How much?

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
I have just been to look at a new horsey for myself but just wondering if you guys think he is the right price?

He is 18 years old, 17.1hh Irish Draught X, chestnut gelding. He used to be very well known in the local jumping circuit and has been there and got the T shirt in all things (Dressage, Jumping, XC, Hunting etc.. ) He is so calm and unflappable and if he was any more laid back he would be horizontal.

His legs all feel fine - obvioulsy has the odd bump or two but nothing that I wouldn't expect a horse with his past to have.

At the moment he is a little poor but has put on weight in the two weeks since I first saw him. He is lacking topline but hasn't been worked properly all winter due to owners lack of time.

He is good to shoe, box, catch, clip and 100% bombproof.

They are asking £1,500 for him as he stands (ie no tack). He is at a yard that is near me and I would probably keep him there anyway so have been offered a months free livery if I did buy him (cost appox £100 per month).

Do you think he is worth it? He is older then what I would have liked but then he ticks all the other boxes that I am looking for. (He doesn't look his age if that makes sense)

Happytohack

Visit site
I would say he is overpriced, 18 is quite old for a big horse and he will cost a fair bit to keep, especially if he is not a particularly good doer. I would price him at under £1000. But if he ticks all the boxes and you think you will have lots of fun with him, then go for it. A safe, older, experienced horse can be a marvellous confidence giver. Shame the owners won't include some tack though.

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
mmm, thats what I thought - I would be more than happy to part with £1000 for him but not much more.

I wouldn't say he is a poor doer - just not had much done with him over winter. He isn't skinny, just not as much weight on as I would expect an IDx to carry - he is lacking muscle and topline which does make him look worse.

It is his age that worries me. He doesn't look old - I didn't know how old he was when I first went to look at him and put him at about 12. He has always been a fit and healthy horse so suppose that does go in his favour..

I am looking for a safe confidence giver that I can do anything with.

and why, oh why does he have to be called Trevor.....
crazy.gif

Blissy

Visit site
I'd worry about his size for his age. Larger horses can often be susceptible to joint problems in their old age. Please, please get him vetted with flexion tests as part of the vetting procedure. You definitely don’t want to be stuck with arthritic problems as soon as you get him home. I know that many people will tell stories about tall horses with good joints into ripe old age – but to be on the safe side, get the vet for a flexion test. If you can’t afford one, don’t get the horse. Alternatively get someone you know who knows how to perform flexion tests. But the vet would check for many other things – invaluable.

frb

Visit site
I think £1500 is a fair price is he is as good and safe as he is meant to be, horses like that are worth their weight in gold. Have him vetted if you want to be sure, there is no reason that he won't go on and on if he is fit and well. My hanovarian warmlood is about nineteen and I would not accept below £2500 with all included as he is worth it, and appears no where near his age. Just keep a horse that age fairly fit which delays any creakiness etc.
You never know though., my boy is like a spring chicken but my friend's horse was put down last week with a heart condition last week, and she was only young.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I'd get him vetted just to make sure ther are no hidden problems but he sounds fab for that price. Good safe horses are worth their weight in gold
laugh.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
yes if he is fine in a vetting of sorts, for your purposes only, nothing nasty and hidden/lurking, then i would say up to £1000 as he is 18 after all, i would expect a fully sound but aged horse for this price
my mare is 18 this year and i am under no illusion that her value is much decreased

Happytohack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please, please get him vetted with flexion tests as part of the vetting procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you should have a vetting, but flexion tests are a grey area. My big mare passed a flexion test with flying colours when she was being investigated for lameness last year, but xrays show she has arthritis in the coffin joint. Sometimes, you just have to take a chance and if the vet says he is in good nick for his age and you feel he is the right horse for you - go for it. BTW I think the name Trevor is cool
cool.gif

Bedlam

Visit site
I think the price is fair actually. If he's a laid back confidence giver then he's worth his weight in gold. 18 just isn't that old for horses anymore - if you look after their teeth and feed them well and worm them etc etc, and make sure they're not overworked. I wouldn't buy him as a competition horse, but as a happy hacker and for small local events he may well have years left in him.

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
Thanks guys for the input - I would of course get him vetted. Just need to recheck the finances but think I am going to go for it subject to passing a vetting.

At the end of the day I don't want to compete him just get my confidence back and enjoy riding again. I would rather spend £1500 on a horse I feel 100% safe on than spend £1000 on something I don't.