How much would you pay for a project horse??

sophs_c

Visit site
I have been advertising my horse for the last few months in the local paper and on various websites but have only had one phone call. I'm really struggling to afford to keep two horses so need to sell him ASAP but don't know where to look next.

I have thought about loaning but he's only 5 and fairly easily influenced so I don't to be faced with a horse with problems in the future when i get him back. Also I'm off to uni in september so could do with the money beforehand.
He hasn't done much but would make a great all rounder with a bit of time, is it worth sending him to a professional yard to kick him into shape?
He's been advertised at 3450 ono, so it seems a little silly spending say £600 which i can't really afford anyway on a horse that's not going to be worth loads.
I know we're not allowed to post adverts on here so I won't (Please don't tell me off H&H i'm genuinely in a pickle!),
I'm thinking of reducing the price to 2750
Please could you let me know what you consider to be a fair price for a 15.2 tb 5 yr old, schooled and jumping well, would affiliate dressage, showjumping or eventing, can be ridden by novice in a school but requires confident rider out hacking in case of sudden "I absolutely cannot do this moments
Would be a brilliant project to bring on.

I'm also in Cornwall so it's not a great place for selling!

Any advice much appreciated

ihatework

Visit site
I think what you need to consider is that it is very easy to pick up a young tb of reasonable quality for £800-£1500 in the racing sales, and anyone looking for a project knows this. Factor in your location and I really think you will struggle to fetch much more than this unless you can demonstrate the horse has been out and about doing little competitions. Even then I think £2000 would be nearer the mark. Unfortunately the market is saturated with TB's

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Hiya,

Is he an ex racer? If he is just green but all the basics are in place then I would say you could expect to get around 2k, maybe a little more. However, if he is a tricky ride and has quirks you may struggle to get that much.
If I were you, I would keep hold of him for a couple of months, bring him on a bit more, get out to a few shows and then you have more chance of getting 3k plus

KingCharles

Visit site
Over the years i have worked with numerous problem horses. Some of them i worked with for the owner. Sometimes i actually took the problem horse on a loan. I have also bought my on project horses.

Over the years I have paid the following:
My first pony was a project, I was 12 years old and my parents bought her for me.

Foxy 14.2hh mare, had a cataract in one eye, and was cold backed, paid 600 for her. Very talented but was known to rear and bolt. She did settle over time and after owing her for 3 and ahlf years and seriously outgrowing her my parents sold her to a pony club home where she still is to this day!

My next was an ex race horse who was bought for me by my parents when I was 16, parents paid 850 with tack and rugs. I feel that was too much but they did not know much about horses at the time.

I then bough my own horse when I 18, she was an ISH, KOD lines, 15.2hh chestnut mare. I was her 4th owner when I bought her as a just backed rising 4 year old. I paid 1200 with tack and rugs. She was papered as well.
I then bought jester a coulered warmblood x cob, 16hh rising 4 year old, for 1200, with tack.

The next project I actually owned after that was thor who was a 13.2hh fjord gelding, 12 years old and given to me. As owner could not do anything with him. I ended up finding him a home in a riding school.

I know own Charles a 16.2hh ID x tb gelding, 18 years young, I bought him for 300 with tack and rugs. He is a grumpy man to handle but is sound and healthy and up to work. I have spent a lot of time and money getting him sorted as he came to me with terrible feet and back pain.

I only really take on true projects now though and so I would not pay more than a nominal fee.

jessicabeau1

Visit site
u can pick up TB's for free! they arent worth 2 for a penny I am afraid especially projects??!!! you will be waiting a long time at that advertised price......

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Also, are you selling as a project as in he has issues or is he just green? If the confident rider out hacking is the only thing then I wouldn't say he was a project horse as such, but then I take 'project' to mean something that really isn't easy and needs a lot doing.

SusieT

Visit site
1500 unless he's a mroe ish type of tb iykwim.
young, is he off the track or just a tb?
I wouldn't see him as a project though. If he's ready to go out and compete, advertise him as a brilliant all rounder etc

kirinsam

Visit site
Agree with several of the comments that it is the TB bit that is prob causing your horse to be overlooked. The market is flooded with them , too many people have got ex-racers and found themselves overhorsed either in ability or financially ( I was one of them). I ended up recently swapping my beautiful well bred TB dream horse for a 2yo sec D mainly cos I just couldn't give her the time and effort required to keep her fit and happy as well as hold down a job that paid enough to feed her. I really feel that not only is she in a lovely home now but that I got the better end of the deal financially!!!!! .These horses are just not selling. Agree about the not loaning as we thought of this but what will you do if the horse is brought back in the middle of winter unexpectedly?

sophs_c

Visit site
Thanks for the responses!
He's never been raced although he comes from a good point to point family. I broke him last year and hes been to a few shows, won his first SJ 2ft 3 with a double clear. He's hacking out by himself, this is when he sometimes needs a confident rider to get him past scary things such as llamas... Otherwise he's great to hack in traffic and through towns and busy roads. He's quick to learn and started lateral work showing great promise and will jump anything you put him at.
I think i've been using the term project horse when really he just needs bringing on and needs to be taken to more shows. So in that sense he's not a problem horse just a project for taking to parties!

sophs_c

Visit site
He's also lived out all year so is pretty economical.. Having added a few more details do you think he's worth a bit more or am I just going to have to face the dust?
I just really need to sell him as I can't afford livery and shoes for two so he has to go, I suppose if i weigh up the monthly cost its would be better to sell him for less quickly rather than spend several hundred on livery and taking to competitions..

Oh horses, horses, horses.. what a pickle!

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
In that case I definitely think he is worth 2k plus but I do think you will struggle to get above 3, only because the market is saturated. He sounds lovely and defo not a project in the bad sense, lol! I don't know if you are advertising him as a project but if you are then I would say more allrounder that just needs a confident rider hacking alone, he is only 5 afterall so that is to be expected. Have you advertised on any of the big sites? If not, then whack a few ads on, some nice pics and a video, maybe put him up at 2750 ono and see what happens x

Last edited:

exracerfan

Visit site
I would not call him a project horse - it gives people the idea he has issues. I would say he is a very normal 5yo, as if he had done more at 5 you could say he has done too much too early!

I would emphasise that he has never raced or been in training, so he is not a throw-out. If he has no problems, healthwise, or any other issues, dont see why he should not be worth a decent price just the same as any other breed, if he is a sensible type. Sorry, I am biased as I consider a good sensible TB to be the best sort of horse anyone can have and they as you are finding quick learners and usually intelligent. They are also often quite talented and able. Can think of lots over the years who have performed at top level. You cant beat a good TB! After all thats what a lot of eventers are.

superpony

Visit site
I think you will struggle to get what your asking, as others have said you can pick TB's up for free or next to nothing. If you want a quick sale, i'd drop the price, play down the project bit and say hes been out and about abit and needs an experienced rider to continue his education. How big is he?

ischa

Visit site
i have to agree , there are plenty of tb that are cheap project that go for no more then £2000 , i would not pay more than £1500 -1800

Vickijay

Visit site
I think what you advertised him as is a bit pricey. I picked up my last TB for £800 and shes mega now.

I think shes only worth about 4000 now and she has won and been placed dressage, will SJ a course up to about 2'9 and has XC schooled round pre novice and a few novice BE fences and shes super talented and easy to ride.

I think even 2750 is pushing it. Sorry but there are sooooo many horses out there....

teddyt

Visit site
Doesnt sound like a project to me. Sounds like youve done a good basic education and he needs to go on and do more- just what i would expect at his age.
He may be worth what you are asking (maybe more!) but without seeing the horse its impossible to say for sure (conformation, ability, way of going, etc).

However if you have advertised him and had no success then you need to drop the price. Unless your advert is putting people off?

sophs_c

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, its made me realise that he is very over priced. Something i would not have found out if I hadn't put this post up!
Will try him on horsequest or horse and hound for a bit cheaper and see what happens!

cptrayes

Visit site
Put him on horsemart, cheaper horses sell well on there. If you are paying livery can you send him to a selling livery in a better area???? Anyone got any recommendations? Two Mills do a good job up here but far too far away for you.