How much would you pay for...?

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Thinking (and only marginally at that!) of selling my lad instead of loaning him out.
  • 14y.o. gelding
  • 16.2hh ISH-type (no breeding recorded in passport)
  • Solid build - has carried 13st without problems
  • Polite and honest to ride - no malice at all, tries incredibly hard to please
  • Regularly ridden in school; loves jumping and has scored 70+% in unaffiliated Prelim dressage
  • Hacks well in company; has hacked alone but doesn't enjoy it as much
  • Well-mannered on the ground - excellent to shoe, clip and load; well-behaved for vets, farriers, physios etc.
  • Lives in or out, alone or in company
  • Relatively good-doer
  • Comes with well-fitted saddle, bridle, rugs etc.
  • Can be spooky and requires a confident rider who can give him confidence to deal with spooky situations
  • Only done a couple of UA dressage tests recently; has been on sponsored riders and was amazing!
  • Recently diagnosed with sarcoids (treatment ongoing but would be complete before point of sale)
Is there any other information people would want to know? What would be a reasonable asking price?
TIA.

coblets

Visit site
Given that he's a weight carrier and you're selling with tack, I'd say 8k? Solid types are hard to find at the minute and you can always reduce price for the right home.

Other information I'd like to know is what he does when he spooks, whether he's currently shod, what height is he jumping at (and does that include solid jumps), and what kind of home you're looking for.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Given that he's a weight carrier and you're selling with tack, I'd say 8k? Solid types are hard to find at the minute and you can always reduce price for the right home.

Other information I'd like to know is what he does when he spooks, whether he's currently shod, what height is he jumping at (and does that include solid jumps), and what kind of home you're looking for.

With a confident rider, the majority of his spooks are sideways steps or scooting forward. That’s 99% of the time. The other 1% occurs when there isn’t genuinely something scary that most horses would be bothered by - in these instances, he usually moves sideways at a trot or jump to the side, although he’s big and wide enough that this is easily sat upon.

He is shoes on all four feet - I tried to take the backs off but he was miserable! He has good feet now, though, so the shoes could change depending on the ground.

Currently, I have a potential loan family: mum and her two daughters. They’ve tried him out and want to try him in lessons before committing, which was my idea. But they love Howe gentle and honest he is, and the way they’ve s seen him is his usual state.

Jumping: I’ve only done up to 60cm on him, but I know he could go a bit higher, maybe 80 or 90cm? He has jumped solid jumps, including out on hacks and on sponsored rides. He gets a bit excited with jumping, but is forward going without being ridiculous. Regardless, he will make his best attempt to jump whatever you put in front of him, even if the approach is a bit dodgy!

melbournesunrise

Visit site
10k for a spooky teenager with sarcoids? It seems it will be a long time before I own a horse again. I am clearly out of touch with prices, I would have guessed somewhere around 4k or less depending on the sarcoid situation.

Yes, that amount surprised me rather! The sarcoids are a new thing, and being treated to get rid of them. With any luck, they won’t return.

In terms of the spookiness, I’ve responded at length in my post aboveboard, but it’s minor for the most part. It really isn’t just a case of having the right rider!

As for being a teenager... well, I can’t change that but he said only just 14 and never been physically injured or lame in a way that will cause future issues. He’s in good condition and working well. I think he’s probably a good first horse for a teenager coming off ponies.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The sarcoids will be your problem, everything else is ideal. It would depend on what type of sarcoid and where they are really.. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but even if treated the buyer would be taking a punt on the fact they won't come back, one could pop up under the saddle area at any point in the next 10 years and that could be the end of his ridden career.
Me personally £3-4k would be my top whack, I would be more comfortable around £2.5k - it would really be a question of how much would I be willing to lose should it not go 'my way'.
Someone out there may pay £6-8k for him, especially as the market is mad.
Other people wouldn't even pay £100 if they have had a bad experience with sarcoids previously.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The sarcoids will be your problem, everything else is ideal. It would depend on what type of sarcoid and where they are really.. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but even if treated the buyer would be taking a punt on the fact they won't come back, one could pop up under the saddle area at any point in the next 10 years and that could be the end of his ridden career.
Me personally £3-4k would be my top whack, I would be more comfortable around £2.5k - it would really be a question of how much would I be willing to lose should it not go 'my way'.
Someone out there may pay £6-8k for him, especially as the market is mad.
Other people wouldn't even pay £100 if they have had a bad experience with sarcoids previously.

Not in this market! My green 6yr old ex racer with sarcoids, hideous feet and not a novice ride was 3.5k a few months ago and I was lucky to get him. Horse prices are absolutely insane. Sarcoids wont put people off a big, nice to ride horse at the minute. I'd ask 10k as well and take less to right home.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I would not be buying with sarcoids full stop. Such a pity he has them, as he does sound a nice sort that is very popular at the moment. I guess if I was buying and everything else ticked the right boxes then I would perhaps go to around £3,000 and would expect to pay more for his tack etc., but only because that is about the maximum I would be prepared to lose.

Here in Ireland I am noticing a very gradual dropping in prices for average, everyday sorts. Not sure if the market is still going crazy there, but regardless I still wouldn't buy with the sarcoids due to previous experience with them.

ihatework

Visit site
Your problem with this horse is that for his age he hasn’t really done a lot. Which doesn’t matter at all for the lower level leisure/riding club type horse providing the horse is straightforward to ride. But a large chunk of this market need confidence givers, and the spookiness and not hacking alone will rule out a big chunk of your target market. This type of market will also be super anxious about things like sarcoids.

If he is sound, sane and likely to enjoy hunting it would be worthwhile paying someone to educate him out in the field for you. You will get a more pragmatic type of buyer if he will hunt nicely.

Then depending on how smart / sound / nice to ride he is he could be worth somewhere in the 3-8k bracket. Difficult to know without seeing him.

PS - I’ve answered on what I think you could achieve. Not what I would pay (which is £0)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not in this market! My green 6yr old ex racer with sarcoids, hideous feet and not a novice ride was 3.5k a few months ago and I was lucky to get him. Horse prices are absolutely insane. Sarcoids wont put people off a big, nice to ride horse at the minute. I'd ask 10k as well and take less to right home.

Jesus christ. I knew the market was insane, but that's mad - no offense intended it's just been a good couple years since I last bought. Perhaps my break from horses will be permanent at this rate!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We (very briefly) considered selling our boy with a minor health issue (but one which would get worse over time). He's younger than yours, no affiliated record but very easy to take out and about to PC rallies, unaff competitions etc. We even wrote an advert but then I just couldn't go through with it.

His very biddable temperament would mean that he would run the risk of being pushed to do more than he should and the thought of him ending up with a low-level dealer, buted up and passed from pillar to post in his teenage years was simply not worth the few thousand pounds we'd been told we could ask for him.

He's currently turned away to see if he comes sound from a niggling soft tissue injury (which happened after I'd made the decision not to sell him). If he does come sound and needs more work than I can give him, then we'll loan him out, but I always want to have control over what happens to him.

I'm not necessarily against selling horses and if he'd not had the health issue and I could be sure he'd stay sound for the majority of his life, I might well have felt differently, but at 14 and with sarcoids, in your case in order to have a clear conscience, I'd loan rather than sell.

irishdraft

Visit site
I've been looking at that size / type of horse for sale & what I've seen is astounding one was 20 yrs still asking about 3 k, another was in the field and turned away but slightly lame but they were sure it would be fine 4k !! Whether these horses sell who knows but I'd probably say about 7.5 k if the sarcoids were not affecting tack or rugs but there's people out there who are not concerned with such things .

melbournesunrise

Visit site
When you say hacks out alone but doesn't enjoy it as much, what do you mean?

I mean, he will go without fuss and won't nap. It won't be a particularly fast walk unless you ask him, and he is more likely to spook on his own. It wouldn't be a forward hack, but you can do it. Contrarily, in company he is willing to go forwards and is much less likely to spook

Visit site
I mean, he will go without fuss and won't nap. It won't be a particularly fast walk unless you ask him, and he is more likely to spook on his own. It wouldn't be a forward hack, but you can do it. Contrarily, in company he is willing to go forwards and is much less likely to spook

was just wondering if it was napping as obviously that would seriously reduce the price. I would say he is worth about 6k with the spooking and the sarcoids.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
The sarcoids will be your problem, everything else is ideal. It would depend on what type of sarcoid and where they are really..

... but I'd probably say about 7.5 k if the sarcoids were not affecting tack or rugs but there's people out there who are not concerned with such things .

Sarcoids are mixed type (only 3, one of which ulcerated) and growing in his groin area. They don't affect his ridden work in the slightest, although I was only doing light work in the heat to prevent it getting sweaty and the flies getting to it. Even after his first treatment, when the area was swollen, I could ride him as normal without any signs of discomfort or problems.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
We (very briefly) considered selling our boy with a minor health issue (but one which would get worse over time). He's younger than yours, no affiliated record but very easy to take out and about to PC rallies, unaff competitions etc. We even wrote an advert but then I just couldn't go through with it.

His very biddable temperament would mean that he would run the risk of being pushed to do more than he should and the thought of him ending up with a low-level dealer, buted up and passed from pillar to post in his teenage years was simply not worth the few thousand pounds we'd been told we could ask for him.

He's currently turned away to see if he comes sound from a niggling soft tissue injury (which happened after I'd made the decision not to sell him). If he does come sound and needs more work than I can give him, then we'll loan him out, but I always want to have control over what happens to him.

I'm not necessarily against selling horses and if he'd not had the health issue and I could be sure he'd stay sound for the majority of his life, I might well have felt differently, but at 14 and with sarcoids, in your case in order to have a clear conscience, I'd loan rather than sell.

Currently I am only considering selling, but it would be very carefully decided and would only be to the right people. He will be loaned if I can't go through with it - apart from these sarcoids (which the vet is pretty optimistic about, given how well they've responded to just one treatment cycle so far) there is nothing about him that would worry me about his future.

I know I'd lose complete control if I sold him instead of loaned him...

PSD

Visit site

10k for a horse with sarcoids!?

I wouldn’t even consider buying one with them unfortunately. Especially at his age, I know the market is bonkers but that’s just a crazy price. I’d say 3k max purely because of his size and type. I paid 2500 for an 8 year old complete novice ride with no health issues 3 weeks ago. Prices are dropping because people can’t afford to replace what they’re selling, you may be lucky and find a buyer who isn’t phased by sarcoids but most are.

PSD

Visit site
Currently I am only considering selling, but it would be very carefully decided and would only be to the right people. He will be loaned if I can't go through with it - apart from these sarcoids (which the vet is pretty optimistic about, given how well they've responded to just one treatment cycle so far) there is nothing about him that would worry me about his future.

I know I'd lose complete control if I sold him instead of loaned him...
I’d personally loan him if he’s as good as he sounds.

mini_b

Visit site
are dropping because people can’t afford to replace what they’re selling, you may be lucky and find a buyer who isn’t phased by sarcoids but most are.

I fear this - not sure I could afford to replace mine in current market, he’s “worth” essentially zero to another buyer as well!!

I'm Dun

Visit site
10k for a horse with sarcoids!?

I wouldn’t even consider buying one with them unfortunately. Especially at his age, I know the market is bonkers but that’s just a crazy price. I’d say 3k max purely because of his size and type. I paid 2500 for an 8 year old complete novice ride with no health issues 3 weeks ago. Prices are dropping because people can’t afford to replace what they’re selling, you may be lucky and find a buyer who isn’t phased by sarcoids but most are.

Yours is a 13.2hh pony though, and from some one you know so not comparable.

Spot_On03

Visit site
No more than 5.5-6k. Probably nearer 4.5k depending on sarcoid placement and what you mean by doesn't like hacking alone.

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site
Yours is a 13.2hh pony though, and from some one you know so not comparable.

Which is why I said for OPs horse I’d pay 3. Mine was “advertised” at 3 and because I knew the owner I got him cheaper. So yes, it is comparable. But saying that, I wouldn’t pay £1 for a horse with sarcoids so ??‍♀️

Bellaboo18

Visit site
3-4k?
The sarcoids, comment about hacking alone, spooking and the fact hes not done alot for his age limits his target market.
I'm currently looking and there are still some high prices being advertised but the horses aren't shifting and alot are popping back up reduced.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Having seen a friend loose a horse to sarcoids (she started off with one...) personally, I wouldn't touch something with them. As someone once said to me - the only predictable thing about sarcoids is how unpredictable they are. If you loan, you can at least have a hand in monitoring and adjust treatment and care as required.