How often do you bath your dog?

madmav

Visit site
My dog is as black as coal so no dirt ever shows. Hence he is rarely bathed. Did do him the other day as his dreaded scurfy dandruff is back. He looked so shiny and lush afterwards, I vowed to do it more often. Probably won't as he finds it so traumatic. But, does he need it more often? What do you reckon?
I wish I could put a picture on here to show him all lustrous, like a shampoo advert, but don't know how to!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't think I have ever bathed the young dog - he is in the sea, then a freshwater river, almost daily. The older dog is bathed once a week/fortnight with Malaseb as he is sicky bad with allergies/a skin condition.

Fii

Visit site
Alfie, cold hose and washing up liquid on a fairly regular basis due to rolling in foxshit :(
Little Bud, very rarely! although he could do with one at the moment!

madmav

Visit site
I don't think I have ever bathed the young dog - he is in the sea, then a freshwater river, almost daily. The older dog is bathed once a week/fortnight with Malaseb as he is sicky bad with allergies/a skin condition.

My skin does not like Malaseb. Wore rubber gloves to bath dog, but it still set off the itchy bits. But then 'gentle' washing-up liquid does it, too. I have hopelessly sensitive skin.

Toffee44

Visit site
Buster (old english sheepdog) when he stinks/ needs a clip

Teal (springador) cold hose and horse shampoo coz he rolled in dead badger today only bathed him once in the 18 months we had him, he hated it

Dylan (rottie x lab type ) tried bathing him the other day but have up spot clean when dirty lol.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
Too often. B likes to roll. In disgusting stuff.... blerghhh

Last night she came and hopped on the bed with me before bedtime and she stank of fox pee. So I had to have a shower, she had a bath and my freshly clean sheets had to be changed again.... OH seems to have no sense of smell?!

Godknows

Visit site
Used to only bath about twice a year but as she gets older she seems to smell more so far this year she has been washed about 5 times and waiting for another warm day to do her again:D

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Not bathed him yet in the 2 months we've had him, he's black and very shiney but starting to get a bit doggy. I'm taking him for a shower at my parents this week before we go away this weekend and he meets all my friends :)

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Had him for one year, bathed 3 times so far.
He doesn't like rolling but does love puddles, we have wipes that we use to clean his legs rather than bathing him. He never smells like dog though. If I have a stressful day I just bury my head in his fur and sniff up :p

Spudlet

Visit site
When he gets too stinky. And boy, that dog is stinky! And when he rolls in revolting things. The worst thing so far was a dead seal... worse than fox poo even:eek::eek::eek: The bloke was looking after him while I was away, and even though we'd bathed him before I went, it was so bad that he ended up marching him to the hose, bathing him in Head and Shoulders and cold water (on an autumn night too!) then frogmarching him round and round the fields to dry:eek::rolleyes::D

Wundahorse

Visit site
My blonde Lab bathes herself several times daily in the troughs,there's no stopping her,and onne of my Collies does the same.Lab needs a good shampooing on a regular basis due to her rolling in any muck,animal or otherwise and reeking like a fox.She also immerses herself in the pool of mucky water from the manure heap when it's been raining.The collies rarely smell but the Lab does have a lingering odour which follows her like a cloud of vapour.

planete

Visit site
I get the dogs to wade through some deep water in the Forest before allowing them back in the car if they have been running on marshy/muddy ground. Have not given either of them a 'real' bath ever yet. The odd spot of washing up liquid plus cold hose if 'fox poo' perfumed though! The little hairy one does jump into the old bath water butt at the field when he is hot as well then drips everywhere:eek:

Hedwards

Visit site
Either when they've rolled (or in Millies case run through) something disgusting, or when they just smell generally bad, whichever happens first... They both get put in the bath and are washed together! generally get a 'we are not amused' look...

EE1D83F9-22C7-4F0C-A0D8-D8A677267E23-310-000000C0AC50812B.jpg

Dobiegirl

Visit site
The Dobes about once a year, havnt done it this year as the weather isnt great. Their coats are like black velvet and they dont smell doggy, if they roll in anything its tomato sauce rubbed in and then that area is washed.

The Lancashire Heeler is always getting mucky and is bathed more often but her coat is beautiful and shiney.

Im not a great believer in bathing dogs(old fashioned:)) as I believe it washes out all the good oils to keep their coats nice. I do brush them once a week though which helps stimulate the skin as well as ridding their coat of loose hairs.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My springer gets bathed when she goes to groomers for clipping, every 10-12 weeks in the summer otherwise she gets hosed down up the yard if she gets muddy

Funny how she jumps in every bit of water and mud she can find but is not fussed on a bath lol

conkers

Visit site
Mine gets a bath whenever she goes swimming in the Duck Pond. I try to avoid it so she can go months without one. Or have 3 in as many days when the little blighter manages to evade me.

NikkiF

Visit site
Never!! She's terrified of the hose pipe, and have tried everything to persuade her to get in the bath but to no avail :rolleyes:

She does go swimming in the lake when weather hot, but mainly use a rubber mitt weekly and petwipes if she's a bit smelly :D

Echo24

Visit site
You don't really need to bath dogs as the natural oils in their coat help their skin and fur and bathing can stripy these essential oils away. I rarely bath mine except for when he occasionally rolls in fox poo, or if he's muddy I just hose him off :)

111ex111

Visit site
My chocolate lab tends to bath himself in muddy puddles when we're out -.- but when It comes to an actual bath he is traumatized! ahah we tend to just leave him until he rolls in something

Twizzel

Visit site
On average once a week sometimes more depending what state she is in- yesterday I packed her off to dig potatoes in the tractor with boyfriend whilst I was working, picked her up in the evening and all her chest/tummy/bum hair was thick dried in mud, with those burr things in her ears (and all over OH as she picked them out then spat them on him :D ) Apparently she rolled in a bog, and spent 2 hours tied up to a landrover to dry before being allowed back in the tractor :D she desperately needs a bath today :(

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
I don't bath them unless they have rolled in something unmentionable! However the Springer goes to the doggie hairdressers every ten weeks for a cut and blow dry (which is FAR more often than I do!) and the JR is always taking himself swimming in the river / pond so his coat is normally pretty clean and shiny :)