how often do u send a nappy horse away for schooling

EJ87

Visit site
My mare is very nappy and always has been she was away in may for schooling and came back brilliant with no napping apart from when she was in season. but she has had a couple of bolts of colic recently and has now became very nappy again. so i was goin to send her away again. just wondered if anyone else has to do this regularly with nappy horses?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nope, just deal with it at home.

You may want to look at what you're doing or not doing which is re-inforcing the napping.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No, I have not sent my mare away for schooling. I had lots of lessons instead, so that I became a better rider and learnt how to deal with her napping myself. I thought that that was a better use of my money. ;)

EJ87

Visit site
I have been having weekly lessons on her for over a year but unfortunately i fin it very hard to sit to her bucks when she decides she does not want to move forward or stay on when she decides to drop her shoulder at a 30cm jump and when im on the ground she wins plus my confidence gets shattered.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Maybe she isn't the horse for you. I don't say this to be mean, it's just that a nappy horse always has that tendency, you have to learn how to nip the napping in the bud before it escalates (or even better learn how to stop it from happening at all). If you want to stick with this horse, then maybe try a different instructor?

Karran

Visit site
Can you 'tell' when she wants/is going? Idiotpony is now rather obvious when he drops his shoulder to buck so I can take evasive action.

tls

Visit site
Take her hunting instead. I had a really nappy mare took her hunting a few times and she is now a totally different horse, she doesn't even think about napping any more.