How much would you pay for grass livery?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Based Essex area.

Good field with brand new post and rail fencing, automatic water drinkers and lots of natural shelter. Lovely quiet location in a village. No ridden facilities so better suited to Horses who aren't in work. Will be a small herd of 3 bigger Horses or 4 smaller/ponies. Field will be topped by farmer regularly.

was thinking of 2 options:

Full livery would include:

Checked once a day (I should mention farmer lives next to it and rings me if he notices anything, also lady on other side with Horses keeps eye out as I keep an eye out on hers too)
Poo picking
Feet picked
Holding for vet/farrier/dentist
Changing of rugs when required
fly spray/suncream when needed

worming and hay on top (although I will be doing the worming and putting hay in)

DIY livery would include:
Checked once a day

worming and hay on top

What option is more preferable and how much would you expect to pay for both?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I pay just over £50 per week for grass livery on the Berkshire/Wiltshire border, including winter hay, but not including worming. Small herd in 15 acre field, no field shelter, but plenty of natural shelter.

Personally I would want my horse checked more than once a day (mine is checked several times a day). Having the farmer and neighbour keeping an eye is all very well, but the livery would have no contract with them and they are under no obligation to do anything.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used to pay £100 a month for grass livery with 2 fields of about 6 acres that were rotated and rested with 4 horses in total, hay was extra and you were responsible for checking your own horse daily.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I enquired about similar packages last winter. They were about £70 p/w including hard feed, hay, worming and I *think farrier to trim.
I thought that was really pretty good value.
I'm about to take on a few winter field liveries myself of sorts. We haven't discussed money so interesting thread!

ihatework

Visit site
Personally, if I were paying to put my horses on full grass livery I'd want someone who lived on site and was there to deal with emergencies rather than rely on neighbours.

be positive

Visit site
Personally, if I were paying to put my horses on full grass livery I'd want someone who lived on site and was there to deal with emergencies rather than rely on neighbours.

I agree, I have a few liveries as well as my own living out and could not imagine only checking once a day, twice would be the minimum I would expect if I was paying for full livery, I would also want to know that hay was included in the price as with several sharing deciding what each one eats and charging appropriately can add on rather a lot every month, there is no mention of feed being given which a less good doer may require twice a day.

Cecile

Visit site
There are a few adverts on NFED offering full grass livery if you are looking for price comparisons,
it seems to include a few visits, worming, worm counts, foot trim, hay, feed, feet picked out and some have stables for emergencies etc

i know its not the OP's area but looking at what is on offer and prices even from a different area always helps to see what is offered within a package to see what people seem to want or what is available

Auslander

Visit site
Definitely need checking properly more than once a day if you're offering full grass livery. I'd also say (from bitter experience) that it's even more important to live on site if you have grass liveries. All the bad stuff seems to happen in the middle of the night - I've lost count of the number of times I've been out there in my dressing gown and wellies, in the pitch black, up to my knees in mud, with hysterical horses thundering around, bursting through fences, and kicking each other - despite being perfectly civilised 98% of the time.
2am on Christmas morning was a particularly low point.

Oscar

Visit site
I would want the post and rail electrifying to discourage chewing or leaning over, will save you a fortune in the long run!!

Does the land cope with 24/7 x 365days grazing? You need to put some money aside each month for grass seed and fertiliser, both of which are quite expensive, but putting hay out makes a hell of a mess. The horses trample it in and it then turns to sileage and ruins the field.

JJS

Visit site
Thanks all.

I think I will be advertising for DIY livery then.

I pay £25 a week for this, with hay included in winter. Horses also have access to automatic waterers and I have full use of the school and other facilities. Nothing else is included though - it really is 100 percent DIY (which is exactly how I like it).

LaurenBay

Visit site
I would want the post and rail electrifying to discourage chewing or leaning over, will save you a fortune in the long run!!

Does the land cope with 24/7 x 365days grazing? You need to put some money aside each month for grass seed and fertiliser, both of which are quite expensive, but putting hay out makes a hell of a mess. The horses trample it in and it then turns to sileage and ruins the field.

This particular field hasn't been grazed before. It was used for hay but farm owner has decided to now rent it out (it has been resting for a good while and still won't be ready to go until spring) My field which is next door is great though and has been grazed for the last 5 years 365 days 24/7.

I also was not planning on fertilizing as my grass recovers so quickly and is already lush. I have 3 very good doers who aren't exercised so won't risk Lami.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Full grass livery on large acrerage with an open barn is £100 a month, plus £30 on top when they hay. Thats in Oxford. They take total care of the horse 24/7.

G&T

Visit site
Full grass livery on large acrerage with an open barn is £100 a month, plus £30 on top when they hay. Thats in Oxford. They take total care of the horse 24/7.

Wow that is very cheap! Looking for exactly this in Oxford - can you let me know what yard/set up this is? PM if you prefer?

Leo Walker

Visit site
It seems about on par for round here. The problem is these places dont advertise so its word of mouth only usually. For £40 a week you get full grass livery inc completely ad lib haylage at a big competition centre with an Olympic size school and XC course etc.