How much would you pay for somebody to ride your horse ?

Shetlandmad445

New User
Visit site
Hello

I just wondered if anybody could give me their opinion. I’ve had an operation so out of action for 12 weeks, my friend is hacking my boy for me twice a week and I have enquired with a freelance rider about schooling him once a week. The fee would be £60 for a 45 minute schooling session/hack , is this about average or on the higher side ?
I’ve also had another lady say she’s £35 for 45 minutes but has a waiting list and I have no idea what the average price is.

ihatework

Visit site
It completely depends on what type of riding and the expertise of the person doing it.

So for a freelance rider/trainer doing this to make a living I would expect the equivalent to a lesson cost, which is again reflective of their experience and skill - in the range of £25-80 a session ... which I appreciate is broad.

For an okay rider on an average horse to exercise and not do a lot of harm, who may or may not be tax regisetered and insured, £15-20 perhaps.

Also consider who is getting the horse ready and washed off after ...

Puzzled

Visit site
£20 per horse. Whether it’s 20 mins schooling or an hours hack. Lady gets them in and tacks up etc. She does a minimum of 4 each time for me.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hello

I just wondered if anybody could give me their opinion. I’ve had an operation so out of action for 12 weeks, my friend is hacking my boy for me twice a week and I have enquired with a freelance rider about schooling him once a week. The fee would be £60 for a 45 minute schooling session/hack , is this about average or on the higher side ?
I’ve also had another lady say she’s £35 for 45 minutes but has a waiting list and I have no idea what the average price is.
I was paying someone £ 45 per 45 minutes, but now have someone £ 30 for 45 minutes. Both would catch in and tack up if ness

Pippity

Visit site
I pay £25 for 45-60 minutes of hacking. The rider is one of the grooms on the yard, so no travel, and she brings in, tacks up (including hoof boots), etc.

£60 for a schooling session might be worth it if the pro is really good and will make a big difference to your horse, but it still seems steep.

Visit site
I charge £20 for an hour’s hack or £15 for half an hour’s schooling if everything is being done for me and I only have to get on just to give you a price comparison. I would add on a bit more if they were further away for fuel costs.

SO1

Visit site
That is a lot does she have far to come and is this what she would charge for a lesson. I suppose if she charges for mileage and fuel is expensive and she far to come then it could expensive. She might a have minmum charge to come out to make it worth her while so the cost might go down if she was riding several horses.

I pay £15 for 30-45 minutes but I am on part livery and one of the grooms does the riding. She is already at the yard so no mileage or special journey to be incorporated and she has to catch in anyway. She rides a few horses but even if she was not riding them she would need to catch in anyway as part of her job.

It is also flexible so on the days she rides she can choose what time to ride the horses to fit around her schedule. I don't expect her to ride in awful weather. I doubt very much she would actually do riding at that price if she was not already at the yard doing her day job and this fits in nicely. If she was driving to someone's yard just to ride one horse she probably wouldn't do it as not worth her while.

Goldenstar

Visit site
For a good rider who could improve the horse I would be thinking £ 45 for a 45 minute session assuming all they had to do was get on and get off at the end .

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I charge £30 per hour whether it's catching and tacking up etc, riding or coaching. Travel at the same rate from when I leave home to arriving back.

Nasicus

Visit site
£25 for an hour be it a hack or schooling. She'd probably charge the same if she had to tack up/untack but I'm always there to do that.

Annagain

Visit site
I paid £25 an hour for an AI who now has a desk job but does a bit of riding/teaching for pocket money. I'd have him tacked up and ready for her.

Akkalia1

Visit site
I pay £25 per session (which may be schooling or hacking and probably around an hour although sometimes longer, certainly including turnout/in etc) for someone to ride my mare which includes her bringing her in and tacking her up. I'm not sure she'd be classed as a professional, in terms of this isn't a full time job for her, but she's an extremely good rider.

Leandy

Visit site
For schooling I would expect the same charge as for a lesson - so the range will depend on the expertise of the professional as it would for lessons. For basic exercising eg hacking, lunging I'd expect to pay ordinary freelance rates for services which are closer to the minimum wage. In both cases noting that if they are just coming to exercise so say for an hour or two that there will likely be a premium on the hourly rate to allow for travel etc and any tacking up/cool off etc time you are requiring to make it worth their while. If it is schooling however, I would be most concerned about choosing the right person to do the job you are wanting in the way you want it done, rather than about the rate they are charging. You need a professional you know and trust to school your horse. The right person will be good value at almost any price, the wrong one will be costly.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hello

Usually the more someone rides your horse the less it costs per session.
I've PM'd you as I'm being stalked :rolleyes:

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I have two instructors who normally give me lessons, they occasionally ride for me when I'm short on time. One charges £30 for an hour, regardless of whether that's schooling, hacking or jumping. The other charges £20 for 45 minutes, again regardless of what she's doing with him that day. They are both completely fabulous and I couldn't do without either of them :)

rara007

Visit site
I pay £15 an hour for exercise, competent rider, hacking and general ‘riding’ in the school, £50 an hour for schooling with Grand Prix rider.