How much XC practice will you do before your first event?

Eventer96

twitter.com
My first ODE isn't until the end of April so I plan to go once a week as soon as the XC course opens, I am lucky to have one on my doorstep and 3 more within 20 minutes drive including LMEQ

We plan on going to LMEQ in March... let me know when your going. Maybe a HHO meet up? WOuld love to go schooling with a couple of people on here. :)

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I will probably get XC schooling twice possibly three times, not as much as I would ideally but I have to travel a good 2 -3 hrs to get to a good place but I will make lots of simulated fences in the arena :).

I'm in the same boat. Not everyone is lucky enough to be in an area where XCs are open most of the year round and easily accessible!

Where do you go jumptoit? I am thinking about my first scholling session - used Foxberry last year.

KatB

Visit site
Completely agree SpottedCat.

Also, I completely agree practising skinnies/corners/angles etc in the arena is helpful for accuracy, but it will never replace riding on different terrain, different cambers and undulations etc.

If I do decide to event a bit this year, I am lucky enough to have a XC course at our yard, so will try to get there a few days running, then a couple of times the week before an event. Looking back I realise how underprepared we sometimes are, so I will be making sure I make use of the facilities if/when necessary :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
My personal opinion - and it may be wrong - is that the lack of schooling is a hangover from the days when most event horses hunted after Christmas as part of bringing them back into work and fittening them up. I am sure I have read about people who used to have a hunter, take it round a couple of events, then go to Badminton! (wish I could remember where I read that).

So historically you didn't go XC schooling because, well, you'd been doing it all winter, and even events like Badminton were basically just big hedges and timber - there were no skinnies or testing turning lines, and I am sure people would have thought you were bonkers if you'd suggested backing two cars up together and jumping them as part of the course!

This attitude has somehow remained with the sport, so even though it is a totally different animal these days, people think nothing of going schooling once, or even not at all, and then going XC.

Just musings, maybe I am wrong.

Leg_end

Visit site
I will be doing lots and lots!! I have a baby and, right now, he hasn't even jumped a solid fence so before anything gets set in stone I'm going to need plenty of practise. I am lucky in the fact that we have lots of hunt jumps scattered around our hacks and in the field opposite the yard so I will be using those in preparation plus we have a ford and several river crossings (well streams..) and so that will sort my water schooling ;) I will probably only go to a 'proper' XC schooling venue once or twice but it depends how he takes to it all.

What is it they say.. Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail...!

ecrozier

Visit site
With my older boy we will prob go xc schooling twice one of which will be a clinic/lesson. However I don't jump him at home much between events either for sj.... He gets stale and bored if jumps too much and is much better fresh. Youngster however will go xc schooling at least twice before tacking a pairs HT and then go xc schooling another couple of times then ideally will do a solo ht before attempting a ODE!

wench

Visit site
I think as above - its all about facilities and instruction.

I am very limited where I live. There iare three courses about forty minutes away, but you have to take an instructor with you.

There are then two more about an hours drive away, which have on-site instructors you can use. One of the courses has larger jumps, and one has a 2ft course, and then a seperate one with intro-novice fences.

Trouble is by the time you have added up fuel, instructors and course hire, you wont come away with much change from £60.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
My personal opinion - and it may be wrong - is that the lack of schooling is a hangover from the days when most event horses hunted after Christmas as part of bringing them back into work and fittening them up. I am sure I have read about people who used to have a hunter, take it round a couple of events, then go to Badminton! (wish I could remember where I read that).

So historically you didn't go XC schooling because, well, you'd been doing it all winter, and even events like Badminton were basically just big hedges and timber - there were no skinnies or testing turning lines, and I am sure people would have thought you were bonkers if you'd suggested backing two cars up together and jumping them as part of the course!

This attitude has somehow remained with the sport, so even though it is a totally different animal these days, people think nothing of going schooling once, or even not at all, and then going XC.

Just musings, maybe I am wrong.

I agree with this to a point SC, however you also now need to factor in the incredibly early start to the season. The first BE event is the first weekend in March whereas it used to be well into April. Most XC schooling courses haven't even thought about opening by that time as their ground just isn't good enough. Add into that most horses won't have even done a dressage test on grass yet, never mind jumped a SJ course on grass or been XC schooling - it leaves an awful lot of very under prepared horses and riders.

I'm very fortunate where I live, in that I can generally get access to suitable training facilities (although not always ideal) before the season starts. I'd like to think that those who can't would delay starting their season accordingly - but I bet they don't....... :(

kerilli

Visit site
i think you're spot on, SC. This is a topic which Yogi Breisner covered in depth at the BE Fall Training and Safety Day at Newmarket last Nov. my full write-up about it's on EWW XC Corner, if anyone wants to read YB's words of wisdom...

personally i don't think arena events help at all with xc, unless you have a horse that's dodgy with skinnies and needs the practice!

i'll go at least a few times with each horse. the wussy baby horse will go to different places until she finds it easy and fun. i have no idea how many outings that will take, but i don't intend to go to the expense of BE to have her boggle to a halt and get us E'd at the first fence if I can possibly avoid it... ;) ;)
i'll try to go on at least 1 clinic, ideally with LG, FW, or someone of that calibre. definitely going to be rusty and will need some good crit!
i think i might beg/cajole OH into building some xc fences here, as cruising up and down my big field over easy jumps will be just what we need to get back in the swing of things, and a lot cheaper than £££s of diesel every time... most xc schooling places are at least an hour from me. :( :(
it is utter madness that we all do countless hours of dressage training, and the odd hour of xc practice.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is all very well going to a clinic, where you take it in turns to jump and maybe have two or three goes, but nothing beats starting at one and going round the whole course in one go. I don't mean first time, obviously, and if the fences are small enough and the course short enough, I would go round twice, when horse had got its breath back obviously!

I found this very useful, otherwise, the young horses don't realise that the fences just keep coming and coming. There aren't the hunter trails around that there used to be (some very famous names among the early winners at our RC hunter trials) and even hunting isn't the same as doing a competition.

I think I would want to do at least 2 courses like this before going to a competition.

SpottedCat

Visit site
We built some baby ones in the field last summer, and we move all the SJs off the arena into the jumping paddock in summer too, plus there is enough space in there to school on grass, and I am lucky enough to be in hacking distance of a large estate which has several big grass areas which I school and do fast work on.

I think the early season thing is true too M_M - but I know round here at least the dressage may be on grass but the early events tend to run SJ on a surface.

I'm about to stump up for an annual schooling pass for my local EC (1hr away) because my new game plan is to school round courses of jumps as often as possible, and now I have two horses, I only need to take them both XC schooling 6 times before the pass has paid for itself, and I'll probably do that much even before I reregister BE!

I've definitely been out with only one or two schooling sessions in the past - not any more! I am trying to spend my money smarter - which means more schooling, less competing, and hopefully therefore better results when we do compete.

Gamebird

Visit site

Many years ago (20+?) my in-laws were trying to sell a pointer to a famous local trainer. They'd got together in the beer tent at a PTP and the trainer said he'd buy the horse if it would jump the bonnets of two range rovers parked nose to nose. It did, and he did!

Historically my eventers have always hunted all winter. I'd drop them down a level at the start of the BE season and they'd do just fine.

However after spending some time with a pro-eventer and seeing just how much XC schooling his horses do (babies to 4* horses; before, during and after the season) I've changed my thinking. As many people have mentioned the availability of courses pre-season is a real problem. For the last two or three years I've travelled 2-3 hours for a pre-season XC schooling session. Madness really, but worth its weight in gold preparation-wise. I really do envy the people who have these courses on their door-steps.

I've never done any arena eventing competitions (though may have a go on sunday!) but do try to do as much arena XC schooling as I can, even if it's just building a solid fence and jumping it from XC pace to get my eye in.

This year I think I'm going to delay the start of my BE season and get as much SJing and XC schooling practice in as possible so that when we do come out we don't need too many 'prep' runs before stepping up. Hopefully it'll be cheaper too!

NewtonIce1

New User
Visit site
I will probably do 1 round of schooling before the season starts but that's all as I agree with earlier reply about having more confidence in an actual competition, I find it to easy schooling to be a bit of a chicken and not just fences that I would jump without a second thought on a course as you have to!!!!

Chack95

New User
Visit site
Personally I think that the amount of XC schooling you do depends on what horse your riding and how confident you are. I so all of my older horses schooling out hacking or in the school working on the technical bits. But my young horse takes about 5-6 hours of proper schooling at a proper venue to get into the right frame of mind to compete.

Some horses take less time than others, the same as people. I suggest experimenting to see what suits you and your horse the best!

Good luck xxx :)

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
I am really suprised by the lack of XC practice that people do! I have been thinking about XC all winter, so training up lots of hills, jumping banks, drops, steps etc in the New Forest whilst hacking. I have also been practicing "different" canters etc. I have been XC schooling once so far but would intend to go several more times before I competed.

The horse I have is quite experienced XC, but she hasn't done that much in recent years and I wouldn't risk her getting too excited/exhausted etc. She is already pretty fit but I would do a lot more work than I have been doing to prepare for competing XC. I am more nervous than most people with BE80/90/100 ambitions, because I have concentrated on dressage for years and not jumped much for ages...but I am working on my confidence as well as my mare's confidence.

Come on everyone, horses and riders need to be really fit to go XC safely!

jumptoit

Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Not everyone is lucky enough to be in an area where XCs are open most of the year round and easily accessible!

Where do you go jumptoit? I am thinking about my first scholling session - used Foxberry last year.

We normally go to Foxberry and Craven Country Ride at Skipton is really good it's not the nicest journey there but it is definitely worth it, I went to Eden Valley last May and have been to Cumwhinton in the past but I think they aren't really worth it tbh not enough variety ime. Also used to go to High Plains but it hasn't got much over the 85 - 90 cm, I've been to most of the Chasers courses in the north with pony club but I would stick with Craven and Foxberry in the future. Foxberry has a good variety but it's all in a very small space whereas the Craven ride goes for miles and they have lots of new skinnies including a wishing well in the schooling field :).

MegaBeast

Visit site
This is really interesting.

How many of those of you who say once/not at all would also either do a dressage test having only schooled your horse twice/not at all in the past 5 months, or go SJ having only jumped 2 rounds in that time?

Just curious - there is loads in the press about people not preparing for XC as much as the other aspects, and I am interested to know why....

Very true, but I do feel that you can practice angles, skinnies, corners etc in the arena and if you can gallop/interval train on grass prior to xc then this is pretty good preparation when coupled with a small number of xc schooling sessions. Time is also a factor as I have to travel in excess of an hour each way to get to anywhere half way decent for xc schooling and is very much weather dependent at the start of the season if it's as wet anywhere as it was last year. It is also the reason my first one or two events of the year are at a lower level than that at which I'd normally be competing.

ETA having read more replies:

Like GB I'll build solid fences at home and jump from a xc pace in the arena (we're lucky to have a decent size arena). However in a 20x40 this would not be possible.

The first year I had my mare we went xc schooling many times. And also practiced things like galloping along hedgelines as she had real issues with this finding it very scary and leering away from them!

XC schooling can take many forms, including hunting, interval training on grass, jumping at xc pace in the school (if fortunate enough) hill work of various forms etc. Not necessarily just what is normally thought of as xc schooling.

fwiw I've not had a xc lesson in many years and yet that is the phase where we've had the fewest problems. However I have read extensively, watched many training programmes as well as all levels competing. I wouldn't recommend this approach but somehow it has worked for us!

Have been put off xc lessons as generally in a group situation and this really does not suit my mare. Nor wold the constant stop start of a xc lesson. The ideal would be if both trainer and myself were mounted and could go round together but am yet to come across anyone offering this. And then you might end up with a clingy horse!

Last edited:

jumptoit

Visit site
I agree with this to a point SC, however you also now need to factor in the incredibly early start to the season. The first BE event is the first weekend in March whereas it used to be well into April. Most XC schooling courses haven't even thought about opening by that time as their ground just isn't good enough. Add into that most horses won't have even done a dressage test on grass yet, never mind jumped a SJ course on grass or been XC schooling - it leaves an awful lot of very under prepared horses and riders.

I'm very fortunate where I live, in that I can generally get access to suitable training facilities (although not always ideal) before the season starts. I'd like to think that those who can't would delay starting their season accordingly - but I bet they don't....... :(

I think to a certain point that one does sort itself out the North England season starts late Apr/early May and even then the first few are often cancelled anyway.

I wouldn't say XC training was about fitness though, I do quite a bit of hacking up good hills and often give them a good canter on the beach so they are very fit we just only get the opportunity to jump XC fences two or three times. But if I has a new horse or one new to XC I would do things very differently and go 6 or 7 times then start my season in June. One of mine will start her season later as she hasn't been XC for a year now but with a horse who has already done a few seasons I have always just done 2 or 3 lots of training.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Fair enough - I personally don't see angle/skinnies/corners in the arena as practicing XC any more than I see things like jumping a set stripe on a pole as practicing XC. I guess I see them as part of accuracy and obedience, which is an all-round skill I need for all 3 phases.

For me, the riding at speed over different terrain, using fixed fences, and being able to alter pace within a gait quickly and safely for each fence, not to mention getting used to jumping out of a less 'micromanaged' stride than I use for SJ is what XC schooling is all about. Finding that row of suitable fences, setting up XC pace then not taking a pull, jumping out of a faster stride, keeping that forward rhythm - things you really can't do in an arena.

Don't get me wrong, I do all the arena stuff everyone has described, but I wouldn't call it XC schooling, and like I say, this year I'll be doing more prep and less competing.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Fair enough - I personally don't see angle/skinnies/corners in the arena as practicing XC any more than I see things like jumping a set stripe on a pole as practicing XC. I guess I see them as part of accuracy and obedience, which is an all-round skill I need for all 3 phases.

Don't get me wrong, I do all the arena stuff everyone has described, but I wouldn't call it XC schooling, and like I say, this year I'll be doing more prep and less competing.

Agree with you, don't know if you read my reply before or after I edited it... xc schooling encompasses a wide range of skills in my opinion.

Eventer96

twitter.com
Thought I'd add, that although we will only do 3/4 cross country schooling sessions before the end of March, I have been hunting at least twice a month since November. :)

Hunting most definately has helped me keep fitness levels where they should be and has kept my eye in on jumping. Also I thought it'd be good as T was funny about jumping out of heavy mud... not any more! ;)

Eventer96

twitter.com
Sounds great! I'm open to dates/suggestions! Although on a 13hh pony so won't be doing the big stuff!

I'll speak to my instructor to see what dates are best for her, I'll get back to you as soon as possible :)

I'll be taking my eventer so will be jumping BE100/Novice ish height. But my friend will be going on her pony so we will do little bits and pieces too. It'll take me a while to get my confidence again! :D

Last edited:

Heidiham

Visit site
With my 5 year old I'm going to school around Oasby in Feb, hack around Aston-le-Walls unaff ODE in early March and then enter our first BE90 end March. One JAS BE90, a bit of dressage and a few event/sj clinics in the mean time if I have time. No more xc schooling - we did a couple of UK Chasers in the Autumn with no probs so I know she'll be ok for what we have planned this year.

TableDancer

Visit site
QR: This is a very live topic, with Yogi Breisner having been banging the drum for a couple of years now, arguing that people have the balance of their training way off, doing far too much dressage and SJ and not enough XC. He would argue that this is a safety issue as much as anything, and part of taking responsibility for our safety as riders means training in a far more focussed way for this phase, not just on babies and not just at the start of the season, but on-going. He's been making this point for a while and others are now jumping on his band wagon and I, for one, can see the logic. It's more hassle and more expensive to XC school than the other bits but that doesn'ts mean we shouldn't be putting ourselves out to do it.

Having flicked a few of the replies, apologies if this point has been made to death already.... But, btw, not sure SC is right about the hunting angle I think it is more that the XC used to be so much more straightforward so, provided you were bold and rode in balance, not much practise was required other than reminding them what a ditch was and what water looked like! Also, far fewer of us had arenas so horses in general were far more likely to do more work on uneven grass and out hacking rather than today where with the plethora (Gamebird points??) of arenas available and the traffic on the roads, many people (me included) do the vast majority of their work in the school...

Last edited:

jess_asterix

Visit site
I'm also aiming for Stafford BE90 with Nugget who has never competed XC. He has been schooling once this year and has done indoor XC.

I will have a XC lesson at Eland Lodge and then probably go schooling to Lincomb as we need ditch and whater practice and out local course isn't the best for this!

diggerbez

Visit site
just to add as well- i asked a few weeks ago about XC lessons and loads of people said they wouldn't bother having any - now i can understand your horse not liking clinics as stood about- but i meant proper XC lessons with 2 people in group... i've booked a couple for before my first event so hopefully that will be critical enough to get me up to speed more quickly than say 4 sessions on my own... i really do think that proper XC lessons are a must- especially if going in at a higher level...