add a few hundred more than they expect. Of course there are those who don't, but if you dont ask/offer, you'll never know if you could have got the horse cheaper.

Always ask if the horse comes with his/her wardrobe or tack. If they have a box, ask them to transport within the asking price to your location , depending on where you and they horse is, can be worth a couple of hundred.

Braveheart.jpg

Nice stamp of horse at a good price, but in no way, shape or form what the OP is wanting!

Time Tells

Visit site
None taken Honey.
Granted people have different opinions, it may not be my cup of tea, but none the less a nice horse. I was merely giving an example.
Here is another one for £3,450,
Horsequest ref no: 31675
Again not what I would want, (but then I don't want anything now at my age which has it's light switched on...errr not a dumb plod either) but there are horses out there that fit the OP's criteria, who are safe and 'can do'.

All I am merely saying is look around. I purchased a 7year old who is a million % safe, been there, done it all, won it all, Pure bred Appaloosa four years ago, when imo the market was far more active for under £3,000. I would not part with her for all the money in the world, but there are those in these hard times, who may have too, so they are out there.

inthemaking-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Visit site
The second advert also doesn't look exactly at what OP is looking for. He doesn't look like he has a natural jump and I think for 1.10 classes where the jump off can go to 1.20 you need a horse with a natural jump.

However it could just be a bad picture.

Time Tells

Visit site
The second advert also doesn't look exactly at what OP is looking for. He doesn't look like he has a natural jump and I think for 1.10 classes where the jump off can go to 1.20 you need a horse with a natural jump.

With respect, if you read the add, he is jumping 1.20. Granted photographs AND ADVERTS, can be misleading....again it was merely an example, to help the OP, give her a positive idea and informed choice.

I was not up-loading them to suggest for one moment this was a suitable horse. It was an example.
But I think by now she will get the message.

ihatework

Visit site

Agreed!
This is where horse buying is so subjective. That bay ISH to me doesn't have a jot of quality and I would only expect it to be 3.5K. It is also very badly advertised.

Aru

Visit site
Come to Ireland :p

Seriously though with the way things have gone here there are some very good horses going for reasonable prices.
Ryanair flight over so a holiday in as well as horse hunting.Even adding 200 to 300 euro for a transporter and the prices are good.

For example...

16.1 ISH
Lovely 16.1H bay gelding Sport Horse. Good all rounder, but excels in Dressage and X-Country. Presently jumping 1M without fuss. Easy to hack, and will lead on ride out. Would ideally suit an intermediate or above rider, geared for competition. No vices.

Price: €2,200

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/2262272

16.1 gelding 7year old.Jumps 110.Has hunted schooled crosscountry.
2850 euro

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/2256790

More expensive

Gelding
came 2nd in novice dressage in Ireland 2010.placed every time out,can jump. no vices etc 6000 euro

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/2113836

Just to give you a idea of the market over here.Plus keep in mind these are asking prices.Haggling down isn't unusual at all.

P.S I dont have any links to any of the above horses.Im just throwing in other options that are not always considered

graciemoo

Visit site
I have 16.3 8 yo chestnut gelding for sale. He is currently competing BD elementary and will go further. Loves to jump - at home jumping 1.05m. Sweet natured horse. Hacks alone or in company and takes confidence from rider, not spooky. Good to load catch shoe clip etc
Reason for selling is that I bought him to go Eventing but he just doesn't enjoy XC at all and means it is a natural element to him. That said he follows anywhere and would make super hunter as good galloper and excellent jumper. Has YouTube channel and loads of photos. Message me if ur interested. Based in North East.

maletto

Visit site
I have 16.3 8 yo chestnut gelding for sale. He is currently competing BD elementary and will go further. Loves to jump - at home jumping 1.05m. Sweet natured horse. Hacks alone or in company and takes confidence from rider, not spooky. Good to load catch shoe clip etc
Reason for selling is that I bought him to go Eventing but he just doesn't enjoy XC at all and means it is a natural element to him. That said he follows anywhere and would make super hunter as good galloper and excellent jumper. Has YouTube channel and loads of photos. Message me if ur interested. Based in North East.

Wow!! did not expect to get this much response!!

so it seems somewhere around the £5-6k mark wouldn't be unreasonable

Graciemoo - I'm hoping this is the sort of horse that will pop up when I really start looking - a horse hoped to be a fantastic eventer but one that's just not quite bold enough xc.

Thanks again all. will have to start saving :rolleyes:

graciemoo

Visit site
Let me know when u are looking properly. I've actually slipped a disc in my back yesterday so have postponed his advertising on the web (horse quest) so he may still be around he is slightly over the 5-6 mark but his talent and record proves this and that he is still a great bargain. His home is my priority as if the xc worked out he would in no way be for sale. Some days I'm still in two minds as to whether to change my interest to dressage/show jumping/CT....
Let me know anyway

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've got a friends horse to school at the moment - it's for sale. Think she only wants about £3k for it. 6yo - evented successfully as a 4yo but not done much except hacking and general training events since. Really nice horse I have to say and sensible for a green 6yo. It'll easily pop 1.10m classes and do a nice test. PM me for details if interested ;)

But generally, I'd say you could find something at about the £3k - £3.5k mark.

Puzzled

Visit site
Have something very similar but a mare! Outstanding temperament,easy ride, very talented and real event potential, want £5950 for her.

SO1

Visit site
I would say at least 5k as it the prime age and also the sort of horse pony clubbers are looking for as well as riding club people especially if you want one that is not a TB and has competition experience.

Its Not Magic

Visit site
Having looked for a horse with the same criteria for six months, imo the prices can very depending on what part of the country you look. I also think sellers price horses based on their knowledge of their own horse as during my search I found many identical breeds, age, sex and ability all at majorly different prices. This could be down to their financial circumstances.

But I finally found a beauty which does fit the description and ability you seek. At 7 years she is just so talented all for an amazing £3.725. I found quite a few within the price range of £3,000 - £4,250, having said that there are also quite a few priced far higher who were not even proven. Down to the seller I guess, or was I just lucky!

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I have a mare who is a bit of a diamond in the rough and probably needs the rest of this year to cement her basic education as she had a bit of a rough start - she is way below your budget and her saddle is included in her price - if you are interested please pm me

natalia

Visit site
I think 6k is a very fair price. My horse I have just bought for myself was advertised for 10k, coloured 9 yr old jumping 1.20 lots of winnings at 1.10, schooled to elementry dressage and has hunted, he weaves when stressed and can be a bit quirky. Well worth the money though as since i've had him i've been placed every time out showing and bsja and am having a lot of fun. If a horse jumps a 1.10 track well and carefully plus will do a good dressage test you should be paying AT LEAST 6k. £3500 will buy you not very much.