How much would this annoy you? Am I overreacting? :\

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Someone please give me a slap round the face, because I'm still fuming from last night.

Scenario. I have a 4yo Arab, unbroken. I've spent the past (nearly) 3mths doing groundwork with him, getting him used to tack, rider weight, scary stuff, backing him and taking things slowly. He's picked it all up really quickly, and he's thrived on the work. Having said that, he only turned 4 at the end of May, so we've not rushed anything. Up until last night, the most he'd done is a bit of bareback to and from the field at walk, a couple of strides of trot here and there, and he'd been walked round the school once (literally once round on one rein, once round on the other, and back out).

I had a very close friend come up to see him yesterday, who'd accompanied me to the viewing when I was looking to buy said horse. She's been in horses for years, she's experienced. I told her I'd take him in the school so she could see how far he's come on and how good his attitude is, the idea being maybe 10mins tops. I walked him round, did a short trot down the long side on both reins, and he was golden. Really pleased with him. Friend asks if she can get on him, I agree, she knows exactly how much he's done.

So she gets on, wanders round for a couple of minutes, then pushes him into trot. I warn her again that he hasn't done much, I don't want him doing too much, and this is his first time really ever doing anything in a school. What does she do? Pushes him on more, gives him a boot in the ribs and shouts "we're going for canter!!". In fairness to him, he did it, but threw an almighty buck in the process and nearly decked her, she pulled him back up and claimed "well at least he came back to me!".

Having my last youngster hit confidence issues about 3mths after breaking, I was really keen not to push the new boy, take it all at his pace, and make sure he's 100% happy with what we're doing before progressing. Said friend knows what I went through with him, the fact I sorted it out but it took a damn long time. I wanted to get new boy happy at walk and trot, and hacking out before even debating canter.

Would you be angry?? I'm fully seething, but when I explain it people tell me I'm being silly. Thoughts, please?!

Last edited:

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
yes I would be too! Don't let anyone ride him again :) or until your happy he's a at a steady, established stage.

I wouldn't dare do something like that on someone elses horse!!!!

MissMoo

Visit site
You don't need a slap, if I were in your position I would be livid and extremely upset at the same time. As Thoroughbredstar says, I wouldn't dream of doing that on someone else's horse, totally disrespectful.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Ditto Amymay. I've brought my youngster on in a similar way to you. She's also 4, done short walking hacks, very little trot, lots of groundwork and in hand showing to allow her to mature steadily and I'd be furious if someone got on her and yee-haad about like that! What was she thinking?!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Doesn't sound much like a friend to me not that experienced with youngsters - did she give any explanation for her behaviour?
Probably not much you can do about it now but next time she says can I have a go the answer is NO because you did more than I was happy with last time.

Alphamare

Visit site
That's disgusting behaviour. You told her to ease up and the went for canter. She nearly got hurt and she could have ruined your horse. What a birch!

A friend of mine had a little sit on my youngster early this year. He had just come back from being turned away. I didn't even have to tell her because she asked what I was happy with her doing on him!

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
Doesn't sound much like a friend to me not that experienced with youngsters - did she give any explanation for her behaviour?
Probably not much you can do about it now but next time she says can I have a go the answer is NO because you did more than I was happy with last time.

Probably that she thought she was the "dogs gonads!" ;p

ShadowFlame

Visit site

She's got a good 10yrs more than me in the horsey world. She's backed and broken at least 3. Ordinarily, I wouldn't allow anyone on a youngster, but as she was such a good friend(?!) I made an exception.

If the horse failed to deck her, I'd have decked her myself.

I don't think I've ever been so close to punching someone square in the face. For reference, I tried to stay cool, I told her exactly what she'd done though. She claimed she didn't know what happened, he wanted to go, he "took off". Stupid cow shouted out that she was going for canter before she did it. ARGH!!

Glad others out there agree, feel a little more justified in my "hot-headedness"!!

justabob

Visit site
Not over reacting at all, I would be furious. Saying that I would doubt any harm has come to your horse, just continue to follow your own plan and put it down to experience. It sounds like you are doing a good job.

Tink_87

Visit site
To be fair though, anyone can 'back' or 'break in' a horse. Doesn't mean they're any good at it or have a clue as to what they're doing.
Hope your neddies ordeal hasn't put him back. x

hackedoff

Visit site
You are right to be very angry. Your 'friend' sounds a right idiot. Ten years horsey experience is only worth while if it is experience that some one has learnt wisely from...

_GG_

Visit site
Experience and knowledge are two very different things. She may have 10 years more experience, but clearly you are far more knowledgeable.

If that were my friend, I probably wouldn't have said much at the time for not wanting to stress my youngster out any more. But something would most definitely have been said at a later date, along with possibly not ever taking any advice off her again.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I am furious for you. Absolutely seething. I'd have told her to get off immediately and ask her to leave. Honestly I would be FURIOUS.

Disrespectful, inappropriate and what an idiot she must be!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Someone please give me a slap round the face, because I'm still fuming from last night.

I had a very close friend come up to see him yesterday, who'd accompanied me to the viewing when I was looking to buy said horse. She's been in horses for years, she's experienced.

Your friend was on an ego trip, to show you how well she could ride a bareback horse in canter. Credit to your boy for not chucking her off. He'll be fine. He sounds sensible enough to realise it's just one of the many stupid things which humans do with horses. Enjoy him.

3OldPonies

Visit site
OP - it's her that needs a good slap not you - how dare she treat your horse like that. You need to tell her pretty sharply what you think of how she behaved.

Hoopsa

Visit site
Not over reacting at all! Do make sure you tell this 'friend' how much time you now have to spend re-establishing the good relationship you had with your horse. I really hope that all your previous excellent groundwork means that your horse soon forgets the actions of this person.
And I'd cross her off my Christmas card list!
Good luck. I hope all goes well.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Something similar happened to me earlier this year Friend laid across my rising 3yo while he was tied up, (he had done nothing except be a baby up to that point) then she sat up on him, he was furious and broke is headcollar. She was showing off. She is no longer my friend.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Thanks all. Reassured me that I'm not the one being unreasonable here.

Not over reacting at all! Do make sure you tell this 'friend' how much time you now have to spend re-establishing the good relationship you had with your horse. I really hope that all your previous excellent groundwork means that your horse soon forgets the actions of this person.
And I'd cross her off my Christmas card list!
Good luck. I hope all goes well.

I made a point of getting on him again tonight and just walking him round. He wasn't naughty, but he wasn't as chilled either. Not sure I want to speak to her again after that, let alone send her a bloody christmas card.