How much would you charge?

twiggy2

Visit site
to provide full care for 2 horses stabled at night for 7 nights, if you were asked out of the blue with 2 weeks notice as owners want to book a last minute holiday, yard is 4 miles from your home

in south east essex

Last edited:

WandaMare

Visit site
Depends on the intricacies of their routine but I would charge about £25 a day, assuming 1 hour in the morning and same in the evening.

If they need a lunch time visit to bring in early etc. I would charge an extra £5 a day.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd work out how long it would take (inc travel time) - quite a few variables - rug changes, deep straw bed or easy wood pellets, length of walk to field, poo picking, riding, late night check etc. then I would charge £10 an hour.

I'd guess three visits (turn out, muck out etc, early am, then get in 4/5pm, then late night skip out and check) so probably £25 a day ish.

pippixox

Visit site
i get paid £20 a day when i go to a private yard near me to do 2 horses- £5 to turn out, £5 bring in and £10 to muck them both out. i also change rugs, make feeds, boots on and off, sweep yard. so agree with £140. i'm not expected to do a 3rd late night check.

Lamb-Ski

Visit site
You do need to take into account the fact that with two visits a day you will be driving over 100 miles so do factor the time spent travelling and cost of fuel. What happens if it snows or everything freezes up as that would make the routine jobs take longer. For comparison my friend's puppy (12 weeks old) went to doggy day-care for one night. This cost £11!!! No mucking out, filling nets, changing rugs or trudging through mud. Don't be afraid to charge your worth just because the people are booking a cheap, late deal holiday to sunnier climes, no doubt.

jojo5

Visit site
You don't say whether this s a yard on which you provide service generally for these horses. If so, you charge wht you would charge for full livery generally - presumably you have factored fuel into the livery costs you already charge. If you normally provide service the amount of notice given isn't really relevant unless it's very short I.e. 24 hours and even then if they are requesting a service you offer then it shouldn't affect the price.

twiggy2

Visit site
You do need to take into account the fact that with two visits a day you will be driving over 100 miles so do factor the time spent travelling and cost of fuel. What happens if it snows or everything freezes up as that would make the routine jobs take longer. For comparison my friend's puppy (12 weeks old) went to doggy day-care for one night. This cost £11!!! No mucking out, filling nets, changing rugs or trudging through mud. Don't be afraid to charge your worth just because the people are booking a cheap, late deal holiday to sunnier climes, no doubt.

they wont be booking a cheap holiday, the kids are at private school, they own the yard fields and hall they live in, not that that makes me charge more but it does stop me charging less (if that makes sense), 3 visits per day will cost me £5 per day in fuel- I never go in that direction, need to meet up with her and discuss what they want done.

twiggy2

Visit site
You don't say whether this s a yard on which you provide service generally for these horses. If so, you charge wht you would charge for full livery generally - presumably you have factored fuel into the livery costs you already charge. If you normally provide service the amount of notice given isn't really relevant unless it's very short I.e. 24 hours and even then if they are requesting a service you offer then it shouldn't affect the price.

never looked after these horses before, they own the yard and just keep their 2 there, they know the lady I work for and are not where I keep mine. if they were where I keep mine and 'regulars' then I have my prices regardless of notice up to 24hrs before needed after that I don't promise the I can do them but in an emergency will make sure essentials are done , I only do friends horses where I keep mine now as I got fed up with chasing people for money or only being asked to do horses when they were badly behaved-and people not wanting to pay for the time needed to get them on the right track.