How much would you pay to train with a 'top' name?

Haflinger

Visit site
I go to Keith Shores ocassionally, and he charges £40 for 45-60 minutes
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
£0 because I don't think I'm worthy of being trained by a top name!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was highly embarrassed during my RP lesson - RS git pony decided that tanking off at any given opportunity was the best thing to do. Let's just say it's thankful that Robert is a patient man
blush.gif

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
i pay £40 per hour, Andrew lovell, i used him as i knew a few people that had, im not sure of his status, (but think its higher than i thought) its worth every penny,

lifeslemons

www.eventingworldwide.com
To me it isn't so much about the 'name,' but whether you can relate to the trainer and understand their thought processes, visualisation and reasoning's etc etc. Many people lower down the BHS qualification 'hierarchy' can be just as beneficial and knowledgeable, from my own experience.

Having said that, I train with Rodney Powell (who is £35, but often free
grin.gif
,) and am just about to recommence having instruction off Mark Phillips, who is £50 per lesson (the time with him varies from half an hour on a good day, to being held hostage in the school until problems are rectified!) I also have guidence and advice on tap where I am based. Once I was invited to a training forum/ seminar where I was a guinea pig for Lucinda Green, Mark Phillips, Yogi, Gill Watson and Carl Hester, which suffice to say was awesome, albeit scary! Here they reminded people to value the opinions of BHS IIs etc just as much as top names.

only_me

Visit site
wow... l
ots of top trainers there! do you want to come and teach me??
laugh.gif

the reason i have lessons with eventer is that he teaches our pc rallies and i got on with him well last year, so have started having private lessons with him every 2 weeks, as he knows how i ride and my weak points (there seems to be a lot of them
blush.gif
). and he and his brother are both good instructors, and not afraid of getting up on the horse to see what i am dealing with. they are both friendly, and they want to help me along because unfortuantly i am not on a "ready made" horse so I am not at the level my friends are at my age. I tend to buy young and do everything myself, so it takes my twice as long to reach the same competition stage, and by that time they have twice as much experience
frown.gif

ahh well... lifes not very fair!

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Here they reminded people to value the opinions of BHS IIs etc just as much as top names.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this - I pay £40 for an hour's private lesson at my RS with their two BHSII and they're both VERY good. Both have been classically trained at some point under varying top names and I'm happy to pay that for their teaching. Plus their comp results reflect their own ability.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think it depends, husband and daughter have had training with various "names", and some are much better value for money than others. We've found the Sj trainers and event ones are more likely to concentrate on what they're doing and not take mobile calls that last half the lesson...
Some dressage people tend to have audiences and involve them too, which is annoying when you are paying top whack.
It's purely whether you feel you are progressing I think, and not what they've done themselves, I roared with laughter when I looked up one Instructor who advertises as "Ex eventer", his record consisted of just four events, none of which he got placed, and one he got eliminated.. to be fair on his good days he can teach ok, but others when he is stressed you might as well forget.
We tend to go to anyone who is doing a clinic in the area, there is always some benefit to be had, and stick with a circle of two or three trainers.
If Carl or Peter were nearer we would use either, but it's a long long way from here to where they are both based.
We're lucky to have some good trainers locally but they vary in price from £27 to £40 a session, usually 45 mins.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I pay £12 for as long as it takes, with Dorothy Johnson FBHS, she is fantastic and has trained people like Stephen Clarke, and I pay £25 for about 45 mins an hour with Richard Carruthers (who was also trained by Mrs J!), Mrs J comes to me and I go to Richard. Both excellent value!!!!

only_me

Visit site
well, the eventer wants my dad to go into business with them selling lorries/horses?? and then as part of the deal i will get free lessons and help whenever i need
laugh.gif

gonna be good
laugh.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
£20 for someone with no qualifications, but a good teacher nethertheless & £25 for someone who trains with CH. Will probably have to pay more as my daughter wants to SJ/XC not dressage. She does help out at Judy Harvey's & gets to watch them work their horses which helps to inspire her.