How much would it cost to ship a horse to NZ?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
A friend is considering emigrating, and he's asked me how much it would cost if he wanted to take his horse with him?
He's thinking of New Zealand primarily, but is also considering Canada.
Any ideas?
S :D

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A friend went to Australia from the UK 3 yrs ago & was contemplating taking her 2 OAP's with her. After finding out that it would cost her just over £5k each or thereabouts, she decided against the pipedream. Left them with her sister. (just as well or I'd have bashed her one!)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
TBH Shils, I dont know.
Have sent 2 ponies to Oz about 15 yrs ago, as requested, & they arrived safely & well, but I've never travelled down under myself :(

Have flown with a number of bloodstock over to US on a number of occasions in the 80's & honestly never had a problem (except once & thats another story :rolleyes: suffice to say it went on crated & came off immobile crated :( ).
Usually horses are very accepting - and when being travelled such a distance they are SO well looked after.

imr

Visit site
I paid about 4k to take mine to the UAE. Would expect NZ to be more as its further. The jet pallets are stalled for three so you need to find a sharer or it will be astronomcal, but the shippers will do this. I took mine with BBA shipping and I'm sure they can give your friend an idea of costs, quarantine, jabs etc.

Business

Visit site
Friends have taken horses from NZ to UK and back to NZ - about £8,000 per horse five years ago one way (UK to NZ). They wont take anything over 20 yrs without extra paperwork as the risk of death in older horses is much higher I am told. For the same trip in the early 90's it was £5000 per horse- I was thinking of going if that's any guide to inflation.

Last edited:

LissyBear

Visit site
A colleague of mine was recently looking into shipping his horses in from NZ to uk. It was going to cost £8k per horse however because it was coming from NZ it would not need quarantine going the other way it would and this will increase costs. About 5 years ago I looked into going back to Australian and it was going to cost me £6k per horse all in.

Business

Visit site
Yes NZ insist on quarantine on arrival and that pushes the price up. A different friend took a stallion to NZ, it was ill in quarantine so was kept longer and her costs went through the roof.

dapplepink

Visit site
Some friends recently moved to Australia and were quoted £12k, however they were told that it would be around £7k inc quarantine if they could split the container with someone else. Unfortunately they couldn't find anyone to share so left the horse here where its now up for sale.

clopper

Visit site
Just brought 2 from uk to US not much change left over from 20k that was everything all paperwork, quarentine roadntransport.

They travelled very well and were well cared for throughout, I was kept informed of their wellbeing all the time, really impressed with service. Parkers arranged, very helpful & professional.