How much would YOU pay for a happy hacker?

EmmaB

Visit site
My horse is mainly a happy hacker.

He is all you describe except he can be strong and fast. But saying that I was nervous when I first met him and from our first hack together I instantly felt safe. He really is 100% bombproof I can hack him anywhere and do anything with him.

Paid 2000 inc tack rugs and all his belongings when he was 14, he's now 20 and still awesome.

I'd say his price was right. For a younger version of him, especially one that didn't have his 'let me gooo' moments, I'd say 3500 easily.

pansymouse

Visit site
I paid £2,300 for my mare 7 years ago when she was 16. She's a 15.3hh TB x Section D and I bought her for hacking. I thought at the time it was plenty of money but she's turned out to be the best horse investment I've ever made. We have a fantastic partnership - two grumpy old birds behaving like teenagers; made for each other!

chaps89

Visit site
I paid £1400 for mine- she had no steering, kick to go, pull to stop but popped a jump with no help from the rider and hacked down an a-road with skip lorries going past and didn't bat an eyelid.
If she hadn't have broken I'd have been wanting £3-4k for her as a pony schooled on, taken out to shows, xc schooled, popping 80cm courses, hacking alone/in company on roads and tracks, never silly or naughty, faultless with traffic, bikes, dogs etc. Her only 'fault' is she needs firm handling- give her an inch she'd take miles!
She still does those things but has multiple health problems and so is staying put- she's also grown on me and I now love her to bits as she is just so much fun to ride so she wouldn't be going anywhere anyway.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
6K is also what I had in mind. I need a horse to be comfortable and balanced, as I get no pleasure whatsoever from hacking on a lump with no balance. I have pleasure from the horse lifting his back and moving correctly. I like to go up and down the gears within the pace.

For this, the starting point, with all the stipulations OP put on as well, of riding in company/ 100% traffic etc, would be 6K. The horse may only be destined for happy hacking, but to give that feel it would be able to compete if the owner so wished.

For a horse that is not really balanced or built to be naturally so, but that has little go, so it is safe, then under 3K.
I'd agree with this.

I was undecided as to whether to get another horse, after protracted and ultimately unsuccessful attempts to rehab my late cob (who had multiple issues). I have ridden to a decent standard, so wanted a good ride as well a a safe one. Hacking solo in farm traffic and peletons of cyclists is a must (we live out in the sticks on a national cycle route). I had talked myself into thinking that anything suitably safe would be boring.

This is Indigo Tammy. 10yo 16.1 ID/cob, bred by HHO's Janet George but owned by a former member of her staff for the last 7 years.

My smile says it all, this was the first time I sat on her (and I'm very wary when trying new horses). She was 4.5k, I didn't even haggle.

rowan666

Visit site
I think it depends on the area and size of the horse, my 13.3 cob does exactly all of what's mentioned plus jumps (never refused) stunningly pretty, extremely polite/well mannered, clean limbed and judges always comment on how well she moves too, I really couldn't fault her but we are in the northwest and I can't imagine I would get much over 1500 for her? Not that she's for sale but if I actually thought I could get 3-4k for her I would probobly be tempted lol I think it's usually 15hh+ weight carriers that most people are willing to pay more for

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I've just sold my 14h2 bombproof mare who will pop a jump and do a dressage test for £4500. People will pay for bombproof - they're a rare find and usually go via word of mouth like mine did.

AandK

Visit site
Not my type of horse, but if it were, I would expect to pay in the region of £3-4k for it. They really are a type hard to find I think.

skint1

Visit site
I think Equidae has a good point, the best horses in the happy hacker/ low level all-rounder go by word of mouth. Both of mine came to me that way, the first cost me £800 including tack and rugs worth far in excess of that. The second cost me the grand total of £1.00. They've been great horses.

Luci07

Visit site
Agree with an earlier post - people tend to dump failed horses into the category of happy hacker, when realistically, not many horses are really nice reliable and trustworthy hacks. Its a real talent and trained skill. My ex event mare turned out to be an amazing happy hack as was so focused and sure footed she would take no notice of any traffic/people/dogs etc and I could just enjoy her. Her "one" thing was she could get wound up if a horse went in front or madam decided to up her game. Very very lucky that my would be eventer has actually turned out to be superb in our horrible traffic and easily one of the best horses on the yard for roadwork.

Can be a bit of a dick on the bridleways though but I know which I prefer safety wise. In terms of price - so many variances but I don't assume a decent hack is going to be cheap.

Rapidash

Visit site
The only thing that concerns me about paying a lot for a happy hacker is that often they are that way through competent riding and regular schooling. Would they remain that way with a less able rider?

EQUIDAE

Visit site
The only thing that concerns me about paying a lot for a happy hacker is that often they are that way through competent riding and regular schooling. Would they remain that way with a less able rider?

My mare would - she's been ridden by beginners, taught a 5yo and 7yo to ride, yet will up her game for a competent rider.

be positive

Visit site

I think this is a fair point but in my experience the people that value a really good, well educated happy hacker are usually fairly competent riders that will continue to school the horse while hacking, they just don't have the desire to compete for whatever reason but still want to ride a nice horse, hence some of the posters saying they would pay £6k they themselves are very experienced so will appreciate the work that has gone in.
Many less able riders will want a safe hack but do not have the experience to recognise the difference between a well made horse and one that is just quiet and appears safe and steady until something goes wrong when the gaps in it's education often show up.

skint1

Visit site
Good point Rapidash, I am not the most confident or competent, my mare was a rare saint and was able to compensate for my inadequances, my gelding he gets a bit worried, though he doesn't do anything outlandish or dangerous, so I have had to really try and up my game, lessons, confidence building etc, it's quite an adventure in learning for me- and my daughter rides him and keeps him tuned up for me if that makes sense.

Rollin

Visit site
Interesting seeing prices quoted. I bought my first horse a 15.3hh gelding for £1,800 in 1995!!

He was a ride and drive horse who took to dumping clients in the yard who owned him - he never bucked me after I bought him. Bomb proof, a super driving horse and a fun happy hacker who could jump. He was pts last year aged 36 years working until a few months before and never gave me a vet bill until the end. Looks like £1,800 was expensive 20 years ago.

Crackerz

Visit site
I'd expect something sold as a happy hacker to not have much, if any potential in anything else, so would pay a very maximum £1500.00

SplashofSoy

Visit site
I lost my excellent hacker last year, although he was a TB. He also was a low level comp horse (novice dressage/BE80) but hacking was such a pleasure. He was forward but totally sensible, responsive but never strong even at the back of company. Didn't matter what you came across he just got on with it. Interestingly he couldn't hunt, it just blew his brain. But you could go out with full confidence of coming back with a smile on your face. He was like this for the whole 8 years i had him from the age of 8. He hadn't done much before I got him but we had each other to look out for. Having subsequently hacked something not so saintly, nappy, spinning etc i can safely say i would easily pay £3-4k for a good hacker with all the associated skills. If it also did a bit of low level jumping/dressage etc then much more. When you enjoy hacking and have to do it to maintain fitness, due to work commitments, lack of school etc a pleasurable ride is worth a great deal of money.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I can probably beat you all here although I've not read all the replies.
Lady I used to do a bit of work for. Hacks only. Never ever does anything else but the horse has to be absolute perfection. Budget £30,000 but more for the right horse 😳
You wouldn't believe how long it took to find perfection and I'm unsure if the final cost. (It's pretty beautiful though!)

claireandnadia

Visit site
My first horse was all that for £2400 as a 14 year old. My new horse is mostly all that apart from not good on roads and loading very hit and miss for £2400 and she was 6.

Bernster

Visit site
I tend to agree that it's around the £3/4k mark towards the top end, possibly more for a more capable horse, and less for greener etc., but the true safe happy hacker for a novice or nervous rider is worth their weight in gold!

OWLIE185

Visit site
My totally streetwise, bombproof/spookproof horse cost me £350 with tack, grooming kit, tack and buckets many many years ago.
He was ridden by himself along the side of dual carriageways, over motorway bridges and through central London and ridden in Hyde Park with all the things that entails. He was also hunted and taken on pleasure rides and was a very safe ride.
If I could find one like him I would be prepared to pay a small fortune.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
After how much I got for my mare, I'm going to concentrate less on getting a horse competition ready before sale, and more on getting them used to everything and riding out perfectly. As well as being easier to sell, they also seem to fetch a higher price (unless those competing are amazing)

abbijay

Visit site
I haven't read every post but if it does everything listed in OP and isn't a total kick along plod - I'd rather a hard mouth than wearing myself out kicking every stride! And if it pops a small fence - say 2' then I really think it's priceless.
I paid £4.5k for mine 6 years ago and he is fab in pretty much every way, can be a ****** to load but exceptional in every other way. He came from a trekking centre but not a nose to tail trekking centre. I would have paid a lot more, he was willing to go in the school and popped small fences happily but not "schooled" and never going to jump big BS tracks. He is a first or last happy hacker, groups or solo. I've had him along main roads and past every vehicle imaginable.
If I wanted to find the same again I might even be willing to pay upto about £8k but I would need to know the horse beyond just viewing it once or twice to know these things are well proven.

SuperH

Visit site
I've got one similar to your requirements. Slight differences are she does jump and will happily pop low level sj and xc fences. She is not keen on being clipped. She also doesn't suffer fools so she isn't anyones ride you do need to be confident but if you are she will hack for miles over any terrain and past anything with her happy face on. When I went shopping for her I had a budget of £1500 and I thought I would struggle (last time I looked in c. 2003 I was looking for similar and my budget was £3000) but I picked her up for £900. I bought her in 2013, I've seen lots of things that would suit those requirements since for similar prices in this area (Powys) particularly if you are willing to take on a D as there are lots of those for very little money for a lot of horse.

wingedhorse

Visit site
If well schooled, safe, good in traffic and free of ailments, anything up to 5k, dependent on breeding

Agree, a true hacking paragon of virtue - first / last / any speed / terrain. Alone or in large group, at home and at fun rides. Never nappy, take any rider

THEY ARE VERY RARE!

My horses are both decent hacking horses (as well as competing horses), but they would quickly take advantage of a weaker rider.
Most horses will. Many are only great hacking horses with the right rider.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
To teach a horse to be all the things on the OPs list is quite a skill and if you dont have the ability or confidence to "make" the horse yourself, I cant see why they would be worth less than a decent competition horse. After all, if hacking is your thing" you need a horse that is going to be a pleasure to take out without worrying about meeting other horses, tractors, lorries etc and trying to drop you at every opportunity. At the end of the day a horse is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, but personally I would pay more for something that was guaranteed safe to hack (as much as you can guarantee anything) than I would for something guaranteed to jump! So, a very personal decision, but if I had a budget of £5k I would rather spend it on a decent pleasure horse than a competition horse.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I had the great pleasure of owning for 15 years (she was given to me by a dear friend - sadly no longer with us) a Traditional 14.3 Welsh Section D cob who was 100% and I mean 100%. You could put anyone on her and she would go out with them on board and bring them back without a single spook or anything else. Just quite an amazing horse. If I could find one like her again I would be happy to pay £5,000 for one.

sw4

Visit site
I would pay a fortune....a happy safe hacker is worth its weight on gold.. after all its your life you are talking about..you cant buy enough for safety..a real safe 100 per cent hacker i would expect with no other problems to be about 5-6 thousand.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think this is a fair point but in my experience the people that value a really good, well educated happy hacker are usually fairly competent riders that will continue to school the horse while hacking, they just don't have the desire to compete for whatever reason but still want to ride a nice horse, hence some of the posters saying they would pay £6k they themselves are very experienced so will appreciate the work that has gone in.
Many less able riders will want a safe hack but do not have the experience to recognise the difference between a well made horse and one that is just quiet and appears safe and steady until something goes wrong when the gaps in it's education often show up.

You make a good point there, b p, it always makes me cross when I see/read about those who wander about, taking no notice of the horse or its way of going and call that 'hacking'. Why do some riders think they have to be in an arena to ride properly?
Having said that though, I have never paid more than £2k and have always had totally bombproof but not ploddy horses. There again, I always aim to bring home a better horse than the one I set off with.

Last edited: