How often are pregnancies missed?

05jackd

Visit site
Also in breeding forum.

Mare took first time last year with Fresh and had a lovely healthy but enormous colt in June.

First insemination in July with chilled. Vet could see something on the scan but wasn’t sure so came back a few days later and decided not pregnant but she had a large Cl. We pg’d and she recycled.

Inseminated again with a 55mm follicle and again scanned not pregnant but has a large Cl 17 days post insemination and hasn’t come back into season. We won’t have another chance with the chosen stallion this year.

I will tease with our stallion in a few days and see if any change in behaviour.

Just wondering how many people have had pregnancies missed?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Not me but a friend. Mare went to stallion, unfortunately sustained injury, went to vet, went back to stallion then returned home. Scans were done and nothing found. Friend packed suitcase and was on way to airport when she got a call to say a colt had been born!!

sunnyone

Visit site
A long while ago now. Mare went to stallion, scanned in foal but required a check for twins once home. Local vet scoped her, and said no foal. I had my reservations due to her friendly behaviour, which was not normal.
Mare went out on winter/ spring loan to pony clubbers. Local vet goes along to see another pony and asks "When is that mare due?" Loaners' mum "You told the owner she wasn't due this year!"
Frantic phone calls for me to collect mare and start feeding her up ensued.
Colt was born on time but as I'd booked a holiday away for the dates I wasn't expecting a foal the vet took charge and came twice a day to look after the pair of them for nothing.

I was talking to a French vet about this same subject earlier this week and he said he'd only ever met 1 vet who could be 100% sure every time, and he'd died without passing on his technique.