Daytona

Visit site
photo_zps463e7f8c.jpg

A italian vets method of treating laminitis

Last edited:

TwoStroke

Visit site
Holy ****.

I can't even begin to list all the things wrong with that. But WHY use screws instead of nails, fgs?!

Jesus, what an idiot :(.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That hoof looks stuffed. I can see the reasoning behind screwing rather than nailing on a laminitic but I'd not thought the screws needed were B&Q issue :eek:

Oberon

Visit site
Steward clogs have been around for years.

They attempt to improve break over to remove shearing forces and make it that the horse is rolling along.

Problem with the wooden shoes is slippiness is a real risk - and so horses will brace while moving for fear of slipping.

http://hoofcare.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/aqha-laminitis-download-link-for.html

I would imagine looking at the causes of the lami rather than concentrating on the hoof would yield better results though :rolleyes:

Prevention is better than cure......

honey-bees

Visit site
Steward clogs have been around for years.

They attempt to improve break over to remove shearing forces and make it that the horse is rolling along.

Problem with the wooden shoes is slippiness is a real risk - and so horses will brace while moving for fear of slipping.

http://hoofcare.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/aqha-laminitis-download-link-for.html

I would imagine looking at the causes of the lami rather than concentrating on the hoof would yield better results though :rolleyes:

Prevention is better than cure......

Thank-you. Makes interesting reading.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Despite the explanations, doesn't make it the treatment of choice by a long shot!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
it may look barbaric but actually if you read about it it makes sense

Hmmm, yes, agree basically. I've had a laminitic in the past and wouldn't discount this treatment out of hand.

Looks like the hoof has had a dorsal re-section at some stage........

Any farriers/veterinarians on here care to comment??

YasandCrystal

Visit site
what's the reasoning behind using screws rather than nails?

It is not uncommon to use glue on shoes or pads fixed with tape in horses with lamintis, as nailing on is painful and traumatic to an already very painful condition/foot.

The screws would be less painful to the horse for a few reasons, firstly it would mean the horse does not have to support it's weight on the other likely compromised fore foot as the screwing took place from the top, secondly there is no banging which would likely cause discomfort to the horse, thirdly the placement of this shaped wood is likely dependent on the foot being on the floor to determine the exact spot at which to fix it. I also doubt that nails would hold this wood in place as well as the screws. There has been lots of movement of the pedal bone from the look of the coronary band and hoof capsule shape.

Last edited:

A Guilding

Visit site
This horse has been wrong since birth or soon after. front right looks quite normal (relatively). grade 2 or 3 club foot on left that has mechanically foundered. P 3 will of eroded at the toe. No it hasnt had a resection. Id of used smaller screws. or glued or taped a plastic clog on it. It will have impression material under there around the frog to take some pressure off the failing blood supply under the toe
This for this horse is a very good job. without it it would be glue.

JackAT

Visit site
It is not uncommon to use glue on shoes or pads fixed with tape in horses with lamintis, as nailing on is painful and traumatic to an already very painful condition/foot.

The screws would be less painful to the horse for a few reasons, firstly it would mean the horse does not have to support it's weight on the other likely compromised fore foot as the screwing took place from the top, secondly there is no banging which would likely cause discomfort to the horse, thirdly the placement of this shaped wood is likely dependent on the foot being on the floor to determine the exact spot at which to fix it. I also doubt that nails would hold this wood in place as well as the screws. There has been lots of movement of the pedal bone from the look of the coronary band and hoof capsule shape.

Thanks! Learn something new every day. Makes a lot of sense. I didn't really think about the initial act of putting the shoes on, but it's just as important as the advantages when the shoes are on and working. Also makes sense that screws would be more secure than nails!

Now, I really must get on with studying immunosuppression in kidney transplant patients or my consultant will shout at me tomorrow. HHO is my favourite form of procrastination atm!

A Guilding

Visit site

Rubbish.

cptrayes

Visit site
This for this horse is a very good job. without it it would be glue.

I'd rather it was glue. I can't believe that horse is being kept alive for any reason other than the owner can't bear her own pain if she loses it. I find it impossible to believe that it is not wracked with aches and pains throughout its body :(

A Guilding

Visit site
I'd rather it was glue. I can't believe that horse is being kept alive for any reason other than the owner can't bear her own pain if she loses it. I find it impossible to believe that it is not wracked with aches and pains throughout its body :(

Id agree with you. But that's a different subject. All the damage to that horse is progressive and irreversible.

cptrayes

Visit site
Id agree with you. But that's a different subject. All the damage to that horse is progressive and irreversible.

Different subject, I know AG :( It must break your heart when owners refuse to do the right thing by their animals and you are forced to work with horses you feel should really be put to sleep. I don't envy you that at all.