How much?

3OldPonies

Visit site
Might be in the position to think about buying the horse I've been riding, how much would you guys think he might be worth from this description?

16 hh (ish) heavy weight coloured cob, 17 + years old (owner can't remember exactly and I've not seen his passport), arthritis in hind legs and history of hoof problems (he has terrible feet). Was schooled to medium dressage (so she says) level and is pretty much bomb proof. Only suitable for light hacking and must live out owing to the arthritis.

My experience of the arthritis is that it is manageable as long as hacks aren't overly long and kept to a max of a steady trot if the ground is hard. He does get very stiff if he has to stay in for any reason. As to the feet, I'd be hoping to do something about those through diet/supplements/management.

I'm guessing that he's not worth that much, but in reality I don't have a clue!

Cowpony

Visit site
I wouldn't pay anything from that description I'm afraid. The health problems will only get worse and you won't be able to get insurance for existing issues. You'll get to the point where you won't be able to ride him and you'll have to keep him comfortable as a field ornament. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, but he's the sort that others are desperately trying to find homes for and there's not much, if any, market.

PorkChop

Visit site
I agree, probably not that much, however he sounds a super confidence giving type.

Tbh I would ask the owner what figure she had in mind and be guided by that.

wiz07

Visit site
Id have to agree with Cowpony, I wouldnt buy this horse...... Maybe see if you could have on loan? Health issues and age would concern me - it could be only a matter of months before you have extortionate vets bill to pay for and no horse to ride? Sorry not a positive post - but there are so many cheap, sound uncopmplicated horses out there needing loving homes that would give you many years of riding???

ponydi

Visit site
I wouldn't pay anything from that description I'm afraid. The health problems will only get worse and you won't be able to get insurance for existing issues. You'll get to the point where you won't be able to ride him and you'll have to keep him comfortable as a field ornament. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, but he's the sort that others are desperately trying to find homes for and there's not much, if any, market.

This

WelshD

Visit site
I'd want to pin down the 17+ years old before even considering what to offer as that would make a big difference in my eyes

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
This horse may be lovely but I'm with everyone else & say don't buy him. He's got problems, bad feet & arthritis in both back legs. He can only do light hacking because of this so it matters little what level he may have been doing dressage at. If you really want him then just negociate a loan or a share because you could have some expensive vet bills with him. Insurance would not cover him for existing issues. Also joint supplements are expensive.

There are plenty of horses of his age out there without the medical issues. I appreciate you've probably bonded with him but don't let your heart rule your head because in the end you'll empty your bank account trying to keep him well.

Palindrome

Visit site
Would offer £500 as a nice quiet hack suitable for a beginner but getting on in age. Agree that he is an ideal candidate for a loan but if you want to pull shoes (if shod) or change his diet, etc you might need to buy him.
You could also see to negotiate a price including tack and rugs if his current tack fits well.

Last edited:

SpringArising

Visit site
This horse may be lovely but I'm with everyone else & say don't buy him. He's got problems, bad feet & arthritis in both back legs. He can only do light hacking because of this so it matters little what level he may have been doing dressage at. If you really want him then just negociate a loan or a share because you could have some expensive vet bills with him. Insurance would not cover him for existing issues. Also joint supplements are expensive.

There are plenty of horses of his age out there without the medical issues. I appreciate you've probably bonded with him but don't let your heart rule your head because in the end you'll empty your bank account trying to keep him well.

This exactly.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you have him already would she not just give him to you? if he was mine I would just say have him, you couldn't really expect anyone to buy a horse with arthritis to that extent and without knowing his true age.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
If he is only 17ish with all those problems then I would leave well alone. Tbh I don't think he's worth anything from a monetary point of view because he could cost a fortune in vet bills and who knows how long he will remain sound enough even for light hacking.
Sorry, I realise you must be very fond of him to consider purchasing, but for me the risk would be too high at any price - even free.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses. She may well give him away as money is getting tight for her and she could do without the livery fees for him (she also has another much younger horse on the same yard). You've kind of confirmed what I was already thinking in terms of nothing at all/free/meat money. (Needless to say he would come and live with my other two on my yard if I did get him.) I just felt I had to ask the question of you guys because I don't have a lot of horse buying experience, they tend to come to me and stay forever so it's not often I even contemplate getting another.

Much as I love the old boy (he's helped me get my confidence back over the past two years) I will have to do a lot more thinking about this before taking the plunge (or not). Your answers have definitely helped :)

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
I'd say it depends on how much you like him as a "person". If you are happy to take on the risk of a horse that may have to retire in the near future and are happy to have him as a field ornament because you are fond of him and have the time and money, then I would offer to buy him, with tack, for the price of the tack.

So the owner would not get much money from you but would have the peace of mind of knowing he has an assured future with you and, presumably, would be able to see him if she missed him.

You may get a horse that cannot work in the very near future or, with luck and management, one that can happily and safely hack out for the next ten years. That, however, is the gamble we take whenever we buy a horse...

3OldPonies

Visit site
As a 'person' I love him to bits, he is such a gentle giant! Very well mannered and extremely well spoken (he's always rumbling at me in the hope of a cuddle or better still an apple or carrot). He's also very quiet in the field, so I think he would fit in with the existing field ornaments a young hooligan would definitely not go down well with the other two.

So lots of thinking to be done if the owner does decide she can't afford two any longer. The only thing decided upon so far, based on my own thoughts and those of all of you is that I won't be parting with cash for him unless it is a contribution towards tack (which isn't in a great state to be honest). So that's one decision made at least!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Bless him - mine's not always a nice person but I still love him to bits! I think, if you have the resources to have him, I'd be a soft touch in his case too!

Palindrome

Visit site
You could easily buy a 10k youngster with a 5 stages vetting for him to blow a tendon playing in the field the next day. Arthritis is very common in horses, let alone a 17 years old and bad feet could possibly be fixed depending on what is bad exactly, particularly since we are that time of year where it's a bit drier so feet are cracking if not oiled and not knowing how long he is into the shoeing cycle, etc...

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thanks moleskinsmum and Palindrome! The feet (I think) could be fixed with an improved diet and hoof care. I have the same farrier as his owner and he's not totally doom and gloom about his feet.

Just have to see what transpires I suppose, after all of this the owner might decide to get rid of the youngster (right bundle of mischief he is) and keep the old one, she's had him for years or she could carry on as she is and all of this asking will be academic.

YouOnlyLiveOnce

Visit site
OP I got my horse in pretty much the exact situation you describe, his owner couldn't afford to keep him any more (I was sharing him at the time) and she asked me if I would have him. He was 20 years old at the time.

Now I never intended to buy a horse of that age. However, he is one of those horses that you don't come by many times in your life and is the most trustworthy and kind horse, a true confidence giver, so I was reluctant to see him go.

We ended up agreeing that he would be signed over to me for the nominal fee of £1 which made it legal. The difference between that and your story is my boy had no health issues to consider when I took him on.

I don't regret for a second taking him on, however the reality of it has meant that I enjoyed riding him for a couple of years and after that he has been enjoying a nice retirement and clearly costing me money (which I don't begrudge him), but I am now in the situation of having to pay for two horses on livery so that I have another to ride.

Listen to your heart, don't let his owner guilt trip you into taking him on if he wasn't what you were looking for in terms of buying x

3OldPonies

Visit site
YouOnlyLiveOnce, so glad to hear that you had good times with the one that you took on. If this horse was sound it would be a complete no-brainer, but I do already have two in retirement (H though has his good days and bad so not sure in all honesty how much longer he will be around - hopefully for ages and ages yet never want to lose that sweet old boy). I think I'm going into this with my eyes open, as I do have a fair amount of experience dealing with his particular problems, but I'm really thinking hard about whether I want to take on another with issues, if he does become available. I'm pretty sure his feet can be sorted, but the arthritis isn't going to go away and that's the bit that is really taking the thinking about.

Having said all that though, you did remind me that my first ever pony (when I was 22) was 20 years old! I'd been sharing for 8 months and the owner said to me would I like him and gave him to me for my birthday. I paid £50 for tack just to avoid them the inconvenience of getting rid of it some other way and we had 7 lovely years together, 4 of which he was still able to be ridden for.

Oh, this is all so very difficult. It's not that he's not what I want, I'm not really into competing or racing around the countryside, I just want a hack that I can go for nice simple, uncomplicated rides with, and that part of the requirement he fits to a T! It's just that niggle in the back of my mind about the arthritis.