How much?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’ve been chatting to my other half and comparing the costs of cars to horses — we have also downed a bottle of wine and are sat in the garden and tbh a little bit pissed .... we can google what flash cars cost but horses seem harder to ascertain... They’re always poa and I am well out of touch so how much would a really good eventing youngster cost these days (3 year old with 3 star potential) and good breeding set you back ?? I have no idea

ihatework

Visit site
Huge variation. Eventing is after all as much about temperament and soundness than out and out ability like it is with the pure dressage/sj.

3* isn’t really top of the game at all, I’d hope with some good training, a bit of luck and moderate ability 10-15k will pick you up a nice raw unbacked 3yo for 3*. Which isn’t to say that there aren’t horses out there competing well at the level that cost significantly less.

Now 3yos that scream big event winner/team horse is a different ballgame. You would be starting at 30k if you got lucky and go up from there depending on who is selling and how much interest.

Palindrome

Visit site
I just saw a foal for 22k (euros but still) yesterday or sale in the next village! Good jumping breeding but still.

blitznbobs

Visit site
It sounds like you are comparing the wrong things though. A car is ready made, a potential youngster isn't.

you sound like you think we were having a sensible discussion — we weren’t - we were having a somewhat heated but very enjoyable marital debate! (For context my husband already has two Aston Martins)

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
you sound like you think we were having a sensible discussion — we weren’t - we were having a somewhat heated but very enjoyable marital debate! (For context my husband already has two Aston Martins)
So yes, you need at least 2 youngsters, or one well produced 6yo to make it fair ?

I've always said a horse costs pretty much the same as a secondhand car- anything from 500 to 100k!