How much would you pay for a 19yo horse?

SO1

Visit site
My 19 year old who I have had since 5 had to have 4 fillings when he was 17 and has always had regular dentistry.

I must have been very lucky then, only one of the veterans i have had (and i have had many) have needed anything other than the standard 6 month checks and rasping. The one that did is my current lad who fractured a tooth.

Only one of my veterans has ever needed a hay replacer and he was 30 By the time he needed it. Lenny (my young small hunter) cost as mich if not more to keep weight on.

Then again all my veterans were ponies not horses.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Tricky. I know of a 19 year old who’s up for £500, I think he’s sound, but know nothing about him bar the owner was trying to get me to buy him last week.

scats

Visit site
I was gifted an 18 year old 14.1hh jumping pony when I was a child. Best pony I’ve ever had. She won her last competition at 27. We had one period of lameness when she was about 22, lasted about two weeks. Other than that, she was never sick or sorry.
If we’d had to buy her rather than be gifted, we would have done. Prices were far cheaper in those days, mind, but we’d have paid a couple of grand (taking into consideration that she was riddled with melanomas aswell)

Esmae

Visit site
Seems expensive to me for a horse that age. Last 19 year old we had was £400. We had him 10 years and he was a star. Safe conveyance for hubby and grandchildren alike. Would I have paid £5k for him? No.

Peglo

Visit site
I got my first pony knowing she had navicular and I would likely only have 2 years ridden with her. She was the best first pony I could’ve had but did retire after 2 years… but was free. I paid nothing for her. 17 years later I still have her (and she isn’t lame) so it wasn’t navicular in the end ??‍♀️
I wouldn’t spend £5000 on a 19 year old personally. Do hope you find a horse OP.

spacefaer

Visit site
We've semi retired two 19 yr old horses in the last few years. They both went to hacking homes. One is now 22 and is as well and sound as when he left here. The other was put down at 23 last year as he was struggling with getting up and down.

Both had had very similar competition/hunting lives and if I'd had to choose, I'd have guessed the other would have gone first. It's impossible to tell at that age how much longer any horse has in a ridden career and we'd never have taken any money for them.