How often do you clip your cushings horse?

Micky

Visit site
As title says really but more so during spring summer months? I seem to be clipping his donkeyship about every 4 weeks at the moment...and it’s warm! Don’t remember doing it this often last year..😳

Visit site
Whenever he gets uncomfortable to be honest! Not very useful I know but some years he's needed redoing very frequently, some years only once overall. This year he's had a full clip once and a couple of tidy ups - though the tidy ups were mostly because, at 29 years old, he decided piaffing throughout the preliminary clip was a good idea. *rolls eyes*

JillA

Visit site
Never. His symptoms, including hirsutism, are controlled with Prascend, so he is treated like any other except for restricted feed

Micky

Visit site
I didn’t have to clip this often, it cost seems to be growing quicker this summer..
Chinchilla piaffing..what a good horse..showing you he’s still got it..😂

ihatework

Visit site
I only did it twice a year .... October time, let it grow through winter then when it first got warm in spring

Shay

Visit site
I clip the non cushing cob every 4 weeks or so becuase he grows a massive thick coat anmd gets so uncomfortable. Our last cishings one was a sec A I think we clipped about every 12 weeks int he last year - but he had a thin coat naturally. You really just have to clip as suits them. Cushings and non cushings!

Micky

Visit site
Yes he wasn’t tested last September, low range as normal, this is the first year (6 years) I’ve been clipping him every 4/6 weeks from April, his white parts of his hair are longer than bay, doesnt help the tb next door has a lovely silk thin coat, maybe I should stop comparing! 😁

Lucky788

Visit site
My horse doesn’t have cushions
I clip the non cushing cob every 4 weeks or so becuase he grows a massive thick coat anmd gets so uncomfortable. Our last cishings one was a sec A I think we clipped about every 12 weeks int he last year - but he had a thin coat naturally. You really just have to clip as suits them. Cushings and non cushings!

Same as above - mines been tested but has always had an incredibly thick coat so he’s clipped all year round to help

Talism4n

Visit site
I do it weirdly, so may not be helpful. I start with a bib clip once the weather starts improving after winter and gradually take more off as it gets warmer, until the end of summer when I work back through to a bib clip in October then leave it over winter. The hair does grow back quite quickly, despite careful management, though my oldie was very hairy long before the cushings. Changing temperatures affect his breathing so I clip every few weeks to take off any new growth and any extra bits.

Lucky788

Visit site
Don’t know if this helps anyone but if you lister clippers they do covercote blades which leave 5mm of hair (or a normal horses coat length if you horse is like mine :D)

peanut

Visit site
Never. His symptoms, including hirsutism, are controlled with Prascend, so he is treated like any other except for restricted feed

Once my horse stabilised on Prascend, I no longer have to clip. She is back to normal with her beautiful summer coat :). I just have to be very vigilant for laminitis

wattamus

Visit site
Mine have to be tested every six months to be able to get my prascend prescription. That being said one is on one a day and the other on 1.5. maybe have yours tested again to see if levels are under control?
One isn't so bad with her coat so gets clipped in October then maybe January to keep on top of thick coat, other mare is the same but a bit more fluffy, however she very much struggled to shed her coat this spring.

Micky

Visit site
I’m getting him tested come autumn, I generally don’t have to clip him through winter, he doesn’t grow a woolly coat but come spring and summer, it grows..but like his feet, they like to grow in winter not summer.. cob x alien...

Tala08

Visit site
I used to clip my mare whenever she needed it to make her comfortable. Unfortunately, I could never get enough Prascend down her to help her coat as she completely lost her appetite as soon as I increased the dose. Clipping was the only way to stop her getting too hot & itchy - which ironically, was how I felt after I'd finished clipping her!