How much would you pay...

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
For a horse of the below ..
15.2 15 year old mare
No vices and not mareish.
Never been schooled but showing promise and a willing to learn, will pop a jump but again green.
Hacks alone and in company has hunted in her younger days, just come off a loan from a 13 year old girl ( lass wasn't massively experienced)
I'd basically say she's a mother daughter share for general riding /fun shows etc. very safe doesn't need to be ridden every day will live in or out ...her age is obviously against her she's a really nice sort with the sweetest temperament but it's been years since I've bought or sold and am finding a worth price difficult....

ihatework

Visit site
£2-2.5K if she is genuinely safe and sound out hacking for any rider.
Less if she is starting to feel her age or would test out the less confident/competent

Potea

Visit site
If she's geniunely 110% safe to hack, non-spooky, good in all traffic and is the sort that could gallop in a field one day and hack across the same field in walk on the buckle the next and be ridden by all the family then I think she could be worth up to £2,500.

If she's a bit spooky/nappy/has to go first or last or hots up or not quite 110% to hack in all ways, then I think she'd be worth potentially considerably less, depending on the extent of any issues.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
She's not really a hottie, she came back to owner Friday turned out with 2 geldings ...tonight she was led half a mile through the fields the two geldings were going nuts, she's walked down, gone through 3 other fields of horses, been tied up on a yard with no other horses in view, ridden in the school and popped a jump, she got a bit eyes out on stalks when she could hear people but not see them but carried on never put a good wrong really. There was a bit of inpatient showing whilst tied up but she was just moving around not calling or anything
And tbh I think what we done to her was expecting a lot. She hadn't been on to the yard before no other horses about etc.

She's shown a bit of a nap before but she was never in regular work, and a growl got her going again, she has certainly never reared/bucked/span. Traffic she doesn't care about the worst she will do is be in patient to stand....but again this was previously when she was ridden one day and not then for months so, actually in my view a lot was expected of her.
She's been in regular work since the 13 year old had her ( 2years) as I said she's just a really nice horse but she's not good enough to breed from or be a world beater but current owner can't keep her.
I was thinking around the 2 k mark so nice to know I'm not totally out of touch

Theocat

Visit site
I am normally firmly in the horses-are-much-too-cheap-and-a-decent-safe-hack-is-worth-thousands camp, but from description of this one I think you might be struggling to get more than £1500.

Her age is against her; she's a mare (which I prefer but a lot of people really aren't keen); she has been nappy and impatient out hacking in the past (even if the circumstances weren't ideal that will put some people off); she hasn't been in regular work which means there's a risk of injury if the work is stepped up; and she doesn't have anything else on her CV that would make her attractive to someone looking for a pick-up-and-get-started low level all rounder. Is she pretty? Has she ever had health or soundness problems? Does she travel, behave when she's out, clip, need shoes...?

A couple of weeks getting some basic schooling into her, and an outing or two, could make a massive difference to finding her a good home at a sensible price.

SO1

Visit site
If she has been regularly ridden and handled by an inexperienced child for the last couple of years and they have had no problems with her and she has no health issues I would say 2.5 is reasonable. What was the child doing with the horse, mainly hacking in company? I presume even if the horse is not well schooled it is safe to ride in the school and understands the basic aids so will walk, trot, canter and do a 20 meter circle as well as pop over a small jumps.

SusieT

Visit site
if she fidgets/isn't easy I'd be expecting around 1K - even if shes' quite good to handle she has a few things that would upset a novice,shes 15 so can't sell her on 'promis'e . I'd look for a good home for 1K

Reactions: tda

windand rain

Visit site
You cannot condemn a horse for not standing still when on a new yard with no company or for napping more than two years ago. A safe first horse for someone who wants a hack should be worth at least 2 grand maybe a bit more. As long as the first time owner doesn't lie about their experience and is wise enough to get livery where there is help that is.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
a safe hacking horse who is 15.2 has got to be worth at least £2000 IMO. i frequently window shop for exactly this type(if i won the lottery!!) and she would be what i was looking for, safe to hack and in traffic and not too big., the little impatience wouldnt bother me and the napping sounds very insignificant....i would put the price as £2300 and expect to get £2000

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'd say £2000ish but be willing to drop to £1600. That's from experience of buying very similar last year.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I am normally firmly in the horses-are-much-too-cheap-and-a-decent-safe-hack-is-worth-thousands camp, but from description of this one I think you might be struggling to get more than £1500.

Her age is against her; she's a mare (which I prefer but a lot of people really aren't keen); she has been nappy and impatient out hacking in the past (even if the circumstances weren't ideal that will put some people off); she hasn't been in regular work which means there's a risk of injury if the work is stepped up; and she doesn't have anything else on her CV that would make her attractive to someone looking for a pick-up-and-get-started low level all rounder. Is she pretty? Has she ever had health or soundness problems? Does she travel, behave when she's out, clip, need shoes...?

A couple of weeks getting some basic schooling into her, and an outing or two, could make a massive difference to finding her a good home at a sensible price.
She's very pretty! And so fully of character.. like oh look I've just untied myself and sneeked to the neighbours hay net type character.

She has been in regular work for the past two years, with said kid who was riding with others and on her own as well as riding /jumping in the field.
She's had front shoes on, fine coat so hasn't needed clipping but loads, catches, and does all the basics
Yes she walks trots and canters in the school and pops a jump
No injuries no nothings she's had a very low mileage life.
I wouldn't advertise her as an alrounder she isn't in my view, but she is a very smart safe horse for a mother/daughter who just want to ride and learn and enjoy a horse.

Friend got given her a good few years ago, after deaths in the family put her out on loan then the loan home wasn't working out so we bought her home, offered her back to her original owner but was told to sell her.
Money isn't the be all here to find the mare a good long term home is, and to keep her out of dealers hands.
I'd stick a photo up but I don't want to be seen as advertising as it was a genuine how much.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
You cannot condemn a horse for not standing still when on a new yard with no company or for napping more than two years ago. A safe first horse for someone who wants a hack should be worth at least 2 grand maybe a bit more. As long as the first time owner doesn't lie about their experience and is wise enough to get livery where there is help that is.
Do you know she took it all well and it was in fairness to the mare, a little unfair. but I wanted to see how she would react as the possibilities of what people do when they get a horse home are endless, and I wanted to put her in the situation so we could see her at her worst

Well she was a star, her two field buddies were going ape, in the school there was 2 ponies next to it one making a racket rubbing on a metal feeder and she just carried on. Tied up got groomed got tacked up etc then had a nibble of good grass as a good girl before going back up to the field.